Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2010, 08:04 AM

97 posts, read 193,032 times

Advertisements

Through all my reading on this forum, I have learned that the east side of Springfield is not the best part of the city. I am wondering where this "east side" line runs.
I am considering some housing in the more "central east" part of town. It is close to Fairview Park and Memorial Pool Park. Can anyone give me any thoughts as it if this area is best to avoid?... or if it would not be far enough east to be a problem?

Thank you for your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 09:47 AM

148 posts, read 622,076 times
That's not the best area, but it's not horrible and definately not the worst part of town. That area's more of a blue collar/working class neighborhood with a few bad elements. The closer you are to Sangamon Ave, the better that neighborhood gets.

The east side that most people suggest you really avoid is bounded roughly East from 9th street to the railroad tracks several blocks west of Dirksen Parkway and South a few blocks from North Grand to roughly around Bunn Park. Cook St. from Eastside Dr to 9th Street is probably the worst of the neighborhoods.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:31 AM

97 posts, read 193,032 times
Thank you for the info! It helps a lot!

Old 02-27-2010, 04:33 PM

414 posts, read 1,017,322 times
Yeah, there are a few decent blue-collar neighborhoods on the east side of town that tend to get avoided for no real good reason....Laketown comes to mind.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:26 AM

4,671 posts, read 7,357,021 times
Those areas are pretty much blue-collar, middle class...but they should be plenty safe. In my recollection, the "bad" part of the city (a completely relative term, mind you), is an area that spans from the intersections of Cook St. & 11th to S. Grand Ave & 11th, and eastward. However, every area has it ups and downs.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:06 AM

29 posts, read 91,874 times
Based on my own prior experience living and working in Springfield, I tend to agree with the boundries identified in previous posts. I would "draw the line" at 9th Street for the West boundry. Had friends who lived in Laketown and the "Cabbage Patch" areas. The residents of these neighborhoods really seemed to look out for each other, although they're often thought of as "rough". If you would consider the east central area, I would suggest looking at the Enos Park area (north central). Not perfect, but it is more desirable than the east central area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois