Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 11:29 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times

Advertisements

OK, I believe New York requires hands free operation of a cell phone. Which means a headset needs to be used. So going "hands free" nationally is a good direction. Enforce it like seat belt laws. Now while we are at it, lets make helmets mandatory for all bicyclists and motorcycle riders. Next lets focus on the drivers who are shaving and/or putting on make up. How about eating while driving? How about the occasional moron I see reading a book or newspaper while driving?
Technology needs to step up and allow e-mail sending and retrieving via voice recognition technology.
So I am in favor of banning texting/e-mail while driving, but unless it's enforced-why bother? Does this mean I cannot read e-mails while driving? Is the headlights on while raining law enforced? How about the drive in the right lane unless passing law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 10:19 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,079,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
OK, I believe New York requires hands free operation of a cell phone. Which means a headset needs to be used. So going "hands free" nationally is a good direction. Enforce it like seat belt laws. Now while we are at it, lets make helmets mandatory for all bicyclists and motorcycle riders. Next lets focus on the drivers who are shaving and/or putting on make up. How about eating while driving? How about the occasional moron I see reading a book or newspaper while driving?
Technology needs to step up and allow e-mail sending and retrieving via voice recognition technology.
So I am in favor of banning texting/e-mail while driving, but unless it's enforced-why bother? Does this mean I cannot read e-mails while driving? Is the headlights on while raining law enforced? How about the drive in the right lane unless passing law?
The headlight law is for sure,but the left lane law is mostly used just for "fishing" expeditions.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:30 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,509,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I watched a demonstration on CNN the other night concerning avoidable things that distract a driver. The car was driven at 25 mph on a closed track. It was pre-determined it takes 6 seconds for the average driver to text and send a message while driving. The distance traveled was the length of a football field plus both end zones. I shudder to think just far that same car could have traveled at 65 mph?
Yes this is extremely dangerous and needs to be outlawed immediately!!!

Old 08-05-2009, 12:17 PM

78,394 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Texting\cell phone use is somewhat enforced albeit after the fact.

Let's face it, I have a friend that is an ex-fighter pilot. He could talk on a cell phone and fiddle with the radio and AC while driving just fine while another friend of mine can barely listen to the radio and keep the car on the road.

Those that CAN'T multi-task will have more accidents, have higher rates and in egregious examples HAVE been charged with reckless driving for causing accidents while texting, talking, shaving or having sex while driving to just name a couple distractions. lol.

With that said, it's hard to police this on the front end. Basically if someone is swerving all over the road, pull them over and ticket them whether it was caused by drugs, cell use or whatever. If they are driving along fine, leave them alone and go after the aforementioned swervers etc.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Texting\cell phone use is somewhat enforced albeit after the fact.

Let's face it, I have a friend that is an ex-fighter pilot. He could talk on a cell phone and fiddle with the radio and AC while driving just fine while another friend of mine can barely listen to the radio and keep the car on the road.

Those that CAN'T multi-task will have more accidents, have higher rates and in egregious examples HAVE been charged with reckless driving for causing accidents while texting, talking, shaving or having sex while driving to just name a couple distractions. lol.

With that said, it's hard to police this on the front end. Basically if someone is swerving all over the road, pull them over and ticket them whether it was caused by drugs, cell use or whatever. If they are driving along fine, leave them alone and go after the aforementioned swervers etc.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:05 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
I used to know a guy who would read books while driving the Interstate. That scared the crap out of me.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:43 AM

723 posts, read 1,046,061 times
That's nothing I usually take ten minute naps while driving on the long trips!!! LOL!!!!

Old 08-06-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
That's nothing I usually take ten minute naps while driving on the long trips!!! LOL!!!!
I let my dog drive sometimes....if it's not snowing of course....I'm not CRAZY,I know a dog can't drive for crap in the snow.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:26 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,745,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I let my dog drive sometimes....if it's not snowing of course....I'm not CRAZY,I know a dog can't drive for crap in the snow.

Whatcha mean yar dog can't drive for crap in the snow......mine can! I guess ya'll didn't use the the same training school I did for mine. Illinois has the most diverse and best dog training schools in the world! And I guess that dog cell texting class was a waste of money.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:42 PM

867 posts, read 2,139,882 times
It's illegal now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois