Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 04:18 PM

2 posts, read 8,592 times

Advertisements

I am originally from California and would dearly love to move back but we can't afford to. We currently live in the Appalachian area of E. Tennesse and it is, for many reasons, the absolute worst place we have ever lived. The low housing prices lured us here and it is like a vortex that we are unable to escape from. I've been seeing stories about Indiana, especially Lafayette, lately in the news and would like to know more about it. Maybe someone could help. I guess the best way to start is by listing what I do not like about E. Tennessee: The religious zealots who shun others who choose not to attend church, the backward thinking and distrust of outsiders and progress, the pollution from coal mines and industry, the redneck mentality, being referred to as a yankee, low, low wages, the inability to find a job, unless you attend the right church or are a relative of the boss, headlines about child/animal abuse and incest, etc.
I'm not trying to offend, but these are the facts as I see them. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by lcinda; 07-21-2010 at 04:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 04:20 PM

8,989 posts, read 17,335,746 times
Lafayette is like totally in the north. It like snows there for reals.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:50 PM

2 posts, read 8,592 times
If you are from Lafayette, Indiana, you just answered a lot of my questions!

Old 07-21-2010, 05:20 PM

8,989 posts, read 17,335,746 times
I ain't from Lafayette, but I been there many times. This me and my kin ready for a night on the town swiggin moonshine and chasing womerns

Old 07-21-2010, 06:00 PM

231 posts, read 702,321 times
Default Lafayette

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcinda View Post
I am originally from California and would dearly love to move back but we can't afford to. We currently live in the Appalachian area of E. Tennesse and it is, for many reasons, the absolute worst place we have ever lived. The low housing prices lured us here and it is like a vortex that we are unable to escape from. I've been seeing stories about Indiana, especially Lafayette, lately in the news and would like to know more about it. Maybe someone could help. I guess the best way to start is by listing what I do not like about E. Tennessee: The religious zealots who shun others who choose not to attend church, the backward thinking and distrust of outsiders and progress, the pollution from coal mines and industry, the redneck mentality, being referred to as a yankee, low, low wages, the inability to find a job, unless you attend the right church or are a relative of the boss, headlines about child/animal abuse and incest, etc.
I'm not trying to offend, but these are the facts as I see them. Thanks for your help.
Hi lcinda

I know exactly what you mean about E. Tennessee, because in my 35 yrs in Lafayette I met quite a few E.Tennessians there. Some came for factory jobs and others just want to be roofers... mostly for work! Lafayette use to be a nice town, but has changed alot...just saying it's not the Lafayette I remember. I am not sure what stories you have heard... Family members have told me, there has been an influx of ppl from Chicago and Detroit.. I guess that is what happens when they tear down the projects and the economy is bad...BUT WHY Indiana, I guess it's cheaper then those places to live...who knows!

I don't think anyone will care if you go to church or not. Not sure how the jobs are right now and yes there are some rednecks or hicks as some would call them and there are nice ppl as well. Hmmm, child abuse or molestation(in some cases incest) and animal abuse are everywhere as well.... There's always been SICKO PPL out there, it's just more televised now. Pollution, well there are alot of factories..sooo..probably! There is NO Utopia anywhere!!! It all comes with it's good and bad! Wish I could help you more, but I haven't lived in Lafayette in over 6 yrs... Good Luck on your search!!!

Old 07-21-2010, 06:28 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,164,687 times
Lafayette has indeed changed and good jobs are scarce.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:32 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,246,686 times
I lived in West Lafayette for 4 years while I was in school at Purdue and spent a lot of time across the river in Lafayette. It is definitely not the South, but Lafayette definitely has its zealots, and there definitely is a redneck mentality in parts of the area. But there are also some very nice areas if I recall correctly. If you are looking for a more progressive community I would suggest West Lafayette. Even though it's a college town there are many family-friendly neighborhoods. I have no idea how the housing prices in W. Laf compare to Lafayette, or how either compare to where you currently live. However, I do know that you could easily work in one city and live in the other (they're literally right across the Wabash River from each other). Have you considered looking elsewhere in Indiana?

Old 07-23-2010, 01:41 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,077,231 times
If you want to live in California why would you move to Lafayette? If you want to live in CA, go to CA. When you say you can't afford to live there, I think you are really saying you can't afford to live whatever old lifestyle you had there when the money was easy.

Even illegal aliens with no money and back-breaking under-the-table jobs paying $3/hour can manage to live in CA. If you are willing to work hard and sacrifice some luxuries, then you can make it in California. Other people do.

You might like Lafayette better than where you live now, but I predict that you will be back complaining about the exact same things in 4-5 years. Go where you want to go.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:22 PM

458 posts, read 1,273,701 times
Thumbs up Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcinda View Post
THANK YOU THANK YOU! for that post. Keep projecting that image to Indianans, LOL. Could you also post it in the Ohio, Michigan, and Illinois forums? We East Tennesseeans would be most grateful.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:51 PM

88 posts, read 274,262 times
Lafayette isn't as deep in the Bible belt as E Tennessee but it definitely leans politcally to the right. There's a good mix of industry, agriculture, and education employers...but its a small town in a tough economy so dont expect a wealth of opportunities. It is also perfectly flat so if you like the mountains in E Tennessee you are going to be moving somewhere thats surrounded by 50 miles of flat cornfields in every direction.

I would suggest Indianapolis has many more jobs available combined with very cheap cost of living and a more diverse culture (although California it is not). I moved to Indianapolis from Chicago 8 years ago and love it here. I haven't been to chruch in 8 years and people still talk to me here =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana