Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 03:20 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,093,890 times

Advertisements

I have always heard the Rockford horror stories and of course read them on here as well, so recently I decided to get off the Tollway and drive down State St. through downtown all the way to the west side.

Here are some of my impressions of Rockford:

State St. on the East side near the Tollway is completely lined with every chain store and restaurant you could imagine. Commerce lines the street virtually all the way to downtown. Before you hit downtown, there is a nice, older section...so far so good.

Downtown seemed dead, although it was a Sunday, but there were some small businesses here and there, but I have seen worse downtowns.

I crossed the river and left downtown and drove through the local neighborhoods. Here there was a much more run down feel, there were abandoned buildings and it was obviously the poorer area of the city.

My question is, is the city really as segregated as it appeared to me? Could Rockford be generalized in the following way accurately:

SW side, south of the tracks, heavily Hispanic. West side predominantly Black. NW side and the rest of Rockford predominantly white.

Comments please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 05:55 PM

572 posts, read 2,478,307 times
That sums it up, good job!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I have always heard the Rockford horror stories and of course read them on here as well, so recently I decided to get off the Tollway and drive down State St. through downtown all the way to the west side.

Here are some of my impressions of Rockford:

State St. on the East side near the Tollway is completely lined with every chain store and restaurant you could imagine. Commerce lines the street virtually all the way to downtown. Before you hit downtown, there is a nice, older section...so far so good.

Downtown seemed dead, although it was a Sunday, but there were some small businesses here and there, but I have seen worse downtowns.

I crossed the river and left downtown and drove through the local neighborhoods. Here there was a much more run down feel, there were abandoned buildings and it was obviously the poorer area of the city.

My question is, is the city really as segregated as it appeared to me? Could Rockford be generalized in the following way accurately:

SW side, south of the tracks, heavily Hispanic. West side predominantly Black. NW side and the rest of Rockford predominantly white.

Comments please.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:09 PM

342 posts, read 1,227,311 times
all the rockford high schools are really diverse.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:26 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,144,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldawg1594 View Post
all the rockford high schools are really diverse.

Yeah from what I researched, most of the schools are diverse. Rockford segregation is not bad as Chicago. I bet even on the westside, there are still some white people over there too.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:33 PM

47 posts, read 75,176 times
west side= police sirens every night at sunset you can sum up the rest

Old 07-18-2009, 09:18 AM

13 posts, read 54,804 times
Chelito, being a native of Rockford, I would say your observations are spot on as well. However, this type of segregation is not unusual in the Midwest, or - let's face it - in most metro areas in the country. The racial divide in Rockford is not nearly as combative as it was when I was growing up in the 70's. People have become more open minded (and being a very conservative place, that is saying something), but it'll never be the city with the standard to beat.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:26 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,093,890 times
Honestly Rockford did have its ugly parts but it didn't seem "that" bad to me. I remember several years ago (10?) it was ranked one of the worst cities in America, for what it's worth. I expected something like Gary, IN with that title. I was shocked to see that the majority of Rockford appeared decent, liveable, basically a run of the mill place. I suppose the majority of the people there don't share this view as I have seen and heard so many negative comments about the place. Honestly, I have visited other places which I would consider less desireable, I guess it is all about perception and personal taste.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:01 PM

It is definitely run-of-the-mill. But I'd agree also that you can live a very comfortable life there if that's your cup of tea. It is not a region full of great cultural and entertainment options. There are gems in the rough, mostly associated with the river and nature parks/sites. Food in general is disappointing. Few home-grown restaurants with anything but very ordinary food.
Rockford is in stark contrast to Madison, WI - a similar sized metro only 70 miles away. With a university and a far less conservative outlook, it offers a lot for a city of its size.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:43 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,104,201 times
Fifty years ago Rockford was a much different city. It is sad to see it in decline. Unfortunately this is what happens when cities get locked into a collective idea and do not evolve or learn to reinvent itself and time and fortunes change. College towns are less likely to do this as the student population changes constantly. If something specific doesn't work, it must change to survive. When it does not change, it withers and dies. The result is some of the older, beautiful, and once vibrant cities are forgotten and relegated to the past. Before Rockford can see a reversal, it will need a drastic change in thinking, and a lot of cooperative intervention by the people who love it and live there.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:20 PM

linicx, you're right on the money with your post. It is rather sad to see how the city has (d)evolved. Out with the old and in with the new cannot foster a great place in the context of urban planning. Large swaths of town have been left to decay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois