Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2009, 10:13 AM

3 posts, read 6,737 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Just got married and looking at options for housing. Looking at buying 5 acers in a rual area to start a home on. Very new to this just looking for some tips to get started.

Is the best route to just go from real estate agent to real estate agent and compare prices and locations?

looking to pay 3k per acre

thnxs

Lee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 11:50 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Most brokers don't want a client who jumps around because the realtor that sold you the house has to split the commission with the realtor that showed you the house first. It gets messy. My advice is to use the realtor that has lived in, and sold houses in, the area the longest. These realtors usually know the areas and understand the community the best.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Most brokers don't want a client who jumps around because the realtor that sold you the house has to split the commission with the realtor that showed you the house first. It gets messy. My advice is to use the realtor that has lived in, and sold houses in, the area the longest. These realtors usually know the areas and understand the community the best.
looking for vacant land not a house it self but if i can find a house 10-15 mins from town that has a at least 2 acres i would be happy

Old 08-09-2009, 05:28 PM

990 posts, read 3,185,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by five33 View Post
looking for vacant land not a house it self but if i can find a house 10-15 mins from town that has a at least 2 acres i would be happy
Hello, out of curiosity what areas/towns were you thinking about?

But as to your original question I recommend starting out online, it will give you an idea of where cheaper land is what you can get for the price etc... then once you have found some property or at least an area you are interested in contact one Realtor in that place to help you look. But if you decide after seeing the land that it is not worth it then you can easily get a Realtor in a different town to show you land there. For instance if you started out in the Cairo area but then decided that you would prefer to live by Mount Vernon then you could easily have one realtor in each area help you because a Realtor from Cairo would not want to drive to Mount Vernon and vice versa.

Start looking online at Realtor.com, but make sure to search for land only or else you get tones of trailers, houses etc. that you don't want. In your price range it will be a bit hard to find 5 acres of land for 15k. You might be able to find something in Salem, Illinois for that price as when I drove through that area last weekend a real estate flyer at a gas station listed 9 acres of land for 14k so based on that, the Salem are might be cheaper. anyways good luck on the hunt!!

Old 08-10-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerichoHW View Post
Hello, out of curiosity what areas/towns were you thinking about?

But as to your original question I recommend starting out online, it will give you an idea of where cheaper land is what you can get for the price etc... then once you have found some property or at least an area you are interested in contact one Realtor in that place to help you look. But if you decide after seeing the land that it is not worth it then you can easily get a Realtor in a different town to show you land there. For instance if you started out in the Cairo area but then decided that you would prefer to live by Mount Vernon then you could easily have one realtor in each area help you because a Realtor from Cairo would not want to drive to Mount Vernon and vice versa.

Start looking online at Realtor.com, but make sure to search for land only or else you get tones of trailers, houses etc. that you don't want. In your price range it will be a bit hard to find 5 acres of land for 15k. You might be able to find something in Salem, Illinois for that price as when I drove through that area last weekend a real estate flyer at a gas station listed 9 acres of land for 14k so based on that, the Salem are might be cheaper. anyways good luck on the hunt!!

some were between Mt vernon and Marion perferbly i found some land by rend lake for 1.3k an acre but im not up for buying 150 acre's of land
if i have to give out more then 3k its no biggie i dont really need the full 5 ether just would of been nice id be more then happy with 2-3

Old 08-11-2009, 04:58 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
That's a wide range of area and you should be able to find places EVERYWHERE within that territory for your price range.

Good luck.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,118 times
Have you found anything yet?

Old 08-21-2009, 04:41 PM

62 posts, read 163,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by five33 View Post
looking to buy modest amount of land in Southren IL
Southren Illinois, eh? Well, it looks like you have the accent down pat. You'll fit in quite well.

Heh, heh. Just kiddin around with ya, Lee. Good luck!

Old 09-01-2009, 08:51 PM

29 posts, read 107,144 times
I agree with previous posters that you should start out online first to begin narrowing your search. Maybe take a road trip through the cities and towns you're thinking about to see where you'd feel most comfortable.

Then when you have a more defined geographic area of interest, contact a Realtor to begin finding land or properties with homes to fit your needs. Ask a lot of questions -- the first discussions between a Realtor and a buyer should be a two-way interview -- and make sure they are someone you like and trust because you'll undoubtedly spend a lot of time together during the homebuying/landbuying process.

Don't forget to visit a lender of your choice to get preapproved for financing so you'll know what price range you want. (There's nothing worse than looking before you know what you can afford. People always fall in love with the place that they can't have. So, to steal an advertising phrase, "know before you go.")

Once you've got location and price range sorted out, most of us Realtors can set you up with an online listing cart that will feed property to you via email when new homes or land come on the market. You should have plenty of choice.

Best of luck with your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois