Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 11:50 AM

23 posts, read 92,159 times

Advertisements

Exactly! So by this, I assume, you're saying you mis-spoke when you said West Peoria was older than Peoria?

I have a grudge against West Peoria because they did not wish to be part of Peoria when Peoria wanted to absord their community as part of the city. They don't want to pay for our services, yet they still like to use them. An example being the Park District, but let's not get into this argument, I realize they have to pay for a Peoria library card and they have their own little volunteer fire dept (which our fire department saves whenever they get in over their heads.) They're biters, they like to bite off the good parts of Peoria and throw away the rest.

...and before it gets brought up, this same reasoning cannot be applied to other surrounding towns like East Peoria, Bartonville & Dunlap because those town were never considered for annexation and they don't share a close border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The first settlers came to the Illinois River Valley in the 1600s. Settlers came to an area that would become Peoria County in the early 1800s. There is nothing to debate.

Why do you dislike the City of West Peoria?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 11:52 AM

23 posts, read 92,159 times
I agree, but the idea of the OP moving to West Peoria was brought up under the assumption that it's a safer neighborhood, that's why it became part of the conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scio42 View Post
Wow, this thread has quickly lurched off topic. I think we all could benefit by going back and reading the entire thread. If you do, you'll find that:

1). The OP asked about the West Bluff neighborhood of Peoria (specifically the intersection of Moss & University), not West Peoria.

2). linicx stated that West Peoria was an older neighborhood (meaning 50, 75+ years old), not that West Peoria is older than the West Bluff or Peoria.

3). peoriashows likes the West Bluff and doesn't like West Peoria. Fine, that's his/her opinion.

That said, maybe we could move this thread back to something pertinent to the OP's original question?

Old 07-03-2010, 12:21 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,113,735 times
The area that would become Tazewell County belonged to Peoria County, and because of that little historical gotcha it could not cast a vote in favor of Illnois Statehood.

The Village of Bartonville, located in Limestown Township, Peoria County, was known in 1887 as "Limestone Community " due to its large limestone quary. The official name change to Bartoinville came later.

In 1834 the Dunlap brothers for whom the town of Dunlap was named arrived in what would later become become Radnor Township in Peoria County.

The City of West Peoria has a rather unusual hisory as it was originanlly a community in an ujnincorporrated area of Peoria County. It did not attain city status until the 20th century. Until the early 1980s it was a desirabe address and a good place to raise a family. The City of West Peoria pays for Peoria County services it uses. I imagine the same would apply if services from the City of Peoria were requireed. The inter-government cooperation is quite common amongst cities, and counties.

In Illinois it is very common for county residents to buy a city libary card. I did that 30 years ago when I lived in the county. The library is free for research and reading. However if county residents wish to check out a book, they must buy a library card. As an aside and a small one, I lived in a city that required 2 referrals, a $25 deposit and a satisfactorh FICO score before they would even discuss selling a city library card to a city resident.

The Peoria Park District taxation is unusual also.

As to the original post, you would have no knowledge of private conversataiions I had with the poster.

For*clarification purposes only,the West Bluff, West Peoria and the City of West Peoria are 3 different areas of Peoria to me. The differences between this has to do with a generation gap and reao estate. Neighborhoods in the city were not generally defined as it is now. It was defined by location (East Bluff, Northside, Northend, The Knolls, Downtown, etc..) until subdivisions like Sherwood Forset began to emerge.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:05 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,458,340 times
No fees for library cards in Peoria, Dunlap or Princeville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois