Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,352 times

Advertisements

After 5 years in the hell hole that is Tucson Az, I have talked my wife into moving back to Illinois which is where I grew up. We have been looking for a town with a decent tourism trade (I have worked in hospitality for years) but where the cost of living isnt sky high (Chicago). We are hoping find somewhere where crime isnt skyhigh and the schools are decent (not Peoria). I loved the small town feel that I had in Morton, but know that area offers little in tourism. We are young and just starting out in life so this will be the place we grow and really put down roots. Any advice would be more then appreciated.

Last edited by x82nd; 04-14-2007 at 07:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 10:55 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Small town, reasonable cost of living (certainly compared to Chicago), low crime and decent (though maybe not outstanding) schools? Sounds like you're looking for Galena.

Have you considered looking a little bit north? Many parts of rural Wisconsin do pretty good tourism business, particularly those that have good fishing and boating opportunities.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:18 PM

24 posts, read 168,642 times
New Harmony IN

Old 07-13-2007, 03:35 PM

275 posts, read 1,124,854 times
You could live in Edwardsville/Glen Carbon area (great schools), and work in St. Louis - just 30 minutes away. Good luck!

Old 07-13-2007, 04:33 PM

202 posts, read 270,984 times
Galena would be my vote for non-Chicago tourism industry and smaller town vibe. I know nothing about their school district, however.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:55 AM

4 posts, read 10,339 times
Default The Great River Road in Jersey County!

All of those little towns in Jersey County are wonderful! and the tourism is growing the senic byway on the great river road is beautiful!!!

Old 08-19-2007, 06:22 AM

474 posts, read 2,538,935 times
Default A Few Short Comments About Illinois

In reality, Illinois does not have a level of tourism as some of the Western states. Yes, we have Chicago for tourism - - and we also have Galena, Illinois that is very nice.
On the flip side, we do not have the Grand Canyon or even Zion National Park.
If you want to find employment in the 'Hospitality' field, it is my belief that you are going to end up in an expensive area of Illinois. That's just the way the 'formula' works - - actually, everywhere.
For a moment, Consider Gatlinburg, Tennessee. It is a beautiful tourist locale. So there is congestion EVERYWHERE in that area and with extremely expensive homes. Another similar town would be Pidgeon Forge quite close to Gatlinburg.
So one or the other of the 'formula' works okay but not both. In other words, living near one of the few Illinois tourism areas, is going to cost a lot of money for one's home.
Illinois can be 'loosely' divided in North and South. If one wants inexpensive housing and a good job, then move South of Springfield, Illinois. Starting around Effingham, Illinois - - that area starts what is known as the Bible Belt. Down there, people are very gracious / friendly and it doesn't cost a small fortune to live there. 'Hope this helps you with your decisions.

Best Regards,

Carter Glass

Old 08-20-2007, 11:43 AM

20 posts, read 155,642 times
Southern Illinois would definitely be more reasonable in living expenses than the Chicago area. You might find opportunities in the hospitality field in the St. Louis Metro-East communities of Fairview Heights, O'Fallon, and Collinsville, plus new hotels planned for Belleville. Collinsville has the Gateway Convention Center and Fairview Heights has the Four Points Sheraton with The Fountains Conference Center. Belleville also has the National Shrine of Our Lady of the Snows. Or you could live in on the Illinois side and have lots of choices in the hospitality/tourism fields in St. Louis.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:52 AM

20 posts, read 155,642 times
Forgot to mention that O'Fallon, IL is also building a conference center with two more hotels on Interstate 64 about 15-16 miles east of St. Louis.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:49 PM

365 posts, read 1,253,137 times
Outside of Chicago, I would say Galena is probably the #1 tourist attraction with what you're looking for. Also consider Shawnee National Forest area; Nauvoo, which I've heard is experiencing a resurgence in popularity; Quincy/Hannibal; St. Louis -- or go north a bit into Wis., for Lake Geneva. What about Door County, WI (the "Cape Cod of the Midwest")?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois