Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 05:20 PM

41 posts, read 91,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I been to Peoria twice and its a fairly size city of 114,000. Most of the Midsized cities in Central Illinois are not doing bad with increasing population. Peoria is evenly half way between St. Louis and Chicago. Which of the two cities do Peoria people associate with more?
I lived in Peoria up until about six years ago. I guess it depends how you define "associate".

Looking at it from a sports perspective, baseball allegiances were very much a virtually even split between the Cubs and Cardinals. As for football, it's mostly Bears and Rams fans are virtually unheard of. With hockey, the Blackhawks were unheard of and those who followed the NHL were largely Blues fans. Granted, that was before the Blackhawks' bit of a renaissance this past season.

Local media certainly favored major Chicago stories over St. Louis stories since there was clearly a more direct impact on Peoria with Chicago being in the same state.

Schnuck's, a major St. Louis grocery chain, had a couple stores in the area, but Jewel and Dominick's had no presence in the area.

When people wanted to visit the big city, my observation was that Chicago was favored slightly over St. Louis, but there were significant numbers of people who favored St. Louis and would vow to never set foot in Chicago. My co-workers with children very much favored the St. Louis Zoo over Brookfield Zoo because the drive was about the same, but the St. Louis Zoo was considerably cheaper to visit since admission is free. I don't recall anyone talking about going to Six Flags St. Louis instead of Gurnee though. The Chicago are certainly won out in the amusement park category.

I guess my bottom line answer to your question is that both cities had major pull with Chicago having just a bit more. Personally, I thought it was nice to be located almost exactly halfway between two cities that have a lot to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 10:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I have to disagree. I don't know anyone downstate that really thinks much about Chicago one way or the other. Most downstaters are more worried about crops and weather than they are about how much tax money goes to Chicago. Is it a disproportionate amount? It depends upon the county you look at. Will County gets very little, whereas Kankakee County gets nearly 100% in matching school funds. Chicago and its burbs have a greater number of schools. I do not know anyone downstate that understands how tax money is disbursed that begrudges any school system the tax dollars it needs. .

All state taxes go to Springfield where the money is dispersed according to need.

People are human. We all need the same things to survive: food, clothing, shelter, air and water. Life becomes more difficult when the national economy is in a slump and there are too many unemployed, productive people looking for work.
I lived in downstate Ill (Champaign Co) for seven years. In the day-to-day, no one thought much about Chicago. Some people loved going up there for a weekend to see a baseball game, to go to a conference, or whatever. Some people hated it. Some people preferred to go to St. Louis for their "big city" shopping needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Another unspoken factor:

How much of it is due to demographic differences? In other words, Chicago (and to a lesser degree the burbs) are less white and less Protestant than downstate.
Well, in most of the cities of downstate Illinois, there is a fairly large African-American populaton, also a fairly large Catholic population. The small farm towns, not so much, but they don't account for a huge portion of the population.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:00 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I lived in downstate Ill (Champaign Co) for seven years. In the day-to-day, no one thought much about Chicago. Some people loved going up there for a weekend to see a baseball game, to go to a conference, or whatever. Some people hated it. Some people preferred to go to St. Louis for their "big city" shopping needs.

Well, in most of the cities of downstate Illinois, there is a fairly large African-American populaton, also a fairly large Catholic population. The small farm towns, not so much, but they don't account for a huge portion of the population.

Champaign-Urbana also has a fairly large Asian community. Its like the only downstate cities like that.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:34 AM

65 posts, read 294,904 times
What people downstate think about Chicago is their business. We cannot worry about that. We have lives.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:26 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoop89 View Post
What people downstate think about Chicago is their business. We cannot worry about that. We have lives.
I have not seen any posts from QC, Central Illinois, Springfield, farm towns on even the southern parts of the state that ask these types of questions.

I really don't know anyone in the state that cares - except the trolls that like to stir controversy. .

Old 09-11-2009, 10:54 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcgirk3 View Post
I am still fairly new to Illinois and live about 40 minutes north from Chicago. So far I notice that Chicagoans act like they are their own state. Why is that? Are they ashamed of their midwest roots? Are they just delusional p*****?
Heh......

I was born and raised downstate, but was no stranger to Chicago. I moved to the area to take a job, and spent more than 20 years there.

I think every large town has it's quirks, and Chicago has more than it's share. I met some very nice people up there, and then again.....

I always had to chortle when I would ask someone where they lived, and the quick reply was, "the city".

Oh.....!! *That* city!

Enjoy Chicago's architecture, food choices, music venues, the lakefront, and take the memories with you when you leave.

Now Naperville on the other hand............

Old 09-14-2009, 04:17 PM

101 posts, read 210,615 times
Bottom line: we're all proud to be from Illinois. Most of us like the same teams, we have the same politicians and we all know we're from the best state in the Midwest!

However, we are all very different. People in Chicago don't really think of the suburbs as part of Chicago. They tend to be true city people. People in the suburbs often say they are from Chicago. A lot of the "ignorance" said to be from the Chicago area comes from suburbs people who lack knowledge of downstate. People in Northern Illinois think of themselves as "Northerners." They have colder winters, shorter summers, etc. People in Central Illinois are all different. Rural Central Illinoisans might not only resent people from Chicago but also people from Peoria, Bloomington, Springfield, etc. People in Southern Illinois are more or less Southerners. They speak with the accent, have milder winters, hotter summers and identify with Missouri and Kentucky more than Chicago. Because of our wide range of geography, we're a very diverse state.

But I'm from Chicago and I LOVE the Illini who are downstate in Champaign and almost everyone I know does! And most people I know downstate love the Bears to death.

We are one state and we're proud!

Old 09-16-2009, 12:57 PM

127 posts, read 364,622 times
I lived in Springfield for the first 23 years of my life, and besides a trip when I was four I didn't go to Chicago until I was 24. I liked it well enough, but all of the people kind of freaked me out and I HATED driving through the city, if I lived there I would definitely ditch my car.

The only negative thing I can think of that people from Chicago have said to me in regards to living 'down state', is that I supposedly have a southern accent.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:36 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Illini_26 View Post
However, we are all very different. People in Chicago don't really think of the suburbs as part of Chicago. They tend to be true city people. People in the suburbs often say they are from Chicago. A lot of the "ignorance" said to be from the Chicago area comes from suburbs people who lack knowledge of downstate.

But I'm from Chicago and I LOVE the Illini who are downstate in Champaign and almost everyone I know does! And most people I know downstate love the Bears to death.

We are one state and we're proud!
I went to UIUC, and boy howdy did that whole "suburban kids claiming they were from Chicago" thing drive me nuts. I'd say "you'er from Chicago? cool, where did you go to high school?" and hear back some distant suburban place.

And that wouldn't bother me so much if I didn't also hear (and read in the Trib) suburbanites bashing Chicago on a daily basis.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,369 times
It is not that downstaters hate Chicago folks, they merely hate Cub fans. As we all know people become
Cub fans because they can't afford World Series tickets. Any downstater worth their salt follows the Cardinals. Downstaters like winners. There is just tooooo much waiting in Chicago. Why wait till next year, and then the next, and then the next year. Winning comes so much easier for the Cardinals. That, and they have a nicer, newer stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois