Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 12:25 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,745,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishToLiveInSeattle View Post
If you are an open minded person you don't want to live in this part of Illinois.

It is the most racist, backwards thinking, being in denial place in the United States.

Southern Illinois as a whole (and yes this includes South Western Illinois) is just a throw back to the 1960's.

I am ashamed to even admit and say to people that I grew up here.

It's too bad that you think this about Illinois. Perhaps you had a bad experience which other people didn't have or your perception of the attributes of the state is not exactly on target.

Apparently this part of the state is in pretty good shape. I have many relatives and friends and posters on this forum who just love it....and this part of the state seems to have stayed in existence so it can't be too bad. I personally could be classified as a throwback from the 60's so I really don't see throwbacks from the '60's as being a problem. Could you tell me just what is the problem with a 60's throwback and the meaning of your statement??

Any person who is considering moving to any area should always make a thorough check of the area before making a decision to move there. If you look at a variety of different posts concerning this area of the state, which have appeared on this Illinois forum, I think that the potential resident can see that the majority of people like the area and the OP will be able to discount posts which are not accurate.

Good luck to the OP. I'm sure they will make a good jugement call on where to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 12:41 PM

27 posts, read 93,968 times
The throw back to the 1960's is the racism that still is very much alive and well in that part of the state. It is not in good shape at all.

Look at the uproar with the bus incident. Belleville actually invited those Arian nation protestors to protest at the court house a couple of saturday's ago.............

I grew up in Southern and Southwestern Illinois (spent 18 years here) and left for 18 years. I have been back for a little more than a year and I can not wait to get out of here..............

All you guys need to do is to start having segregated proms like they still have in parts of Mississippi and you have the 1960's all over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doll lady View Post
It's too bad that you think this about Illinois. Perhaps you had a bad experience which other people didn't have or your perception of the attributes of the state is not exactly on target.

Apparently this part of the state is in pretty good shape. I have many relatives and friends and posters on this forum who just love it....and this part of the state seems to have stayed in existence so it can't be too bad. I personally could be classified as a throwback from the 60's so I really don't see throwbacks from the '60's as being a problem. Could you tell me just what is the problem with a 60's throwback and the meaning of your statement??

Any person who is considering moving to any area should always make a thorough check of the area before making a decision to move there. If you look at a variety of different posts concerning this area of the state, which have appeared on this Illinois forum, I think that the potential resident can see that the majority of people like the area and the OP will be able to discount posts which are not accurate.

Good luck to the OP. I'm sure they will make a good jugement call on where to move.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishToLiveInSeattle View Post
The throw back to the 1960's is the racism that still is very much alive and well in that part of the state. It is not in good shape at all.

Look at the uproar with the bus incident. Belleville actually invited those Arian nation protestors to protest at the court house a couple of saturday's ago.............

I grew up in Southern and Southwestern Illinois (spent 18 years here) and left for 18 years. I have been back for a little more than a year and I can not wait to get out of here..............

All you guys need to do is to start having segregated proms like they still have in parts of Mississippi and you have the 1960's all over again.

I am very discouraged at the terms regarding racisim alive in Southern Illinois. I personally am there quite often, for days at a time, and have many relatives in all of Southern Illinois and as I said before, my relatives and other southern Illinois posters have not mentioned it so I have to assumed otherwise until I see proof this is the case. I have not been able to find any sign of that in my internet searches for these type of facts.

I also have tried to find info on the fact that the city of Belleville invited Arian (??) nation protestors for a court house protest. I also checked for the word Iranian. Could you furnish proof of this statement? And in view of the federal laws public protests can be made as long as certain requirements such as registering with the city, etc are made.

People who are black and white and other nationalities live in harmony all over our entire nation. The 60's are past us and we all need to learn to live with mixed races in every walk of life. Yes, there are racists groups in many states, including Illinois. We have had a specific thread to address those types of hate groups. We all need to learn that one experience of an incident does not mean the whole bushel of apples are/will be rotten. That might be perceived as an inaccurate assumption. I hope to see more positive statements about Southern Illinois. I understand you are want to move because of your bad experiences. Good Luck on your move.

As far as I'm concerned enough has been said and I do not plan to respond to additional comments.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:21 PM

Racism is very much alive here in Southern Illinois as well as other parts of the country, but very much so here. I would have thought being Carbondale is a college town with a high % of students being African American as well as other races that this area would have changed by now.

The company that did hire my husband told him to "ignore" what other employees said to him. He was called "coon", the N word, etc.......The owners of the company told him to ignore it. According to the law, they were in the wrong for not addressing this issue. We have an attorney looking into this. He was not paid the same bonuses as everyone else, but had truck records that they pull from the truck computer better than anyone else in the company, yet they paid him safety bonuses of $30.00 and such. He co-workers often got $100.00, $150.00.

that is blatant and out right racism and being discrimiinating against another person that works for the same company.

I have also met with Mike Bost (our representative down here) and he said his hands are tied on making positive changes to bring about awareness and such when it comes to terms of racism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doll lady View Post
I am very discouraged at the terms regarding racisim alive in Southern Illinois. I personally am there quite often, for days at a time, and have many relatives in all of Southern Illinois and as I said before, my relatives and other southern Illinois posters have not mentioned it so I have to assumed otherwise until I see proof this is the case. I have not been able to find any sign of that in my internet searches for these type of facts.

I also have tried to find info on the fact that the city of Belleville invited Arian (??) nation protestors for a court house protest. I also checked for the word Iranian. Could you furnish proof of this statement? And in view of the federal laws public protests can be made as long as certain requirements such as registering with the city, etc are made.

People who are black and white and other nationalities live in harmony all over our entire nation. The 60's are past us and we all need to learn to live with mixed races in every walk of life. Yes, there are racists groups in many states, including Illinois. We have had a specific thread to address those types of hate groups. We all need to learn that one experience of an incident does not mean the whole bushel of apples are/will be rotten. That might be perceived as an inaccurate assumption. I hope to see more positive statements about Southern Illinois. I understand you are want to move because of your bad experiences. Good Luck on your move.

As far as I'm concerned enough has been said and I do not plan to respond to additional comments.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:48 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
The fact your husband is black is not the fault of Southern Illinois, It is *his* birthright. The fact that he works for an ignorant employer is not the fault of Southern Illinois. It was your husband's choice to work for this person/company. It is your husband's choice to remain there. It is not the fault of Southern Illinois that you married a Black man. It is not the fault of Southern Illinois that you live where you do. As Southern Illinois had no voice in your decision, why are you blaming Southern Illinois? It isn't that difficult to move across the river where you think you will be happier

Hatred does not become anyone. Hatred solves nothing. The "Blame Game" solves nothing, and usually nets disdain. The East St. Louis, Illinois area has always been a tough area to live in under normal conditions, let alone in a poor economy. Maybe a little research in the area would have saved you a lot of angst.

The bus incident proves nothing. The day after the new bite the airways and was properly distorted by the Internet, I watched an early morning interview on a national station with the young man who broke up the second fight. The incident, ugly as it was, had nothing to do with black on white. It was NOT racially motivated; there were eight white students on the bus. It was the seat. He was told to sit, he moved a backpack, sat down, and the fight was on. He had some cuts and bruises; he's in school. . The students involved in the fight were suspended.

The Asians protested; God bless them and anyone else who wants to protest. It is America! Thank God we can still protest. Grab your sign and go. Belleville's mess was on a Missouri bus. The driver did not do his job and he was suspended, too.

No child is born hateful. They learn it young as a child. I did from my Victorian grandmothers with their sage advice, "They are not like you." I chose to ignore those words more than 50 years ago, just as I do today. As ex-military I learned long ago, it is very easy to move, but I still take me and my experiences where I go. I can choose to be happy, or I can choose to be miserable and blame society everything on everyone else for my choices. Guess what? Society no only doesn't care, and they don't want to hear it more than once. .

I am sorry you are unhappy. I am sorry you did not look before you jumped. Pity only goes so far, and I'm fresh out. My child is dying and I don't have time to hold your hand, you're a big girl. Now, I found a 1000 jobs in one town on the internet two nights ago. You can do it too. Good Luck. I wish you love and a happy future.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:50 PM

Mod cut- rude

I am merely stating facts. He didn't choose to work for the company he was working for. It was the only company that would hire him.

Yes, it is our choice to stay or move and we are moving, way, way far away from here. We are moving to the West Coast where people will allow you to be who you are without being called names and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The fact your husband is black is not the fault of Southern Illinois, It is *his* birthright. The fact that he works for an ignorant employer is not the fault of Southern Illinois. It was your husband's choice to work for this person/company. It is your husband's choice to remain there. It is not the fault of Southern Illinois that you married a Black man. It is not the fault of Southern Illinois that you live where you do. As Southern Illinois had no voice in your decision, why are you blaming Southern Illinois? It isn't that difficult to move across the river where you think you will be happier

Hatred does not become anyone. Hatred solves nothing. The "Blame Game" solves nothing, and usually nets disdain. The East St. Louis, Illinois area has always been a tough area to live in under normal conditions, let alone in a poor economy. Maybe a little research in the area would have saved you a lot of angst.

The bus incident proves nothing. The day after the new bite the airways and was properly distorted by the Internet, I watched an early morning interview on a national station with the young man who broke up the second fight. The incident, ugly as it was, had nothing to do with black on white. It was NOT racially motivated; there were eight white students on the bus. It was the seat. He was told to sit, he moved a backpack, sat down, and the fight was on. He had some cuts and bruises; he's in school. . The students involved in the fight were suspended.

The Asians protested; God bless them and anyone else who wants to protest. It is America! Thank God we can still protest. Grab your sign and go. Belleville's mess was on a Missouri bus. The driver did not do his job and he was suspended, too.

No child is born hateful. They learn it young as a child. I did from my Victorian grandmothers with their sage advice, "They are not like you." I chose to ignore those words more than 50 years ago, just as I do today. As ex-military I learned long ago, it is very easy to move, but I still take me and my experiences where I go. I can choose to be happy, or I can choose to be miserable and blame society everything on everyone else for my choices. Guess what? Society no only doesn't care, and they don't want to hear it more than once. .

I am sorry you are unhappy. I am sorry you did not look before you jumped. Pity only goes so far, and I'm fresh out. My child is dying and I don't have time to hold your hand, you're a big girl. Now, I found a 1000 jobs in one town on the internet two nights ago. You can do it too. Good Luck. I wish you love and a happy future.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:57 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
I hope you enjoy job hunting in California. There are less jobs in California than than in Florida or Illinois and a whole lot more able bodied men who are willing to work for low pay to eat. A common cheap studio apartment is $1200 minimum. There are 12 times more KKK type groups in Californian than there are in the St. Louis area. Good luck. My kid lives in California. If you want to work in California now, you need to be a professional with a degree and experience or expect to do hard physical labor. The hard jobs, field work and gardening are all ready taken by Mexicans - and the illegals will not give you a warm welcome.

My African American friends did have your problems. But then again, they did not live in Metro East.

Last edited by linicx; 09-29-2009 at 08:33 PM..

Old 09-30-2009, 08:00 AM
tlw

98 posts, read 433,114 times
Well said doll lady and linicx.

The blanket statement slamming Metro East and Southern Illinois is ludicrous. You can find hate, racism, idiots, and narrow minded people in every state.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlw View Post
Well said doll lady and linicx.

The blanket statement slamming Metro East and Southern Illinois is ludicrous. You can find hate, racism, idiots, and narrow minded people in every state.

Thanks tlw. Glad to hear your comments. Illinois is a great state from the top to the bottom and from east to west...every city included.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:28 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tln427 View Post
I will be working in downtown St. Louis and would like to not get too far out (prefer under an hour commute). What are some good areas for families and kids?
If you choose the Collinsville area, you are probably looking at "giving" yourself an hour to get to work, even if it doesn't always take that long. Keep in mind that accidents can (and do) happen on those commuting routes. Also, the periodic summer thunderstorms sometimes brings visibility down to zero for a brief period and frequent roadwork necessary for repairs caused by the repetition of cold winters and hot summers. We used to live in C-ville and worked at the old McDonnell Douglas facility, taking 255 ->270. We always left an hour before work even though it was only 35 miles -- and this was back in the 80s.

I notice you are from Ohio. I'm not sure if you will notice a big change, given the geographic area, but it you are from a place where there is a lot of vitality, you can expect a slower pace on the Eastside, that's fer sure. We've been gone since 1990 (moved to NC) and visits back there are only for obligatory family visits. Otherwise, in comparison to where we live now, that part of Illinois is boring.

I expect comments from defenders and will say that my family helped settle parts of that state, moving there back in the early 1800s. My mate and I didn't leave until I was 30 and he was 40, so we grew up there. I know whereof I speak in saying that if what you want is a slow ramble of a life, it's there for you. In the older sections of the town you'll find houses with front porches that are still used, festivals that are widely attended, and people that are generally friendly. That's the way our family members are - people who have no desire to live in any other part of the country than that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois