Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2013, 10:11 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,660,508 times

Advertisements

I really don't understand why anyone would live somewhere they hate.

I get that some people have no choice due to job, family, etc., but does that apply to everyone who comes on here bashing Indiana?

I doubt it.

Some people just like to b itch.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:34 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
I lived in Indiana two separate times and left each time. I will not be moving back. It is a very bad state for single people as it tends to be very very family oriented. The low cost of living is nice, but the social culture just wasn't up to what I'm used to. Also, healthy lifestyles are not common in Indiana and outdoor recreation opportunities are not terribly numerous outside of a few areas.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:38 PM

486 posts, read 862,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I lived in Indiana two separate times and left each time. I will not be moving back. It is a very bad state for single people as it tends to be very very family oriented. The low cost of living is nice, but the social culture just wasn't up to what I'm used to. Also, healthy lifestyles are not common in Indiana and outdoor recreation opportunities are not terribly numerous outside of a few areas.
I've known many students who felt as you did too. So many of them moved to other areas.
We were somewhat ok when we were raising our children but now as we are in our 50's
we are in the same situation as the younger people. Would like more choices and things to do.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:54 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,305 times
Quote:
Of all the places I've traveled around the world I do know this.....it doesn't matter where you live. I've lost 122 lbs while living here and ended up doing 4 triathlons. It's not the city it's the person. There are options here for someone to live a healthy lifestyle. I travel to different states everyday I know.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:05 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Of all the places I've traveled around the world I do know this.....it doesn't matter where you live. I've lost 122 lbs while living here and ended up doing 4 triathlons. It's not the city it's the person. There are options here for someone to live a healthy lifestyle. I travel to different states everyday I know.
I found ways to keep active in Indiana but it was MORE challenging than other places.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:21 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,305 times
Quote:
I found ways to keep active in Indiana but it was MORE challenging than other places.
When I first moved up to Indy from Miami I use to complain all the time with the lack sidewalks but finally got my act together to just hit a gym and get it done. When I lived in Florida in a highrise right on the beach the sidewalk was literally right outside the lobby. After living in Indy all these years I have to give the city credit for creating the Cultural Trail. The design is similar to what they have in Holland. Very cool I think.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:02 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,148,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
When I first moved up to Indy from Miami I use to complain all the time with the lack sidewalks but finally got my act together to just hit a gym and get it done. When I lived in Florida in a highrise right on the beach the sidewalk was literally right outside the lobby. After living in Indy all these years I have to give the city credit for creating the Cultural Trail. The design is similar to what they have in Holland. Very cool I think.
I do insanity. If you want to be healthy, you want to be healthy.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:59 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,531,247 times
Quote:
Seems like you've moved around a lot in search of greener pastures.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:27 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,660,508 times
Quote:
The low cost of living is nice, but...
I guess that was the biggest thing for us when we moved here.

It is really cheap for a "big" city.

Even when we had less money, the fact that we spent so little on housing afforded us the opportunity to travel to Europe, South America, etc.

We had friends in Chicago and D.C. at the same time with similar jobs who spent four or five times as much, just on an apartment. Yes, they had far superior attractions in their own cities, but we had the luxury of being able to go to Italy or France to see even more. Oh, and we can just drive to Chicago in three hours and D.C. in about eight or nine to see those same sights.

I've lived in other cities, but I think it's hard to beat Indy unless you are someone who never leaves the area in which you live.

Yes, I realize that saying I like Indy because it allows me to leave isn't the best sales pitch, but hey, I never had to spend $4K a month on an apartment, and that's a big plus. It allowed me to spend my money on other, much cooler, stuff. For that reason, I love Indy.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:30 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,511,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
I guess that was the biggest thing for us when we moved here.

It is really cheap for a "big" city.

Even when we had less money, the fact that we spent so little on housing afforded us the opportunity to travel to Europe, South America, etc.

We had friends in Chicago and D.C. at the same time with similar jobs who spent four or five times as much, just on an apartment. Yes, they had far superior attractions in their own cities, but we had the luxury of being able to go to Italy or France to see even more. Oh, and we can just drive to Chicago in three hours and D.C. in about eight or nine to see those same sights.

I've lived in other cities, but I think it's hard to beat Indy unless you are someone who never leaves the area in which you live.

Yes, I realize that saying I like Indy because it allows me to leave isn't the best sales pitch, but hey, I never had to spend $4K a month on an apartment, and that's a big plus. It allowed me to spend my money on other, much cooler, stuff. For that reason, I love Indy.
Well said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana