Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 08:00 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,917 times

Advertisements

I want to live out in the country, with a lot of land, perhaps to have a small garden/field of crops. Which city would be better to work for? Which would be better for a commute in from the country? Which city is best to live in, in terms of general livability? How are the general attitudes? Is there a lot of snowfall, and if so, is it the type that stays all winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 12:22 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Illinois is a farming state, the number two producer of corn in the Nation. You won't find a "lot of land" unless you want to own a farm. A two acre garden will produce enough vegetables to feed a family of 10 for one winter. My idea of a garden is enough space to set out 6 tomato plants. Prime farm land is expensive.

Winters may or may not produce snow, or snow that stays, or snow that is deep enough for skiing. This year I've had 10" of snow since Christmas Day. Most of it is still on the ground. I will promise you one thing, if you live in the county you will own a 4x4 and maybe a snow blade for it.

Springfield is a large political city. Champaign is a large college town. Both areas will offer much the same. The entire state is in an economic mess. Both areas are locaed on the Illinois plains. Both areas are located very near Interstate routes. Both areas can suffer some brutal weather including tornadoes.

Knowing the area as I do, and the weather patterns, if you can find work in Springfiled, I would look in Petersburg in Menard County for land because it has the lowest incidence of tornadic activity in what televeision stations call the "heart of Illinois" - which does not include. Champaign as it is in lecated in Eastern Central Illinois.

All small communities are clannish - until the folks get to know you. It is a fact of life. River cities like Peoria tend to be a bit less conservative than the inland cities; I don't know why. All communities in Illiois are surrounded by farms and ranches until you get into the Illinois Ozarks. Chicago is, too. IF you hate corn, beans, cows and flat land you will want to live closer to the rivers where the land tends to have more rolling hills and valeeys and less flat land.

If you live in Menard County, for instance, your about 15 miles from work. It's in a tirangle with a leg in Springfield, Bloomington and Peoria. In this area you can find everything you need pr want except Ikea, Trader Joe's and Costco. Each town offers something unique whether it is First Night, fresh maple syrup, or the largest park district outside of Chicago.

Here is a 57 years map of tornadoes in central Illinois. Springfield is in Sangamon County. Champaign is in Champaign County. Bloomington is in McLean Cpunty. Lincoln is in Logan County and Peoria is in Peoria County.

The area between Sangamon, Knox, Marshall, McLean and Logan counites has been my playground for more than 50 years. It is prime farmland. The largest cities in this area are Peoria, Galesburg, Bloomington and Springfield.

National Weather Service, Lincoln IL -- Tornado Climatology of Central and Southeast Illinois

Old 01-21-2010, 01:34 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
I want to live out in the country, with a lot of land, perhaps to have a small garden/field of crops. Which city would be better to work for? Which would be better for a commute in from the country? Which city is best to live in, in terms of general livability? How are the general attitudes? Is there a lot of snowfall, and if so, is it the type that stays all winter?
Champaign/Urbana (sometimes shortened to "Chambana") has the benefit of hosting a major Big 10 university which gives it a vibrancy that Springfield doesn't have. But if you intend to live outside the city, I'm not sure how much difference it makes. Other than that, flip a coin in terms of ease of commute, easy availability of cheap land nearby, weather, etc. as they're nearly identical in those regards.

Snowfall is occasional, rarely more than a few inches, and rarely on the ground for more than a couple weeks. Winters there are IMO the worst of both worlds -- just cold enough that there's nothing going on outside, but not cold enough to keep snow on the ground where you could actually do winter stuff.

Last edited by Drover; 01-21-2010 at 01:42 AM..

Old 01-21-2010, 06:09 AM

I'm not really afraid of tornadoes, but I do like my winter weather and the cold (I need the break from allergies every year)

Either way, thanks for the replies so far! I've been looking at real estate online and it seems I've actually found somewhere not only cheaper, but possibly nicer than my hometown of Lexington, KY.

Are the chances of finding a home that is far from other homes rare in the Ill. countryside? I like driving and I like my peace and quiet. I really don't want to be stuck in a subdivision or anything of the sorts.

Thanks again!

Old 01-21-2010, 09:35 PM

It depends upon where you live, but a house every five miles is about right because they area all large farms. You can also find very small far towns that don't have much more than 200 residents and a post office. So, no, you do not to live in a city packed like sardines in a can. But...

There is a downside. The cable, Internet, telephone and utilities are not terribly reliable in any rural area. Also, you may be 10 milies from a hospital. It may not sound far in a town, but in the winer, in ther rural areas, it ia big problem with white outs, black ice, country roads, etc..I have had snow on the ground since Christmas Day. IF the Farmer's Almanac is correct, it will into April and be followed by Spring rains.

You say you have allergies; you like the cold weather. There is nothing hotter than living in the county and being surrounded by fornfields as they give off a lot of heat and humidity. You mught be better suited to a wooded area where you have privacy and the air cooler and less humid. Who less humid will depend upon how far you are from cornfields.

You also have a lot humidity from lakes. Illinois is nearly a peninsula with a the largest river in the state running between St. Louis and Chicago. It seems as if there is large lake or river in ever county. Near Sprfienfield you find a large lake, the Sangamon River and corn. You get away from that in Pettersburg.

The downside of the water is mosquitoes. The upside is miles and miles of peace and quite. where you fine wonderful scenery. I know of a litle town in the middle of nowhere that has 50 residents and a restaurant that has wonderful food. It has tiny river, a dam and a old steel bride you can walk over and its in a valley. You're surrounded by high hills. IF you don't want a 1000 acre farm. what you will probably run into is area where there a few houses not close togther, but the lot sizes are smaller - under 40 acres. It is not as bad as it sounds. Most of our little towns are pertty nice and so are the people who own businesses. I live in town in an isolated area. I can get anything I want delivered. Its like comfort food for retirees.

You need to come to town and look around. Go to Sprinfield first. Then pick up IL 97 North through Pettersburg. Follow 97 to US 24 N to Rt 9 at Banner. Stay North and it will meet IL 29 on the outskirts of Pekin. The river will be your right into Peoria. Stay on it to I-74 and go West to Bloominton where you pick up I-55 and return to Springfield or go on to Champaign. You will blow off 4 hours and see the area of Illinois that was once the tourist capitol for the wildlife and wetlands. It is being redeveloped afters years of neglect. There are many things your children can do in this Springfield to Springfield loop if you want to take the time to explore it and enjoy nature.

Some of the smaller communities that are not as congested are Dunlap, Lacon, Eureka, Lewistown, Astoris, Rushville, Pittsfield, Petersburg, Oakford, Manito, Smithfield, Mason City, MIddletown, Athens, Metamora and there are more. If you go as far north as I-80 you will find Marselles, Sandwich and Princeton.

If you like nature you can ski or sleep with the wolves in Peoria.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:28 PM

Thanks! I'll definitely check some of these places out.

I've been looking on craigslist and Trulia and found a few country lots that aren't too far from town.

I don't need to be in absolute isolation, but having enough room to grow a garden, maybe have a bonfire and just enjoy my own space (right now I live in a 1000 sq. ft. townhome with 6 people and HORRID neighbors)

As for the allergies, I've been to Illinois, rural and urban, and neither are nowhere near as bad as Lexington, ranked as one of the worst cities in the USA to have allergies.

For the snow... That sounds wonderful. I'd definitely buy a 4wd or AWD vehicle upon moving up there, especially as the 3 positions I'm applying for pay 60k+/year

I know in rural Illinois that will take one pretty far... Or at least it should. Am I correct about this?

As for heat, it won't be too hot for me... I've felt southern Alabama in July through August... Now THAT is HOT! I still don't mind though

Old 01-21-2010, 11:43 PM

Do not feel like the Lone Stranger. I live in a 1000 sq ft house with two and I have a horrid neighbor, too. The woman is jewel, but he crawled out from under a rock.

Speaking of bonfires and burning, Illinois has a state law that prohibits burning anything except
naturaal waste. No newspapers, napkins, diapers, processed food, ect.

I know a bit about those 'allergies' you speak of. If you want to contact me privately, I will share what I know.

Also if you would clue us in to the type of work you do, I might be able to help you along those lines too. Just general terms like mechangic, IT or ??? .

Old 01-22-2010, 05:54 AM

Urban/transportation planning. My particular job would be in the public sector.

As for the bonfire law, I understand... but natural waste can be made with an axe and a tree

Old 01-26-2010, 06:30 AM

166 posts, read 856,025 times
It is possible to have space and convenience all in the same place. We are in the Springfield area - on 11 acres with city water, natural gas, cable & high speed internet. My advice would be to get the employment decision finalized, then look for a place to live. What you can buy with 60k salary depends on your down payment & credit score and of course location. There are 100% financing options available thru guaranteed rural housing program for homes outside of Springfield. Hope this helps.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:25 PM

With the glut of foreclosed houses, I doubt 100% financing is available unless you are military, or you can qualify for RD loan. It will be very difficult. IF you are in a rural area you may qualify for a low interest RD loan. If your credit is good, and you have a down payment you will get the same rate at a bank, or better rate at a credit union. My personal preference is the small rural bank. The points may be slightly higher - they can be paid down - but the perks are greater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois