Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 10:40 PM

58 posts, read 215,757 times

Advertisements

Actually us people that oppose this cruel and unusual punishment for any animal do get many of these horses that are going to be slaughtered. Euthanasia is a much more peacefull end to a life that cared only about pleasing its owner. Horses have been with us since the beginning of time and have worked for us they are serve us and were not here to be abused neglected and then torchered and brutally murdered. PLEASE RESEARCH THE FACTS BEHIND HORSE SLAUGHTER BEFORE YOU ASSUME ITS OK. Quite simply ever since I learned of horse slaughter I began researching many different areas such as PETA and found just how much sense they do make. I mean look I searched for a loaf of bread in the store that had no enriched flour in it and I did find one and it was about 3-4 per loaf. I have been reading labels and I am pissed to know that our govt is allowing all of us to consume foods that are terrible for our health. So its not just McDonald's its everthing. So the one thing that is for sure is that I do NOT want a little pig to stand in a cage that is so small he can't turn around in or the conscious chickens that KFC sends into boiling water be something that happens to any animal on my account. So my family is making drastic changes in our eating habits. I mean they mass produce animals and then overfeed them fast and feed them antibiodics and hormones etc. So the food you ate was raised unhappy and unhealthy! I believe that when a person takes ownership of a horse it is a lifetime commitment and not just while they are making one money but to be tended to when they age. And when the time comes to humanely euthanize them if necessary. This is called responsible horse (animal) ownership. I have 6 horses and am commited to them until my dieing day. And if someone must get rid of their horse then they should do due diligence and make certain the horse will be cared for properly. They have a sixth sense that even us humans do not have and I have heard that because of that they can still hear GOD. SO for any of you who believe that horse slaugher is OK or any other kind of slaughter and miss treatment of animals then that tells a lot about your heart and I am just happy to not know any of you....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 10:44 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,042,579 times
I have come to the conclusion that the manner in which these plants were run was suspect, but I would NEVER rely on PETA for anything approaching sanity when it comes to researching and reporting on way the humans interact with animals. They are shrill and hysterical and do more harm to the cause of animal rights than good.

...and this is coming from a bicycle riding organic meat eating hippie.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:26 AM

98 posts, read 452,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I have come to the conclusion that the manner in which these plants were run was suspect, but I would NEVER rely on PETA for anything approaching sanity when it comes to researching and reporting on way the humans interact with animals. They are shrill and hysterical and do more harm to the cause of animal rights than good.

...and this is coming from a bicycle riding organic meat eating hippie.
PETA does have a bad rap, and I wish they didn't because they do tremendous work for animals. They have ended the suffering of more animals than any other organization I know. (Just this year alone they got Coke, Pepsi, Pom Wonderful, Welch's and Ocean Spray to stop animal testing, they got 6+ major clothing designers to stop using fur, etc.)

They DO use some tactics that some people find offensive. I used to find them offensive, but after I educated myself on the realities of animal testing, the meat & dairy industry, the fur trade, etc - those offensive tactics now seem like good common sense to me. (As in, if you know the truth about how we treat animals, you should be outraged.) I have attended some of their demonstrations and vegan outreach programs and they are quite peaceful, educational programs. Only the sensational tactics make the news, even though they are the gross minority of actions.

In any case, they certainly aren't for everyone, but they DO accomplish a lot of good for critters.

(It's also nice that thus far, this has been a pretty civilized, educated discussion on an often controversial subject. Great people on this forum!)

Old 06-05-2007, 08:32 AM

4,720 posts, read 15,558,307 times
Good post Schmoo,I agree with you.They have done some compassionate good,but some of their members tactics have tainted the organization and hurt the cause in reputation and probably in donations

Old 06-07-2007, 09:02 AM
SP1 SP1 started this thread

24 posts, read 75,113 times
Lightbulb Point Counter Point

I suppose that I must have come across here the same way that PETA does to the rest of us.

I reacted to the sarcasm with more sarcasm.

There is a lot of information out there that I can't put into this thread. I appreciate serious inquiries but if anyone is really serious I can share the links to information that has a list of resources. But I don't appreciate people making fun of this serious situation for our wonderful American horses.

I have opinions about factory farming and don't like it but at this time I have to focus on this single issue. So I don't get into what happens to other animals right now. Maybe I just don't multi task that well or this issue is consuming me.

Here's a list you can review if you have an interest and since you've come to this thread you must or why else would you be here?

Point - Counter Point
Myth: A ban could result in "unregulated shipment of horses to slaughter" and horses being shipped longer distances to slaughter.

Fact: Untrue. The passage of The American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act will prohibit the slaughter of horses for human consumption, as well as the trade and transport of horseflesh and live horses intended for human consumption. This legislation will terminate any legal option for sending American horses to slaughter within the United States at one of the three, foreign-owned plants or to any foreign slaughterhouse.

Myth: There has been an increase in the number of abandoned and unwanted horses in the United States, and a slaughter ban will lead to an increase in horse abuse and starvation or neglect cases.

Fact: There is no evidence to support these claims. According to the USDA, at least 5,000 horses have been imported into one of the three foreign-owned slaughter plants in the United States for slaughter since August 2004. If there were "too many" horses in the United States, then there would be no reason to import horses for slaughter. Furthermore, a ban on horse slaughter will not lead to an increase in horse abuse and neglect. In California, where horse slaughter was banned in 1998, there has been no corresponding rise in cruelty and neglect cases. In fact, horse theft has dropped by 34% since enactment of the ban. Allowing one's horse to starve is not an option—state anti-cruelty laws prohibit such neglect.

Myth: Transport guidelines protect horses shipped to slaughter from harm.

Fact: The 2002 guidelines allow horses to be shipped for more than 24 hours without food, water or rest, with broken limbs, with eyes missing, even heavily pregnant. Industry pushed to delay the prohibition on use of double-decker trucks until December 7, 2006. The regulations only cover the final journey to the slaughterhouse. If horses are loaded and unloaded at various places as part of their route to slaughter, only the final leg of the trip is covered. Enforcement of these guidelines will only occur once the truck reaches the slaughter plant, so these guidelines will have little preventative effect. These guidelines are wholly inadequate and allow extreme suffering in transport to continue.

Myth: There is no need for a ban because slaughter is humane euthanasia.

Fact: Horse slaughter is a far cry from humane euthanasia. "Euthanasia" means a gentle, painless death provided in order to prevent suffering. Horse slaughter is a death fraught with terror, pain, and suffering. Horses are shipped for more than 24 hours at a time in crowded double-decker cattle trucks without food, water, or rest. Pregnant mares, foals, injured horses, and even blind horses must endure the journey. Once they arrive, their suffering intensifies—undercover footage obtained by The Humane Society of the United States demonstrates that fully conscious horses are shackled and hoisted by the rear leg and have their throats slit. Because horses are skittish by nature, it is particularly difficult to align them correctly and ensure the captive bolt stun gun renders them unconscious. Unwanted horses should be humanely euthanized by a licensed veterinarian when no other option exists, rather than placed on a truck, cruelly transported, and then butchered. Most horse owners already use humane euthanasia for their older or ill horses.

Myth: If horses can no longer be slaughtered, their welfare is at risk due to the lack of adequate equine rescue facilities and uniform standards for them.

Fact: Standards of care have already been developed and embraced by the hundreds of equine rescue and retirement facilities that exist throughout the country that routinely rescue horses from slaughter. All must comply with state and local animal welfare statutes. In an effort to end the slaughter of racehorses, the New York Racing Association has partnered with other groups to launch the "Ferdinand Fee" to raise funds for the care of retired racehorses, and to honor Ferdinand, a former Kentucky Derby winner who went to slaughter. The organizations leading the charge in favor of a slaughter ban are the very organizations that are actively working to provide sanctuaries and solutions for any horses that would otherwise go to slaughter.

Myth: If a slaughter ban is passed, the federal government will face the financial burden of care for horses no longer going to slaughter.

Fact: This assertion rests on the false premise that all horses currently going to slaughter would become the financial responsibility of the federal government. Horse owners, not the government, will remain responsible for the care of their horses. Owners who no longer wish to keep their horses and who cannot sell or place their horses in a new home will have the option of humane euthanasia. The average cost for veterinarian-administered euthanasia and carcass disposal—approximately $225, the cost of one month's care—is simply a part of responsible horse ownership.

Myth: Ending horse slaughter will cause environmental harm.

Fact: Hundreds of thousands of horses are safely disposed of annually by means other than slaughter, and the infrastructure can absorb an increase in numbers. Conversely, the operation of the horse slaughterhouses has a very real negative environmental impact, with two out of the three in violation of current environmental law related to the disposal of blood and other waste materials. Mayor Paula Bacon of Kaufman, Texas—the home of one of the three horse slaughter plants in the United States—desperately states "Dallas-Crown is operating in violation of a multitude of local laws pertaining to waste management, air quality and other environmental concerns... Residents are also fed up with the situation. Long-established neighbors living adjacent to the plant cannot open their windows or run air conditioners without enduring the most horrific stench."

Myth: A prohibition on horse slaughter creates a negative precedent for beef, pork, and poultry producers by legitimizing efforts to end consumption of food derived from any animal.

Fact: Americans don't eat horses, and unlike other livestock, we don't breed them for human consumption. Additionally, horses are different from cattle (and other animals specifically bred, sold, and transported for human consumption) due to their instinctive flight response in stressful conditions, making it difficult to accurately stun them prior to slaughter. Undercover footage has demonstrated that many horses are dismembered while fully conscious, underscoring the need to ban this utterly inhumane process. The American public overwhelming supports a ban on horse slaughter—horses have a special place in our heritage and they are beloved companions to millions today.

Myth: Consuming horsemeat does not put the public's health at risk.

Fact: Horsemeat is potentially dangerous to humans when eaten because horses are not raised for this purpose. Recent lab work revealed that horsemeat from one of the Texas plants contains several substances that are not intended for human consumption. Our horses are regularly treated with worming medications, drugs, and other injections unintended for human consumption.

Myth: There has been no formal public discussion on this issue.

Fact: For years, legislation that would prohibit horse slaughter has been under consideration in the Senate. The U.S. House of Representatives witnessed thoughtful and substantial public floor debate on this identical amendment which led to its passage by a landslide bipartisan vote. Further, there has been extensive media coverage on this issue by newspapers and television networks nationwide including CNN, The L.A. Times, The Washington Post, USA Today, and many others. Action on this issue is past due.

Myth: Zoos will be prevented from feeding their big cats an adequate diet.

Fact: Zoos will be able to continue to feed horse meat to their big cats, as the bill will only stop the domestic slaughter of horses for human consumption. However, there is a growing trend to feed a beef-based diet to captive big cats. Several USDA-licensed facilities that keep big cats like lions and tigers have switched to such diets because it is a healthier alternative for these species. Horses are treated with many drugs that are prohibited for use in animals raised for food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoo View Post
PETA does have a bad rap, and I wish they didn't because they do tremendous work for animals. They have ended the suffering of more animals than any other organization I know. (Just this year alone they got Coke, Pepsi, Pom Wonderful, Welch's and Ocean Spray to stop animal testing, they got 6+ major clothing designers to stop using fur, etc.)

They DO use some tactics that some people find offensive. I used to find them offensive, but after I educated myself on the realities of animal testing, the meat & dairy industry, the fur trade, etc - those offensive tactics now seem like good common sense to me. (As in, if you know the truth about how we treat animals, you should be outraged.) I have attended some of their demonstrations and vegan outreach programs and they are quite peaceful, educational programs. Only the sensational tactics make the news, even though they are the gross minority of actions.

In any case, they certainly aren't for everyone, but they DO accomplish a lot of good for critters.

(It's also nice that thus far, this has been a pretty civilized, educated discussion on an often controversial subject. Great people on this forum!)

Old 07-13-2007, 04:06 PM

24 posts, read 168,172 times
Many of my friends raise horses and I love them as much as anyone else but it does not offend me to slaughter a horse. Would I eat horse meat, sure I'll try anything, the fruit bat I had on Rota M.I. was very good, the dog I had in the PI not bad but not great, but maybe that was not a short hair red dog.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:32 PM

6 posts, read 19,585 times
Default You said it in the first three words!

The difference is the dame as comparing the American Eagle to a turkey! If you have no horse sense educate yourself a bit. I can hear the chest pounding from here!
Really dosen't matter now that the plants are closed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of Alaska View Post
Maybe I'm dumb or something... but how is slaughtering horses different from slaughering cows? Esp. under circumstances that Dad of 3 Girls stated? Are we saying that horses are pets vs. livestock? And what are we supposed to do with them when they are at the end of their lives or unwanted? I am thinking that dogs are euthanized... no I don't get a warm fuzzy feeling about that either.. just thinking...
I kind of think this goes in the politics forum, too as I don't think "the world" will agree on all of this.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:50 PM

6 posts, read 19,585 times
Default Bull

I totally encourage people to look into the truth of the matter as you say because you have just delivered a line of BS! Over 90% of horse's slaughtered are young and healthy. The slaughterhouse dosen't want old ill horses! Are you kidding me? heck no, there's no $$ to be made there. Remember they are in the business of providing horse meat to diners in Europe. People with sorry horses have to pay the SH to take them! You are way off the meter on this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3Girls View Post
Then you might want to look into the truth of the matter. Horses that are slaughtered were old, abandoned, ill, or otherwise "Un-wanted". Horses of "value" are too expensive and the slaughterhouses didn't pay much.

KY and TN are having real problems with all the abandoned horses simply being set free in the woods to die from starvation, car collissions etc...

Horses are not wild animals. When horses get old, sick or can no longer "worK' they become a burden and are often left to die.

Seems like a real good story was on NPR - so you might want to look there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois