Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 06:55 PM

55 posts, read 194,776 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to C-U area and we have a couple of concerns. First, we have considered Mahomet, St. Joseph, Monticello, etc. We find these areas have higher priced homes/property taxes and due to smaller geographical size, don't have a lot of housing or housing options available. Our youngest son will be entering his freshman year of high school, and we are considering public high school options in Champaign.

We are wondering which school is better in ANYONE'S opinion? I know Savoy has been mentioned, and it appears that those who live in Savoy go to Central H.S. Is there 'school of choice' at all? The school system we come from lacks diversity---and diversity is not an issue...the problem would be gang issues, alot of drug/alcohol use, and any serious social problems, fights, etc. If Champaign high schools have alot of serious problems of this nature----I suppose we have to "wait it out" for 4 years in the smaller burbs....and purchase a home later after he graduates---

Would LOVE to hear from anyone who has a thought on either of these 2 schools or ideas for relocation to other local areas in general

THANKS MUCH!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 04:13 PM

HELLO!!!!! IS ANYBODY OUT THERE WITH A REPLY???
Thanx!

Old 11-09-2009, 06:34 PM

342 posts, read 1,232,251 times
Interactive Illinois Report Card

Interactive Illinois Report Card

Old 11-09-2009, 06:38 PM

243 posts, read 477,748 times
Sorry......I think the 3 schools you don't want to go to are much better then anything the Champaign-Urbana public system has to offer. Both Mahomet and Monticello have very very good all around schools with a lot to do no matter your childs interest. St. Joe is not far behind. These are also much more family friendly areas then Champaign. Check the crimes rates of Mahomet/Monticello vs Champaign. You can found plenty of good housing which isn't as expensive with reduced taxes but in the school district in those 3 places.

Great schools ratings....

Mahomet high school....9/10
Monticello high schoo....10/10
St. Joe.......................9/10

http://iirc.niu.edu/CompareSchools.a...90100040260001

Centennial...................7/10
Central........................6/10

Old 11-09-2009, 06:59 PM

342 posts, read 1,232,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Dee. View Post
Hillcrest High in COUNTRY CLUB HILLS IS BETTER!!!!!!! test scords were 12.0 MOVE TO CCH MUTHA FURKERS!
oh my god you're so funny.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:31 PM

Thanks for your sincere reply. I did check on city-data for Centennial High School specifically, and the ACT scores for Centennial are higher than either Mahomet or Monticello. So academically it doesn't seem to be lacking. My son currently goes to a Jr. High that is ranked a '10' on Great schools rating, but the ACT scores are also slightly lower than Centennial as well. I see that Centennial is ranked 86 out of 100, and again- Mahomet/Monticello are not higher....basically in the same ballpark. This is why I don't understand, based on these factors Champaign schools get a bad rap. THANKS AGAIN--oneluckymug!!

Old 11-09-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Dee. View Post
Hillcrest High in COUNTRY CLUB HILLS IS BETTER!!!!!!! test scords were 12.0 MOVE TO CCH MUTHA FURKERS!

Last edited by molliecat1; 11-09-2009 at 07:46 PM..

Old 11-09-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldawg1594 View Post
oh my god you're so funny.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molliecat1 View Post
Thanks for your sincere reply. I did check on city-data for Centennial High School specifically, and the ACT scores for Centennial are higher than either Mahomet or Monticello. So academically it doesn't seem to be lacking. My son currently goes to a Jr. High that is ranked a '10' on Great schools rating, but the ACT scores are also slightly lower than Centennial as well. I see that Centennial is ranked 86 out of 100, and again- Mahomet/Monticello are not higher....basically in the same ballpark. This is why I don't understand, based on these factors Champaign schools get a bad rap. THANKS AGAIN--oneluckymug!!
There are a lot more things to look at then ACT scores when judging a school. By almost any measure you use, the 3 schools you mentioned first come out on top of Centennial. You should be able if interested to find acts of violence in the schools as well. I think your eyebrows may be raised in the difference between the Champaign schools vs those a few miles away. A very large difference that won't show up in any of the numbers is parental involvement and community support in those surrounding schools are far and away better then the Champaign schools.

You seem to have made your mind up on Champaign.....when picking between Centennial vs Central......the former is a better all around school.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:08 AM

I would also be interested to know what these ACT scores are.....

According to the 2008 ACT results, Mahomet, Monticello, St. Joseph and Centennial all had an ACT score of 22. When you look at all other measures of academic testing Mahomet, Monticello, and St. Joe come out way above the state average for reading and mathematics (sometimes 15 points over the state) and Centennial comes out slightly over or at state average.

Illinois Schools | IL | Education.com

Since they can only average the scores of the students who take it, I would be interested to know what % of students at each of these schools take the exam. If 65% of the students take the ACT at school 1 and score an average of 22 and 80% of students take the ACT at school 2 and score an average of 22......school 2 has by far the best results.......

I went to 1 of those 3 schools mentioned and 94% of my graduating class went onto college.......I doubt the same can be said of any Champaign public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois