Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2008, 05:54 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickey View Post
We're considering a move to Terre Haute from Denver, if the job works out. Originally from central IL, I'm assuming similar weather?
To central Illinois? Yes.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:31 AM

25 posts, read 120,397 times
I do like living in Indiana. However, when I was younger I certainly didn't feel that way. My husband also felt that way when he was 17 years old..he hitch hiked to California and stayed there for 4 years. Lucklily, he had relatives out there to help him get settled. He found that California wasn't the answer to anything so he packed up and moved to Florida for 3 years. He returned to Indiana after that and has been quite content for the last 30 some years.

I've visited many places which I've really enjoyed, but I'm always ready to come home. I appreciate the green grass and trees after spending time out west where it's such a stark contrast from Indiana. I appreciate our weather after spending a summer down south, or in Texas.

As far as boring, I think there is a saying about there are no boring places, just boring people and I believe that. I found young people in California to be just as bored as the kids in Indiana. Maybe it's a change in times because we used to work too hard to feel bored and we appreciated our free time so much more. I know that as long as my family and friends are near me, I can be happy just about anywhere.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:28 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
I just spent a wonderful weekend in southern Indiana. Stayed at the Jasper Inn and spoiled the grandkids at HolidayWorld/SplashinSafari. If there are friendlier, more down to earth or more helpful people anywhere, in any state, I've never met them! The green rolling hills covered in crops. Beautiful! If people dont like it there, so what? See ya! maybe the next place will be better.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:04 PM

3 posts, read 9,851 times
Default Re: Are you for real?

(QUOTE)
Honestly, there are much worse places to live than Indiana. If you're that miserable here, it's either because you didn't your research about this state beforehand, or you somehow set yourself up to be miserable here (i.e. having a preference for warm weather and beaches and moving here anyway). Either way, it really is what you make of it half the time.[/quote]

Are you serious? Are you really so limited in your thinking that you really believe what typed here? That those can be the only reasons for someone living here-and then complaining they don't like it? You need to get out into the world, go back to school, expand your thinking-something. There are so MANY reasons why someone could get stuck in Indiana and not be able to get out and go where they want to be-it's called "LIFE" and #$& happens when you are living your life and things change. Circumstances change and there are times when you just can't do or be where you want to be-BUT, it has very little to do with not researching this state before you moved here nor is it that someone sets themselves up to be miserable. Please-give us a break and stop with that gibberish.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:41 PM

24 posts, read 281,911 times
I'm stuck in South Bend until my spouse finishes residency and then we're leaving ASAP. I can't speak for the rest of Indiana but South Bend is a dump. Take away Notre Dame and there is nothing.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,995 times
Default michiana sucks

my family moved to the elkhart area from florida when i was only 3 months old, and i've hated it ever since i can remember....the people are rude, self-centered, and closed-minded....since the RV industry has gone in the toilet, there are very few jobs available...elkhart already has a relatively high crime score, and with so many people out of jobs it can only get worse....the people that claim to be religious and holy tend to be some of the worst people i have ever met...me and my fiance just had our first child, and i do not want her to grow up here....this place has turned me into an angry person, and i don't like it....there really is nothing to do, at all....i realized this when i saw a commercial for the blueberry festival (40 miles from elkhart) and was excited because there was something going on.....i'm 24 years old....the bars here suck, there are no "clubs", and there isn't anything to do with your kids....if you wanna do any of those things, you have to go to the south bend area for mediocre versions of any of these....i'm stuck working a debt collections job, because that's the only kind of job that has any security in this area.....no one should move here by choice....i think that anyone who actually wants to live here should be strapped to a chair in their home while the whole city is bombed...at least then the city would be good for a half hour of entertainment

Old 08-28-2008, 12:00 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coerciveaxe26 View Post
my family moved to the elkhart area from florida when i was only 3 months old, and i've hated it ever since i can remember....the people are rude, self-centered, and closed-minded....since the RV industry has gone in the toilet, there are very few jobs available...elkhart already has a relatively high crime score, and with so many people out of jobs it can only get worse....the people that claim to be religious and holy tend to be some of the worst people i have ever met...me and my fiance just had our first child, and i do not want her to grow up here....this place has turned me into an angry person, and i don't like it....there really is nothing to do, at all....i realized this when i saw a commercial for the blueberry festival (40 miles from elkhart) and was excited because there was something going on.....i'm 24 years old....the bars here suck, there are no "clubs", and there isn't anything to do with your kids....if you wanna do any of those things, you have to go to the south bend area for mediocre versions of any of these....i'm stuck working a debt collections job, because that's the only kind of job that has any security in this area.....no one should move here by choice....i think that anyone who actually wants to live here should be strapped to a chair in their home while the whole city is bombed...at least then the city would be good for a half hour of entertainment
Settle down ... I'm sorry you hate it here. I have to admit, when I was growing up in your neck of the woods, I couldn't wait to get out and the first minute I had a chance, I bolted. I lived, had a great time, managed to stay out of serious trouble and BY CHOICE, moved back to Indiana, on my terms. Sounds like you and your fiance should think about packing up and trying something else out for awhile. I wish you peace.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:03 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,057,650 times
lol coerciveaxe26 - I'm making plans to be at the Marshall County Blueberry Festival in Centennial Park, Plymouth...

Old 10-15-2008, 11:35 PM

3 posts, read 8,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Job market here is terrible. Even with a profession, there are few jobs in it. People will claw you to keep you from their job.
This is absolutely true in Indianapolis. Not so in Bloomington or possibly some other cities.

Do beware, as I've worked in several cities stretching from Valparaiso in the north to Louisville in the south and Indpls folks are unneccesarily aggressive, especially when it comes to defending there job turf. Because of this, and only because of this, Indpls is not a good place to live or work, even for a professional.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:42 PM

3 posts, read 8,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieApokalypse View Post
As a Hoosier living abroad, I'd just like to add my two cents here. To sum it up simply, I miss Indiana. I miss it terribly. Everything from our pseudo-Southern Knox county accents to the flat fields that stretch out for miles all around you. I miss country roads and backwoods. I miss the simple life that I had there, and I'd give anything to go back. Right now, it's not entirely feasible. I've spent the past six years moving from place to place, living a real nomad's life. If you name a place, I've probably been there. And none of them have seemed or even come close to feeling like home. I always thought, when I was younger, that I'd be happy if I got out of hickville... and now all I really want to do is go back.

A couple of things. Yes, the backwoods are awesome in Indiana. I've been to nearly every state that's nearby, so if your looking for more backwoods (and I'm assuming less human beings) try lower Wisconsin, it's about the same, but just more raw. They aren't obsessed with mowing every lawn in site, which is great. Avoid Michigan, rudest people in the world, and stick with 'W', nice people over there and great land if you don't get too far from the 'Chicago region'.

You mentioned being a nomad. I've traveled alot too. The south (NC for example) is probably the best land in the country, but the droughts down there are nuts. I personally am avoiding all forms of heat and if the soil wasn't so dry NC would be amazing.

Have you tried Seattle or Juneau? The soil appears to be wet enough in both areas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana