Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2010, 12:01 AM

11 posts, read 40,460 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Which areas in Bloomington Normal are generally considered the most desirable to live and why?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 07:09 PM

124 posts, read 369,129 times
Though not a native, I have been there several times for high school sports events, and I went with one of my good friends who is originally from Bloomington to visit some of his old friends.

From what he's told me and what I saw, it seems like anywhere on the east side of town is considered desirable. Obviously, it depends on what type of house and neighborhood you consider "desirable". If you want older, more established neighborhoods, the area around the country club probably has the best older homes. If you like new construction and more of a suburban feel, anywhere east of Hershey Rd is generally desirable, especially the subdivisions around G.E. Rd and Airport Rd.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:55 PM

17 posts, read 46,518 times
Bloomington is full of diserable places to leave. There are generally two places you wanna avoid which are the westside of bloomington and orlando in normal, apart from that you can pretty more live anywhere you want in the bloomington normal area.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:32 AM

148 posts, read 624,165 times
By no means exhaustive, here are a few really nice neighborhoods I know of in B-N. For a historic neighborhood, the area around Franklin Park is really nice. For newer homes, north of 55 around Ironwood country club and south of the airport west of Hershey Rd are pretty nice places.

However, like a prior poster stated, blighted areas of B-N are the west side of Bloomington and parts of the west side of Normal (you might want to throw in some of the neighborhoods around ISU if you want to avoid college kid noise). Most everywhere else is pretty decent.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:15 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,509,002 times
Anywhere east of Hershey Rd is the prime "hot spot" in that area, that and Ironwood on the very north side of Normal. There was also one cluster of nicer homes off Towanda just south of Empire that I knew of when I lived down there. Then there was the big old mansions off Washington Street (I think... sorry it's been quite a few years for me) between Linden and Veterans Parkway. Like someone else posted the west side of the town or basically everything west of Main Street is the arm pit of all creation. Reminds me ALOT of Detroit. Unless you are west of Main and north of Hovey. That was ok, not great, but ok. Then I almost forgot about Fox Creek way out on the SW tip of town which is kinda forgotten about often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois