Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2009, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 3,460 times

Advertisements

I am planning to buy a house in Lockport IL? How is it in terms of school district, crime rate and retaining house its value over time. Also, I was curious about the number of South East Asian families(Indian) in Lockport.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 12:19 PM

342 posts, read 1,232,167 times
it's pretty safe. the high school is only 1.6% asian.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:49 PM

947 posts, read 2,422,375 times
I am pretty sure you will do okay with property value if you move to Lockport. I actually put a bid on a house in Lockport about 4 years ago, but let someone outbid me, because I had doubts about if this was where I wanted to live.
Don't get me wrong, it is a nice area, but the decision was between Mokena and Lockport and we chose Mokena for our own reasons.
Those reasons were as follows:
My husband primarily works downtown as an install carpenter- and we needed to be close to an expressway. He rather do the 80-57-94 drive than the 55-355 drive. He timed the 55 route numerous times and couldn't handle it. Since they worked on 94 and it's ramps, it has gotten more efficient.
Lockport HS is very overcrowded. They keep voting down a new high school for the area, but it is sorely needed.
We love having forest preserves nearby, and the house we were looking at on 151st and Farrell didn't have a bike trail or woods close enough.
Taxes are high, no city water, a main thoroughfare is 159th, two lane street that screams for expansion, park district could be better.
On the upside, it has a quaint downtown, has gotten some good shopping nearby, keeps expanding and improving.
And 355 is a great way to zip around to the western burbs.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:29 AM

179 posts, read 486,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santosbgm View Post
I am planning to buy a house in Lockport IL? How is it in terms of school district, crime rate and retaining house its value over time. Also, I was curious about the number of South East Asian families(Indian) in Lockport.

Thanks in advance.
santosbgm:
Like any city or village, Lockport has its pros and cons. It is true that the high school is presently facing a challenging time. A referendum is greatly needed, but meeting with resistance. The high school has gone to split-shift days for the students. Another "go" at the referendum is going to be tried again soon, as a result. Taxes within areas of the village are a little high, so check if the particular property you are considering is effected by this. It is also true that "city water" or Lake Michigan water is not available in Lockport. But recent Chicagoland headlines suggest that the City of Chicago may be re-thinking their stance on the sale of their water to outside communities in the future, so be aware of this upcoming controversy. NOT having lake water may become a good thing possibly.
There have been recent additions to shopping and business that have greatly improved the area. Wal-Mart, Aldi's, and smaller franchises have recently established themselves in the community. The expansion of I-355 on the border of the village will mean easier commuting to the city, the western suburbs, and surrounding areas in every direction. Housing will remain fairly stable for the time being, and grow in the future, with prices reflecting those positives. A new hospital (Silver Cross new location and expansion) is also on the border of the township and will be a great service and addition to the town. The park district within Lockport offers a large assortment of recreation and learning opportunities for all ages, as does the library district. The Will County Forest Preserve has expanded and upgraded natural areas with hiking/biking trails very close by that are beautiful.
The town is represented by mixed ethnicity, but I am not sure of the exact breakdown regarding that ... especially for the Asian community. The school district would be a great place to start for that information.
Best of luck to you with your upcoming move and making the decision regarding that. If I can answer any questions for you, please do not hesitate to write.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
View detailed profiles of: