Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 11:21 AM

4 posts, read 23,497 times

Advertisements

Hey folks,
I am relocating to Danville Il. for a job opportunity and need a place to stay for a couple of weeks before I bring the family.
Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated.I do have a very limited budget so the cheaper the better.Any comments on the Oaklawn Inn would be helpful.Thanks from Jerry in Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 12:47 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
here's an idea for you. go to maps.google.com and look at the place on street view if its available.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:16 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Here is a list of Danville Motels. Most of them will give you a weekly rate if they know you are staying for 7 days or more days. Make a deal. I've had pretty good deals with Super 8, Days Inn and Best Western - but not in Illinois. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=.

Oaklawn Inn looks good on paper and it does have a restaurant, but it is isolated. I would not like it as I do not know the area. It is an old motel that is very reminiscent of those where construction workers stay by the week. You can call the local cops and ask if there is a lot of trouble at the motel or area, too.
http://www.dexknows.com/business_pro...wn_inn-b145399

What you do not want is an eastern Indian run motel. I've had trouble with them in every one I ever stayed in. I had problems from filth to unchanged sheets, to bugs, to no light bulbs, no toilet paper, one towel for three people, no water etc.. It is not worth the aggravation or the savings. And there is always an excuse why 'that' happened. They are nice people who pinch pennies until they scream. .

Last edited by linicx; 09-22-2009 at 03:30 AM..

Old 09-22-2009, 03:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Isolation is probably a good thing in this case. Nothing good can come from being located in the heart of Danville, which happens to be an armpit.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:35 PM

1 posts, read 7,061 times
If you stay at the Oaklawn Inn you will likely die.

Every town has a hotel like this, stay away. Rooms at the Days Inn on Gilbert St or the chain hotels out on Lynch Road are a much better choice.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 6,861 times
jerrywex,I'm in the same boat. what do you recommend?

Old 03-14-2010, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 6,279 times
Do NOT stay there. The Oaklawn Inn is home to prostitutes and drug dealers. There is not a single good thing about it. The "restraunt" is a bar across the street. This is a ROUGH place!!! Be warned!!!

Old 03-14-2010, 01:55 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default I had to laugh!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by millionbux View Post
If you stay at the Oaklawn Inn you will likely die.

Every town has a hotel like this, stay away. Rooms at the Days Inn on Gilbert St or the chain hotels out on Lynch Road are a much better choice.
So the other motels in Danville have the showers plumbed into the "spring of eternal life"?

I get what millionbux is saying -- these old style motels probably existed back around WWII pretty well as place for travelers, but know the folks that own these places attract those with county housing vouchers, those on the way out of a halfway house and those that are up to no good. Sort of a sad reality that even a lot of nice suburbs have 'em and of course places with a ruined industrial base (like Danville) have too many...

Old 04-08-2010, 08:19 AM

3 posts, read 16,041 times
If you're looking for a decent place to stay, try the Glo Motel, or the Candle-Lite Motel on North Vermilion. Stay away from the Red-Roof Inn on Lynch Road. It's infested with bugs.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:24 AM

24 posts, read 77,136 times
Check out the reviews on Trip Advisor for Danville. That should give you a better perspective:

Danville Hotels: Read Danville Hotel Reviews and Compare Prices - TripAdvisor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois