Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 06:11 PM

336 posts, read 923,835 times

Advertisements

How bad is the snow? I'm from MN so I know cold & snow. Does it stay on the ground from late November through late March like it does in MN?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 06:20 PM

5,697 posts, read 19,077,838 times
I can't really say if we get more snow than MN because I have never been there. I will experience my 3rd winter this year in Granger. For me it was a shock because I came from the Detroit area and we just didn't get the snow like Granger. This area gets a lot of lake effect snow. I would not say that it stays on the ground from late Nov to March though. There are times when we get warm ups and it melts. We moved into our house in late March of last year and it was spring like for a couple of weeks. Zero snow on the ground. Later in the day we had snow flurries but nothing stuck. I definitely feel a sense of relief around February and March. I think spring comes sooner here than it did in Detroit. But the winters do seem long and gray. I also do not think the roads get plowed very well. We just got rid of our rear wheel vehicle a couple of weeks ago. Two winters in it was enough. We get a lot of rain in this area. I once read this area gets as much rain as Portland, OR in the spring. That does not surprise me but the benefits are, everything is green.

If you have any questions about the area, just ask.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:06 AM

625 posts, read 1,802,149 times
Both Minnesota and Granger get lots of snow. The difference: this area gets hammered by lake effect snow (sometimes 10-15 inches per episode). Generally this happens about four to five times a year. The thing with lake effect is that one place can get 30 inches of snow and ten miles in either direction and they only get 5 inches. This area is not near as cold as Minnesota, therefore you will see heavy snowfalls and then the temperature will rise above freezing and the snow begins to melt. Depending on the winter, you will generally not have snow all winter long. But there are cold spells so snow can stay on the ground for weeks at times.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:40 PM

336 posts, read 923,835 times
Thanks, I was curious what the lake effect snow was like there.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:22 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,891,264 times
Unlike other areas that get hit by blizzards with a foot or more of snow at a time, lake effect snow is a little different. It's usually less snow each time, but after several of these snowfalls you can easily end up with 2+ feet of accumulated snow on the ground. But then it melts, and the whole cycle starts up again. IMO the roads are plowed fairly quickly, so nothing grinds to a halt, perhaps because the plows are usually not dealing with 1-2 foot snowfalls in one dump. Our kids had zero snow days last winter, and only two the year before (both because of -20 degree temps rather than snow).

Old 08-18-2010, 06:16 PM

625 posts, read 1,802,149 times
One thing I will say about the Michiana area is they are extremely reliable when it comes to plowing snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana