Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 11:43 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times

Advertisements

Everything I've read indicates Peoria is the oldest community. Whether or not the writers knew what they were talking about can probably be debated. The first building erected in the Illinois River Valley by Europeans was before 1699. But is was not where Peoria stands, it was across the river and south of where Peoria stands today. Peoria did not emerge where it presently lies. Tazewell County was part of Peoria before the State Constitution was voted on, and the present Tazewell County is where the first building was erected. This area is a bit like the age old question, which came first?

It is not worth arguing over, but it worth the time to find the facts.

I appreciate your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 06:42 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,079,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
metallica and lb? Heck, thats better than when i lived in tn and heard vanilla ice being blared.
:d

Old 06-17-2009, 08:21 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,647,326 times
springfield is a city on the decline. there is no industry accept state government and the hospitals.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:18 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,404,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
springfield is a city on the decline. there is no industry accept state government and the hospitals.
The jobs aren't all that great, but there's gov't, hospitals, SIU school of medicine, UIS, and a host of other insurance companies. I don't know if I'd say Springfield is on the decline...it doesn't boast the population losses like Peoria and Decatur, but it's not booming like Aurora, Joliet, or B/N. It's been growing steadily over the years.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:08 PM

421 posts, read 1,566,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Metallica and LB? Heck, thats better than when I lived in TN and heard Vanilla Ice being blared.
I hear ya!! I'm a guy in my 30's, and I like Metallica, as do most guys my age. Metallica has been a great band from a musical standpoint, and has also written some decent lyrics over the years. At least these guys are listening to Metallica, and not to the obscene, vulgar rap garbage that the twentysomethings in some other areas are into. Metallica speaks out against drug use and its' ill effects, as well as against corrupt politicians, liars, and wealthy hypocrites. Metallica is now considered classic rock, and is part of the musical inheritance of Generation X. In this day and age of crude, offensive, non-musical rap and post-grunge bands that all sound like Nickelback, someone who is offended by Metallica is either really old, highly prudish, or just stuck in a time warp. Metallica is now classic rock, and is played on classic rock stations along with Ted Nugent, another musician who was once considered rebellious.

These days, us guys in our thirties are playing our Metallica, Van Halen, Scorpions, and Yngwie Malmsteen albums loud in our cars not just because we love great guitar solos, but also because we are trying to drown out that moronic bass beat coming from the cars of white boys in the age 18-25 demographic who want everyone to think they are tough, hardcore gangbangers who sleep with prostitutes and sell crack cocaine for a living. At least we were smart enough to know that pimps and drug dealers were jack asses, not role models, when we were younger!!!

Old 06-18-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
And those politicians are in decline too

Old 06-18-2009, 11:01 PM

281 posts, read 928,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
My personal feeling is if the Government offices were all in Springfield, and not in Chicago, it would be an entirely different town.
It would be an entirely different STATE! Of course the state needs offices in the largest city, but I agree, the practice of some elected officials--epitomized by our lately departed and unlamented Governor--to operate exclusively out of the Thompson building, with infrequent visits to Springfield is simply wrong. Quinn has improved the practice by reopening the Executive Mansion. We need to get the rest of them to follow suit. All state departments should be headquartered and staffed in the capital.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerguy View Post
It would be an entirely different STATE! Of course the state needs offices in the largest city, but I agree, the practice of some elected officials--epitomized by our lately departed and unlamented Governor--to operate exclusively out of the Thompson building, with infrequent visits to Springfield is simply wrong. Quinn has improved the practice by reopening the Executive Mansion. We need to get the rest of them to follow suit. All state departments should be headquartered and staffed in the capital.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:22 PM

278 posts, read 622,839 times
I love your post...you're right there is just something wrong about it! Springfield is where I was born and raised and my biggest fear is that I would die there. I have been away for about 25 years now and feel freed. I HATED IT!!!

Old 04-14-2010, 09:06 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Seems like some have not had the pleasure of visiting places like East St. Louis, Cairo or Ford Heights.
Springfield is a decent town and like many other (even desirable) towns it has some poorer, more run down areas. Doesn't make the town as a whole bad; I think some of the posters who completely trash Springfield, Rockford and other mid-size IL towns don't have the perspective or experience of really travelling the entire state, not to mention the entire US or Europe. Don't confuse boredom with making a place bad. For many boredom in a place is an attribute; it would be referred to as peaceful or quiet. Others like a place that is active and noisy and dense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois