Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 12:57 AM

27 posts, read 93,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Ah, I live in Chicago and parts of our economy really suck. Sure downtown in great and growing but Chicago is far larger than downtown. There are literally miles of ghettos in town. The downtown area of Chicago is maybe about five miles by five miles. The city itself is 237 square miles.

As for white flight it did occur here but unlike many of our Midwest counterparts (say Detroit) Chicago has always had a diversified economy. Meaning that at one time this town had steel, the stockyards, rail roads, tourism, and corporate headquarters. A diversified economy softens the blows when companies leave. Also white flight out of the city did not mean that all the money left the city. Many of the white who lived out of the city worked in the city.

Also downtown Chicago is not comparable to the downtown of some small town. Small town downtowns are supported by the people who live there. You go to those downtowns to shop or see a movie. I mean shockingly people who live nearby actually drive to these places.

Downtown Chicago is a place for workers, tourists, and high income earners more than it is a place for the people of Chicago. If you live in town, it is usually cheaper and more conveint to go shopping or see a movie elsewhere.

As for down state, there is little the state can do about depopulation or loss of jobs. I mean even mighty Chicago has loss the stockyards and what is left of the steal industry is nothing like it once was. There used to be an area called printers row where books were printed not it is all apartments and condos the printing jobs long gone. Brach’s candy left for Mexico. Cherman shoes are now no longer made here. Scwhin bicycles long gone.

The population of Chicago is nothing like it once was and will never be as big as it was in the 50ies. Being able to manage and cope with decline is what sets apart cities that survive from those that die.

As for rural areas there is little hope because it simply does not take as many people to today to grow crops. That is why the land is turning to burbs. It also does not take as many people today to manufacture goods. The best that can be done is to attract some small scale cottage industries. Grow something trendy like organic stuff and realize that tomorrow can not be the same as today.

This statement in red, bold letters says a WHOLE LOT!!! That is the majority of the problem with rural Southern Illinois.

No one in this area wants any type of change...............It might change their red neck way of life if anything or anyone brought any change to the area.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 03:51 AM

226 posts, read 645,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishToLiveInSeattle View Post
This statement in red, bold letters says a WHOLE LOT!!! That is the majority of the problem with rural Southern Illinois.

No one in this area wants any type of change...............It might change their red neck way of life if anything or anyone brought any change to the area.............
Not all of us think this way. A good majority of us want change, but the powers at be (elected officials) aren't doing much to change things even after promising this that or the other.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:34 PM

27 posts, read 93,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhj867 View Post
Not all of us think this way. A good majority of us want change, but the powers at be (elected officials) aren't doing much to change things even after promising this that or the other.

The change I am talking about is amongst racial lines..............Give jobs to ANYONE that is qualified for the job, not just because a person thinks that white is right.

I will never set foot back in Southern Illinois again when I leave here for the second time.

I am ashamed that I grew up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois