Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 12:05 PM

9 posts, read 15,716 times

Advertisements

My husband is contemplating a job in Champaign. We don't have long to make a decision so I'm looking for some input. We will be coming from OH. Not originally but we've been here for a while now. We have 3 small children, the oldest being 5. Obviously schools are important but we will most likely do Catholic schools. I want to know is this a nice area? Are there specific towns or sections of a town that we should look in? We will not buy a home being unfamiliar with the area. We will look for a 3 bedroom apt or townhome to rent that is reasonably priced until we feel comfortable making a purchase. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. As I said we don't have much time to make a decision and won't be able to visit first. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 10:45 AM

50 posts, read 144,662 times
Avoid the north side of town in both Champaign and Urbana, it is all black and has a very high incidence of property crime. Basically everything north of University avenue, the main east west thoroughfare conecting downtown Urbana and downtown Champaign. At night the kids from this Ghetto come down into the University district and basically steal everything that isn't bolted down. The University district has very high property crime and is a 24/7 drunken party scene for students from the Chicago suburbs. When I lived there on the first night I moved in I came out in the morning and found one of two locks on my bicycle sawed through, the second one was more heavy duty and held, but from then on I kept my bike in my apartment. Another year at the University as I was moving into my room I saw some black guy come running out with two full suitcases of my stuff and took off. I had seen the guy lurking around the building but didn't want to seem "racist" by locking my door before I made each trip down to my car to unload my stuff. A mistake I won't make again. Lots of homeless also congregate in the University district. South Champaign is where you want to live, that is the safe part of town and basically where all the growth is. Savoy is also a good area, Champaign's "suburb."

Old 07-23-2009, 10:48 PM

867 posts, read 2,129,770 times
If it were me I'd go with Savoy it's cheaper and not that long of a commute. As for Catholic Schools there are quite a few and a new catholic high school opened up not too long ago. I agree with Durian Beach stay away from the north side and you'll be fine. There are townhomes off Staley Avenue as well as off Bradley (West of I-57) so you may want to look into that as well.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:53 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,104,201 times
How's Rantoul? It used to be a decent little town.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:35 PM

342 posts, read 1,227,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durian Beach View Post
Avoid the north side of town in both Champaign and Urbana, it is all black and has a very high incidence of property crime. Basically everything north of University avenue, the main east west thoroughfare conecting downtown Urbana and downtown Champaign. At night the kids from this Ghetto come down into the University district and basically steal everything that isn't bolted down. The University district has very high property crime and is a 24/7 drunken party scene for students from the Chicago suburbs. When I lived there on the first night I moved in I came out in the morning and found one of two locks on my bicycle sawed through, the second one was more heavy duty and held, but from then on I kept my bike in my apartment. Another year at the University as I was moving into my room I saw some black guy come running out with two full suitcases of my stuff and took off. I had seen the guy lurking around the building but didn't want to seem "racist" by locking my door before I made each trip down to my car to unload my stuff. A mistake I won't make again. Lots of homeless also congregate in the University district. South Champaign is where you want to live, that is the safe part of town and basically where all the growth is. Savoy is also a good area, Champaign's "suburb."
the north side isn't all black, but the south side is probably still a little bit better. there are smaller towns close, like mahomet.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:45 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,705,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
How's Rantoul? It used to be a decent little town.
They don't call it Rantucky for nothing.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
They don't call it Rantucky for nothing.
Yeah it's really gone downhill since the base closed may want to stray away

Old 08-04-2009, 02:24 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,705,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04JETTA View Post
Yeah it's really gone downhill since the base closed may want to stray away
IMO it started going downhill before then. It's actually weathered the base closure better than one might have expected.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:29 AM

^^ Good point

Old 08-28-2009, 04:17 PM

3 posts, read 6,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durian Beach View Post
This is a total generalization. I live a few blocks north of University in Champaign, and find our neighborhood to be totally safe. We love our neighbors (and yes, some of them are black, if you must comment on race), and have not had any problems with crime or anything like that. True, the farther north you go, the lower income it is, which statistically does have a higher incidence of crime.

I think that C-U is a great place to live, and I come from the 'burbs of Chicago, myself. This town has so much culture, diversity, and things to do. It's great! The University adds a great dynamic to the town, giving it a bigger-city feel, especially with the Krannert Center for Performing Arts. The further southwest into Champaign you go, the higher the cost of homes.

PP mentioned Savoy--also a great town to live in, about 10-15 minutes from downtown Champaign. The towns that are more outside of Champaign get smaller and have a lot less diversity.

Since you mentioned you have two kids, I'll tell you that the public school system isn't the greatest. But, I was spoiled in a great school system in the suburbs, so perhaps I'm biased in saying that. There is a TON to do with kids down here, though, with parks all over, the children's museum, the fabulous newly remodeled library, swimming pools, recreation centers, the YMCA, etc... There is also a great Christian (not necessarily Catholic) pre-school called Little Hearts and Hands in Urbana that has a very good reputation.

I hope this helps! feel free to ask further questions if you need more answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois