U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2009, 04:34 PM

3 posts, read 6,133 times

Advertisements

It seems there's a vibrant Oak Park entourage here and I was hoping to get some recent information and advice. We're looking to move to Oak Park in next few months. We visited the area few months ago and it seems to offer all we're looking for: walkability, relatively safe (for being close to city), ethnic restaurants, proximity to Chicago and western suburbs (where I'll be working), vibrant shopping district with independent stores, high taxes (just kidding!), and an openness to diversity. We're looking to buy a house (aiming now in the mid 200s unless our current house sells) that is likely to appreciate in value within 5 years. My wife is an author who writes from home, so safety and ability to walk to coffee shop/artsy/independent stores within short distance are important. We don't plan on kids, so schools are not an issue.

Like most places, I know prices, foreclosures, and neighborhood conditions have changed a lot lately, and I wondering if you had any advice on safety, housing conditions, and stability, especially in areas north of Division, east of Ridgeland, and south of Madison (and especially S. of 290). (These are the areas we're most able to afford unless our house sells, as there are many foreclosures there.) Have these areas been hit especially hard? What are the chances of a bottoming out soon? increase in crime? etc.? How is the Harrison St. arts district developing? Would these areas be a good place to invest? THANKS!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 06:26 PM

11,543 posts, read 28,041,651 times
I sent you a Direct Message.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:23 PM

5,523 posts, read 12,994,157 times
You're better off posting this in the Chicago-suburbs subforum. But since I read it here, these are my thoughts.

I'd go south of Madison St for what you're looking for. There's not much within easy walking distance north of Division, east of Ridgeland. South of Madison puts you close to multiple business districts including Madison St itself, Harrison St, Roosevelt. Plus, you're closer to the el. Harrison St is quite nice and has several restaurants and coffee shops. I like it quite a bit even though I live in far northern Oak Park.

Regarding the near future, I wouldn't hazard a guess about appreciation potential. I think long-term its a good bet, but who knows about the next five years. Again, can't really predict about long-term trends in crime.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:56 AM

11,091 posts, read 14,111,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
You're better off posting this in the Chicago-suburbs subforum. But since I read it here, these are my thoughts.

I'd go south of Madison St for what you're looking for. There's not much within easy walking distance north of Division, east of Ridgeland. South of Madison puts you close to multiple business districts including Madison St itself, Harrison St, Roosevelt. Plus, you're closer to the el. Harrison St is quite nice and has several restaurants and coffee shops. I like it quite a bit even though I live in far northern Oak Park.

Regarding the near future, I wouldn't hazard a guess about appreciation potential. I think long-term its a good bet, but who knows about the next five years. Again, can't really predict about long-term trends in crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois