Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one of these small towns do you think is the best?
Genoa 1 20.00%
Marengo 4 80.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 07:18 PM

134 posts, read 633,840 times

Advertisements

Which one of these towns in northern Illinois do you think is the best in terms of economy, availability of rental houses, landscape with better scenery, friendliness of its residents, and its distance to I-90 Tollway?

Based on my research, Genoa and Marengo are almost same except Marengo is little bigger but in McHenry County. McHenry County has more to offer but I think property taxes in DeKalb County would be lower if I want to buy a house in the future.

Of course, Sycamore and Elburn are attractive; however, I prefer these two smaller towns because it's centrally located between NIU Graduate School, my job in Rockford, and my other job in Delavan, WI in Walworth County just north of McHenry County. Also, they are close to I-90 where I could easily go straight to Schaumburg, Chicago, and North Surburbs to visit both family and friends.

Last edited by MitchArk87; 12-28-2009 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: Grammar Errors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 09:46 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
Genoa is smaller and still more "farmer" focused, Marengo is bigger and probably a bit less well-to-do.

I don't know I would say either has much to offer -- if you have to routinely be in Delavan WI AND Rockford AND are trying to go to graduate school in DeKalb you would probably be better off living in an RV... You ain't going to have to time to visit family or friends except when you fill-up your fuel tanks.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:08 PM

Default Two Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Genoa is smaller and still more "farmer" focused, Marengo is bigger and probably a bit less well-to-do.

I don't know I would say either has much to offer -- if you have to routinely be in Delavan WI AND Rockford AND are trying to go to graduate school in DeKalb you would probably be better off living in an RV... You ain't going to have to time to visit family or friends except when you fill-up your fuel tanks.

Since you said that Genoa is smaller and more "farmer" focused, I think I will like Marengo better. Marengo is also closer to I-90 Tollway in McHenry County so I think there will be more rental houses and apartments. I watched a video through the City of Marengo Website and I liked what I saw. I just love small towns (pop. of 7,000+) with enough local amenties. Whatever the town lacks, I will enjoy short drives to bigger cities such as Woodstock, Crystal Lake, and Algonquin.

I am most definitely going to work in Rockford while attending NIU Graduate School. Delavan, WI is optional for a part-time job I could have. I will plan to visit both family and friends in Chicago/North Surburbs twice a month.

Once I finish NIU Graduate School, I will be working at the professional office in Schaumburg where I have connections with people working there. Since I dislike city living, I wonder if the commute from Marengo to Schaumburg is doable. It's about 45 minutes but I don't know how long it will take during rush hour.

Does anybody know any realty websites where I could look up nice rental houses in Genoa/Marengo areas?

Old 12-29-2009, 04:54 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
Evening rush hour tends to have some choke points on the NW Tollway, but mornings are not too bad so long as there is no weather related or collision delays. A co-worker does that Marengo to Schaumburg haul in mornings at about 45 minutes with his lead foot, add 10- 15 for evening...

I'd take the stuff from the town with a grain of salt -- the real estate downturn has been pretty tough on them directly and the whole area. It is smaller than the towns like Woodstock , Crystal Lake & Algonquin, but those are still really NOT "bigger cities" in the traditional sense so much as they are other "rural towns" and even "suburbs"...

If you want to avoid any sort of suburban feel you can that in many places, but I suppose that will also limit the selection of rentals. There are only a few thousand homes in Marengo, and I doubt more than 10% of them are rental -- probably less than a quarter are available at any given time. Apartment selection is also pretty thin, but prices are fairly affordable, you might try some of the folks that have older duplexes or single family homes listed with real estate agents:
NorthWest News Group | Real Estate Search - Powered by InsideThisHome.com
NorthWest News Group | Real Estate Search - Powered by InsideThisHome.com

Good Luck!

Old 12-30-2009, 03:08 PM

434 posts, read 1,164,390 times
Probably out of your time frame, but Genoa is expected to receive an Amtrak station/stop on the railroad line that stretches from Dubuque, Iowa through Rockford, Elgin, and into Chicago. However, this won't occur until 2012 at the earliest.

Unfortunately, neither town has great access to I-90, especially Genoa.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:46 PM

Should I continue looking into Genoa and Marengo for nice rental house to live? I am struggling to find any vacant houses in these two towns lately.

There are some apartment complexes available but I prefer not to live in an apt. I am willing to live in a townhouse though.

I have several places in mind but according to posts, the commute sounds like a nightmare for anyone living in Woodstock, Crystal Lake, Huntley, and Algonquin commuting to NIU (DeKalb) and my job in Rockford. I don't think I would like to live in DeKalb, Sycamore, Belvidere, and Rockford because it's too far from surburbs you know.

Do you have any suggestions for towns/cities in McHenry County with plenty of vacant rental houses/townhouses that isn't too far away from I-90 other than Genoa and Marengo?

Old 01-15-2010, 11:26 AM

8 posts, read 26,683 times
I live in Marengo and I think Genoa/Marengo would probably work out the best for you considering where you go to school and work. I see rental properties in the Northwest Herald and Kane Chronicle all the time. You might want to try looking in Hampshire or possibly Union (very small so I don't know what might be available). Good luck!

Old 01-15-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movetn View Post
I live in Marengo and I think Genoa/Marengo would probably work out the best for you considering where you go to school and work. I see rental properties in the Northwest Herald and Kane Chronicle all the time. You might want to try looking in Hampshire or possibly Union (very small so I don't know what might be available). Good luck!
Boy, I am so glad to hear something from someone who lives in Genoa/Marengo area! For awhile since I started this thread, I was thinking that far northwestern exubans like Marengo/Genoa residents do not have access to Internet plus not many people have something to say about this area. Just kidding!

Anyway, maybe I should check both newspapers more often. I also would like to ask you something. As a resident of Marengo, I am sure you do have both pros and cons of living in the town. I am eager to know yours. What's the special thing about Marengo? What is it about Marengo that could be improved (community services, schools, amenties in town, etc.)?

Old 01-18-2010, 10:53 AM

8 posts, read 26,683 times
Hi MitchArk87,

I can try to answer your questions. I don't know what you are looking for as far as lifestyle goes. Marengo/Genoa areas are pretty quiet with a rural feel to it. Each town has a small grocery store but any other type of shopping will require a trip to a larger town which could be at least 20-30+ minutes depending on what you are shopping for. You seem young and there is no
hustle bustle urban life. Not sure about Genoa but Marengo has several bars within a block of each other. Each town has a few restaurants. You will need a car to get around. Depending on where you choose to live, train stations will probably be 45 minutes away. Personally, I like being away from a big city but that is just my preference as I am a homebody. Let me know if I can answer anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois