Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 11:08 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times

Advertisements

Actually the Sears Tower is the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere. The tallest "structure" in the Western Hemisphere however goes to the CN Tower in Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 02:13 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
I read several sources that state Chicago as having the tallest skyscraper in America. As far back as I can remember, the tall buildings were called Big Buck, Big John and Big Stan.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:49 AM

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
Illinois is peaceful, yet robust, little villages with "Heilman's Old Style" signs on the taverns, and miles of deep black prairie soil in every direction.

Illinois is little villages with cheese factories and residents who have Wisconsin accents with rounded "o" sounds, tucked away in the rolling hills amongst the dairy farms.

Illinois is a town with hills that rival Pittsburgh where residents once mined lead for a living.

Illinois is medium-sized cities that are frequently rated as having crime problems and as being bad places to live, but that are actually quite decent compared to cities in other states.
Illinois gets a bum rap about farms from folks who travel frequently through the state on I-55. They don't "get" that Illinois is farming state with almost 80,000 farming families.

I recently read in some survey that Peoria is ranked nationally as #51 of the 300 best cities to live in. I wish now I had the URL. I almost dropped my coffee cup when I read it.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:13 PM

818 posts, read 2,170,904 times
Default Tornado clerifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Then you should know that IL's tornado frequency and overall potency is VERY small compared to TX, OK, KS, etc. Like I said, dont complain about our weather because there is always somewhere that has it much worse.
Although Illinois tornado frequency is small compared to Oklahoma, parts of Texas, Missouri, Kansas, and Nebraska, it is still quite high for worldwide standards. There is no place in the world with a greater number of tornadoes per year than the US. The frequency of tornadoes in Illinois is nowhere near negligible or insignificant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I Peoria has very few twisters compared to B-N and Springfield. I watched the twister that hit Peoria in the 60s.
Maybe Peoria just happened to not get hit by a tornado since the 1960s, but the likelihood of a tornado does not vary too much in that short of a spatial scale in the absence of mountains or bodies of water. Peoria's tornado likelihoods are probably almost exactly the same as Bloomington/Normal's.

Quote:
OK twisters normally spawn in Texas. The cross the river and hit OKC and then Tulsa. Once they get close to the MO border they may turn north or drop south on continue along 1-44.
Tornadoes do not last that long. The May 3, 1999 tornado to hit Moore, OK (F5) originated near Chickasha, OK, and that was one of the longer lasting individual tornadoes. If there are tornadoes in OK, TX, MO, in the same day it is because multiple tornadoes spawned from the same synoptic storm. Additionally, within tornado alley, there is no specific preferred genesis point for a tornado, with the possible exception of the region near Sterling, CO where they form as a result of the "Denver Cyclone" due to the topography/ Palmer Divide.

Sorry longwinded- but I studied this stuff

Old 06-29-2009, 03:38 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,188 times
Tennessee actualy has the most deadly tornadoes and the most tornadoes that strike between 12 and 6 am. The two statistics go hand in hand. A common misconception is that Oklahoma or Kansas would have the most deadly tornadoes but a lot of their twisters occur in the afternoon and evening hours when people are still awake with their television sets on. So, they have time to prepare for them unlike their Tennesseean counterparts who are often sound asleep when their F3's and F4's strike in the middle of the night.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:43 PM

Here's my post on Ok tornadoes for 133 years

//www.city-data.com/forum/oklah...ap-county.html

Old 07-04-2009, 02:09 AM

58 posts, read 169,996 times
You forgot surprisingly humid.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:12 AM

58 posts, read 169,996 times
Quote:
I recently read in some survey that Peoria is ranked nationally as #51 of the 300 best cities to live in. I wish now I had the URL. I almost dropped my coffee cup when I read it.

I'm pretty sure BN and Chicago are in the top 100 too.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABiologyTeacher View Post
I'm pretty sure BN and Chicago are in the top 100 too.
Actually there were 5 Illinois cities mentioned. Peoria was the only one mentioned that was not in the Chicago area.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABiologyTeacher View Post
You forgot surprisingly humid.
Surprisingly humid?

Between the lakes, streams, great rivers and Lake Michigan, Illinois is almost a peninsula.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois