Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 01:19 PM

20 posts, read 155,648 times

Advertisements

The focus for commercial development seems to still gravitate to upper Alton along the Homer Adams Parkway has it has for years with the addition of the home improvement stores and restaurants. Alton Square, built in the late 70's, was just purchased by a Texas-based company earlier this month and there is talk about opening a library branch and movie theater there. I'm still amazed that there hasn't been a replacement of the old Alton Cine' that was closed down many years ago. Broadway just doesn't seem the same without the steel mill, glass works, and other industry but the College area seems to be hanging in there from what I can tell. As for residential real estate, sales are down this year by about 12.5%, but still in line with comparable figures from 2005 which is a plus. The median price has risen to $82,250, which is just shy of a 7% increase compared to last year. (Source: SIRMLS) The median is typical for the Alton-East Alton-Wood River areas and I would say that one reason is the lack of much new construction homes being built. Bethalto and Godfrey seem to be the places to build these days.

I enjoy the historical and scenic ties that Alton has to Abraham Lincoln/Steven Douglas, Elijah Lovejoy, Robert Wadlow, the Great River Road, and the Piasa Bird legend, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 09:25 AM

2 posts, read 7,222 times
They're also building up the Riverfront, not just Homer Adams. There's an amphitheatre being built on the riverfront at the moment.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:03 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,546,355 times
I had forgotten that I had started this thread way back when...didn't get any answers for awhile, so I forgot about it. My husband was raised in Alton, and now thinks he may want to relocate there...which is why I checked out the IL forum again. We live in California now and are both retired. We have our family here, and although it's tempting to move someplace less hectic, without gridlock traffic and a boatload of people always heading in your direction, it kinda scares me a bit. Needless to say, some of these posts kind of put me off too!! But thanks for all your views and information. I do really appreciate it!

Old 10-08-2007, 12:08 PM

285 posts, read 1,068,214 times
Then check out other places in the metro-east; Edwardsville, Glenn Carbon, Granite City, Fairview Heights, Shiloh, O'Fallon, Belleville, Caseyville, Swansea, Collinsville.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:17 AM

40 posts, read 262,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by will1001 View Post
While it certainly has problems, the town is overall quite nice.

The comparison that was made above- that Alton is "Newark/Gary/Oakland"... God that is rich. Obviously the writer has NEVER seen true urban decay- Alton is freakin' Ladue (a ritzy STL suburb) compared to the town which I now live in!

The best suggestion I can give to you: go back and visit Alton. See for yourself. I can promise you this: Gary, IN, it ain't!
Quite nice?? Are you sure you've actually been there before?

Dirty- yes, lots of crime- yes, nice- not hardly.

If Alton is Ladue compared to where you live now, you must live in East St Louis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois