Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 09:26 PM

14 posts, read 44,487 times

Advertisements

I was recently driving from central Ohio to the Quincy, Il area, and upon entering Champ-Urbana, I somehow ended up going 57 South all the way to Effingham! I was T.O.'ed, to quote Kip. There are NO mile markers and very few exits, and the ones there are must not be marked at all. I spent several miles just looking for a sign that I was on I-72 west, to no avail.

Needless to say, this little detour cost me about 2.5 hours of travel and $20 in gas!

Why in the world does Illinois have the worst marked highways in the US? To boot, they're mailing out $375 speeding tickets to folks who speed past a camera set up in construction zones. Why can't they afford some signs, then?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 09:46 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Uhm.... shut up. There are mile markers at least every mile. You passed by at least 70 of them on your way to Effingham. There are 9 exits between Champaign and Effingham, all of which are mile-marked themselves just in case you didn't see any of the 70-some mile markers on the side of the road, and all of which are immediately followed by an interstate designation and direction sign. If it took you until Effingham to figure out you were on the wrong interstate, the problem was not signage, it was the navigator. So get a Garmin and can it.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:47 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,404,312 times
I've been on that expressway, and there are definitely signs and mile markers ... You couldn't tell you were going south for that long of a time?

Sorry to sound apathetic, but I've been detoured on the turnpikes in NY, PA, and MA and the expressways in IL are nothing by comparison for few exits and costly detours...

Old 06-30-2009, 09:59 PM

274 posts, read 709,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I've been on that expressway, and there are definitely signs and mile markers ... You couldn't tell you were going south for that long of a time?

Sorry to sound apathetic, but I've been detoured on the turnpikes in NY, PA, and MA and the expressways in IL are nothing by comparison for few exits and costly detours...
That's because we are from this area. To the OP, just make sure you read the signs and you'll be fine.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:02 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,404,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opkl View Post
That's because we are from this area. To the OP, just make sure you read the signs and you'll be fine.
...haha maybe, except above the signs it says "South"

Old 06-30-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Well OP, pay attention.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
I know I-57 has a lot of mile signs with cities and towns listed on them. If you just saw places like Mt.Veron, Cairo, Memphis, etc. and no sign for Quincy, that alone should have alerted you. Hope the OP doesn't find us being rude.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:25 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkIll View Post
I was recently driving from central Ohio to the Quincy, Il area, and upon entering Champ-Urbana...

Why in the world does Illinois have the worst marked highways in the US?...!
I am sure you have driven in all 50 states.

I smell B.S.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:29 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I am sure you have driven in all 50 states.

I smell B.S.
The OP is way off base on this one. I have driven in 48 states-missing Alaska and Maine right now. Two weeks ago, I drove from Peoria, Illinois to Oakland, California and found Nebraska kinda lacking. Illinois actually has rather good interstate signs. The OP should try traveling in Hawaii. That is a real challenge. Most place names are in Hawaiian - not English. Add to that, that on the Big Island, due to the telescopes on the mountain, night lighting is severely restricted and the signs on the roads (there are no interstates) have no reflective coatings on them. You don't see signs at night from a distance like you do on the mainland. This is probably one of the reasons why residents drive so slow at night - they can't see where they are going!

Old 07-01-2009, 05:35 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,745,392 times
To the OP.... I was just on I57 the other day and there are lots of signs.....I would recommend going to Walmart and buying an atlas. I'm just confused on this story....sorry to question your statement but it just doesn't make sense to me......perhaps because I used to drive the roads of Illinois for a living.

The I-72 sign at Champaign which is very visable. Go to the next cited web site and I-57 Champaign pictures....look for the I72 picture....I think it's the 7th/8th down... under Champaign area and click on the thumbnail. This picture was taken by Joel Wade.

Here's the text about I57 and I72 Junction at Champaign:

http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-072.html

Relative to the cameras taking your pictures and sending you a speeding ticket.....why are you speeding in Illinois......cut your speed and you won't get a ticket! And be glad you didn't hit a roadside worker.....because you get a huge fine and you get to visit one of our fine prisons for a long while.....but think of the time you would have to study our maps of the state!

Here's what our Interstate signs look like:

http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-057.html

Last edited by doll lady; 07-01-2009 at 05:54 AM.. Reason: added site
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois