Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 01:08 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,109,392 times

Advertisements

Moderator: Please stay on topic: WHY LIVE IN ILLINOIS? State politics is *not* a subject for discussion in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 05:25 PM

174 posts, read 521,826 times
Stay out of Cook County and you'll be fine...

Old 12-27-2009, 11:38 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,675,067 times
Obviously the first big difference is the weather. Most, if not all, parts of FL are warm year round. IL has some cold winters and hot summers. A nice thing to note is that if you live in the Chicago area you are within 4-5 hour from a lot of cities including St.Louis, Indianapolis, Madison, Milwaukee, Iowa City, etc. If you don't want to live in Chicagoland you can try out Bloomington, Champaign, Peoria, etc. If your looking for a variety in sports, weather, bars, job market, schools, nightlife, housing then IL may be for you.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:57 PM

818 posts, read 2,160,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Obviously the first big difference is the weather. Most, if not all, parts of FL are warm year round. IL has some cold winters and hot summers. A nice thing to note is that if you live in the Chicago area you are within 4-5 hour from a lot of cities including St.Louis, Indianapolis, Madison, Milwaukee, Iowa City, etc. If you don't want to live in Chicagoland you can try out Bloomington, Champaign, Peoria, etc. If your looking for a variety in sports, weather, bars, job market, schools, nightlife, housing then IL may be for you.
The distribution of cities is one of my favorite things about the area

Old 12-28-2009, 04:25 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,322,466 times
I love Northwest IL. Used to live there near Galena. I have thought about returning for retirement. House prices do not bother me but property taxes are abit much.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:08 AM

422 posts, read 807,951 times
One of my pet peeves is people who when saying where they live say what state they are from and nothing else and the same applies to people asking if they should move to a given state and this ESPECIALLY applies to Illinois.

Granted coming from Florida I realize that it has a more standardized type of lifestyle than many states (although even in Florida I am sure life in Tallahasee is a bit different than in Miami) but still one can conjure up an image more easily of a typical "Florida lifestyle" or "Texas lifestyle" or even "California lifestyle" but what in the hell is a typical "Illinois lifestyle"?. This is a state of huge contrasts in types of living environments, granted coming from Florida Illinois' climate might seem more uniform but besides that parts of this state are about as different as you can get.

Living in "Illinois" could mean anything from living on the 91st floor of a world famous skyscraper in downtown to Chicago to a farm in the middle of nowhere in downstate Illinois. This state is FAR FAR FAR from having a uniform type of lifestyle and there are parts of this state as someone who lives in the city of Chicago there are many parts of this state that are the exact opposite of the lifestyle I have here in this city. I lived downstate for 13 years (near Decatur) when my dad had a job transfer when I was a child and besides still living in the USA and under the same state government and similar climate it was about as different as you can get.

So before anyone asks me for advice on what life in Illinois is like you have to be specific about what type of community lifestyle you prefer (urban, suburban, rural), your background and preferences and what your expectations are.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:12 PM

36 posts, read 75,255 times
I would never live in any part of Illinois besides the Chicagoland area. I'm a Chicagoan and would consider moving to the burbs but not more than 25 miles from the city. Just my opinion.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:45 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,109,392 times
This post is a year old. I imagine the OP has moved on by now.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:55 PM

20 posts, read 59,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westchesterfielddad View Post
I would never live in any part of Illinois besides the Chicagoland area. I'm a Chicagoan and would consider moving to the burbs but not more than 25 miles from the city. Just my opinion.
I'm a Southern Illinoisan and wouldn't live within a hundred miles of that nasty city.

I prefer forested hills and dew kissed vinyards with gentle and golden sunrises with sweet fresh air.

When I spend $30,000 (no typo) on a house, I want it to have a garage, a basement and 3 bedrooms, be well insulated, have new wiring and be in a nice neighborhood where gals walk their little doggies. I'm not Hugh Hefner and don't need a $100,000 mansion with 20 bedrooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois