Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 09:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,615 times

Advertisements

Interesting enough, I am from Chicago Bridgeport too and I am going to be a P1 in Rockford - but I am a female. I also have no idea about Rockford and completely lost on finding apt... I would like to look for a roommate but I do not know anyone. The worst is I have to purchase a car and to pick up my driving before school starts... THAT'S LIFE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 07:09 PM

4 posts, read 9,543 times
First advice....don't become a pharmacist....if you do.....become familiar with the "pharmacy sucks" websites/ forums. My father was a pharmacist for many years and hated it so much, he now works at a power plant as an environmental chemist. He even tried to teach our bird how to say "pharmacy sucks". his exact words for why he hated it, "It's like working in a fast food restaurant. Your on your feet all day, people asking the same dumb questions ...etc". Seriously, all his pharmacy friends all hate their jobs. Now, I guess this is just a few pharmacists in the world and yes the money is good, but you want to enjoy your job not hate it. lol But other than that, I don't know about where you are moving too, but my father told me to tell future pharmacy practitioners to choose a different path. I did my part! Do occupational therapy, its what I do its a fun rewarding job.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:04 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
At least the pay is great 80k+. As a chemist I'd sell my soul for a job that pays even 50k with benefits rather than the crappy permatemp jobs I've been stuck in since I graduated. I'm even considering pharmacy but am not plused about 5 more years of expensive school.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:02 AM

92 posts, read 345,037 times
I'm a pharmacist and I work from home. I sit at a desk and work 9-5. There's other aspects of pharmacy besides filling pills all day.

Old 05-13-2021, 08:24 AM

1 posts, read 483 times
Hello. Well it's been around 11 years since you posted this and I'm curious how your time at UIC Rockford worked out for you. My son will be starting as a P1 this August 2021 at UIC College of Pharmacy. We have yet to find a place close to the school for him to live while there. Hope all has gone well for you. Please let us know if you have any advice or suggestions.

Jim

Old 05-16-2021, 12:22 AM

92 posts, read 99,322 times
UIC-COP Class of 2002 here. I am not surprised that you are having difficulty finding a place close by for your son to live. When I went there I commuted from East Rogers Park for 4 years either driving a car or taking the El all the way to Howard and then walking a mile home. UIC-COP is a truly excellent school. I wish I had taken advantage of the graduate level research opportunities while I was there. Just be glad that your son is not attending the ripoff school that is Midwestern University. When I was going to UIC-COP. One of my classmates sisters received a $400,000 Bill Gates Foundation reseach grant when she graduated and is now an Assistant Professor of Pharmacy there. Another classmate became one of the Pharmacy Directors at Christ Hospital in Oak Lawn. We had a couple of 50 year old students in our class who commuted in via the South Shore train line from Northwest Indiana. I wish I could be of more assistance with your son's housing search but I have been away from there for 19 years. I wish him good luck.

Old 05-21-2021, 03:22 PM

208 posts, read 146,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_illini View Post
Please let us know if you have any advice or suggestions.

Jim
FYI, based on the posts on reddit.com/r/pharmacy and https://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/pharmacy.122/ , nominal pay declines every year since at least 2015 for new grads as does quality of life at work for most indicating a very unfavorable shift in supply and demand curves for people selling pharmacy labor.

The gist of it is that 70% of pharmacists are employed in retail scenarios by large companies like CVS/Walgreens/Walmart, and their lives are regularly described as glorified cashiers on their feet all day getting yelled at by the general public. As a result, there is intense competition for the remaining positions resulting in people competing to land a spot as a $50k per year "resident" after graduating.

After all that, they still will rarely be able to find work where they want to live. On top of all that, the people paying the pharmacies are huge insurance companies/government, so imagine trying to negotiate pricing with them for 90% of your business.

Only reason I know is researching this to advise a cousin, who ignored said research and is now working 12 to 14 hour shifts without lunch breaks or bathroom breaks on evenings and weekends, and regrets their decision to pursue the pharmacy field. Basically, if you did it between 1980 and 2010, you made out well. People coming in 2015 and onwards are going to get squeezed.

Last edited by Pomelo; 05-21-2021 at 03:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois