Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 10:06 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,744,874 times

Advertisements

I thought I remembered a thread a long while ago, but I couldn't find it. I found a made in USA thread but since Illinois manufactures so many products, I thought it might be a good idea to list as many as all of us could think of. Even if we have had another thread just like this....new posters might enjoy this again.

Sure, the economic times has forced some manufacturers to leave the state, but that happens even in good economic times....we should always be optimistic and proud about the businesses which remain or are started in our state.

Each year I go to an Illinois food products fair at the Illinois State Fair Grounds and I'm amazed at the number of products... I think about 70 to 75 products ....wouldn't you know I can think of too many right now!

Here's just a few manufacturers I can think of where the product is actually made in Illinois. Feel free to list products/companies manufacturing in your area or anywhere in the state.

Abe's Carmelcorne Shoppe - Lincoln
Aunt Em's Gourmet Popcorn - Deer Creek
ADM - Decatur
Corn Products - Peoria
Mitsubishi Vehicles - Normal
Deere & Company - World Headquarters in Moline
Beverly's Dressings - Roanoke
International Paper Company (cardboard boxes) - Lincoln
Eaton Corporation (Electrical Supplies) - Lincoln
Butch's Pizza - Morton
Pease's Candy - Springfield
Excell - Many locations in Illinois
Jay's Foods (potato chips, etc) - Chicago
Caterpillar - World headquarters in Peoria
Aleece's Pita Chips - East Peoria
Country Bob's - Centralia
Hill Prairie Winery - Oakford
Collver Family Winery - Barry
Willett's Winery and Cellar - Manito

Last edited by doll lady; 06-25-2009 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: spell
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 10:28 AM

220 posts, read 675,193 times
Jays are no longer made in Chicago
IP has a few Illinois plants, not just Lincoln

Plochmans Mustard- Manteno
Equal sweetner- Manteno

Old 06-25-2009, 01:49 PM

148 posts, read 624,022 times
Don't forget the two tastiest (but probably not so good for you) products made in Central Illinois

Mel-o-Cream Donuts - Springfield, IL (tastiest donuts ever!)
Kitchen Cooked - Farmington, IL (Insanely good chips)

Old 06-25-2009, 02:36 PM

8 posts, read 50,905 times
Ski soda - Breese

Old 06-25-2009, 02:54 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Koops Barrel Mustard - Chicago
Fanny May Candy - Chicago
Funk Grove Pure Maple Syrup Shirley, IL
AMD Peoria, IL
Keystone Steel and Wire Peoria, IL
Maui Jim's Sunglasses Peoria, IL
Kitchen Cooked Potato Chips Farmington, IL
Lost Creek Pottery Manito
Kickapoo Creek Winery Edwards, IL
Mackinaw Valley Vineyard Mackinaw
Trefzger's Bakery Peoria
John S. Rhodell Brewery Peoria
30 other Illinois wineries .
Illinois Wineries IL

Old 06-25-2009, 03:48 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,744,874 times
My goodness...how could I forget Mel-O-Cream donuts!! Some declare theose donuts the best in the land....I sure like them over Krispy Kreme.

I also forgot
A.E. Staley - Decatur
Carl Buddig Meats -
Illinois Forest Products - Beardstown
Midwest Biodiesel Products - South Roxana
Nudo Products - Springfield
Keystone Wire - Bartonville
Dupont - Several plants in the state
Peerless Of America- Effingham

And I know there is a business in Clinton which is manufacturing some part for wind turbines but I don't know the name of it but I think it's owned by a Texas company but manufactured in Clinton. And I thinkread that Pabst moved some headquarter offices to Chicago area.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:48 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Not to get too far afield, but it seems Illinois is global despite the naysayers. I chuckle every time I use my newfangled energy efficient washer. It was designed in Italy, manufactured in Canada and sold in Illinois. Fifty years ago this was impossible.

Speaking of manufacturing, we don't think about the small foundries or machine shops that cast and build parts that are shipped globally.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:02 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
Elgin sweepers - the street sweepers - I drive past the factory every day.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doll lady View Post
And I thinkread that Pabst moved some headquarter offices to Chicago area.
At one time Pabst had a brewery in Peoria Heights, IL which they closed in 1982. I read that Pabst doesn't directly produce beer anymore. They closed their last brewery several years ago. All the beer brands produced under the Pabst named are actually contract brewed through other breweries (e.g. Miller) using Pabst recipes and labeled and sold as Pabst beers.

I think the largest Illinois based brewery that actually makes beer in Illinois is Goose Island Brewery in Chicago.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:38 PM

Default Mel-O-Cream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doll lady View Post
My goodness...how could I forget Mel-O-Cream donuts!! Some declare theose donuts the best in the land....I sure like them over Krispy Kreme.
Right On! Mel-O-Cream is one of the things I miss about Springfield. Lester's Donuts in Peoria are pretty good, but nothing can compare to Mel-O-Cream. I really wish they'd open a store in Peoria, the closest store is in Lincoln.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois