Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 03:51 AM

5 posts, read 18,885 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Indianapolis on August 10th to attend IUPUI and I'm looking for some advices about where to rent . I have two kids 5 and 3 years old so I'm gonna need a good school and a day care close by, I also have my own car so transportation is no problem for me. I'm from Grand Forks, North Dakota and been to some big cities before but know nothing about Indy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 04:20 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,475,860 times
Since IUPUI is right downtown, there is a wonderful day care facility at the Minton Capehart Federal Building about 1 mile downtown. I work there and see everyone coming and going. It is on the first floor and has a secure play yard.

There may also be day cares located at the nine hospitals located next to IUPUI. I would think the school could help you a little with some of this information.

do you want to live somewhat close to IUPUI, then check with the school. There may be some rentals right near by in homes with apartments and I dont know how much Lockfield Gardens costs.

If you want to live farther away, you can choose any part of town. For quick in and out, there are a large number of reasonable apartments south or around 62nd and Georgetown. They are rebuilding Georgetown road right now and the traffic is tight but it will get better. The commute would be shorter than Fishers or the Northeast of town.

With a 5/3 year old, I would want to be closer.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:26 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,721,897 times
If you do stick close to IUPUI, be sure to check on the school situation, unless you are going to go private. The nice thing about Indy and most of it's burbs is that you can be pretty much anywhere is 30-45 minutes. Take sweet's advice, work with the school, tell them your situation with regard to needing a place to live and daycare and needing a good school for your 5 year old.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:33 AM

667 posts, read 2,887,986 times
Personally, I would never have my children in the daycare at the federal building. The reason is that even remote, it is still a target. Plus, add into the inverted pyramid shape and one blast could do some SERIOUS damage. The good news though is that there is security there and for the most part they take their job serious.

Anyways....

I live on the Southside and I also attend IUPUI. From where I live I am only about 10 minutes away but I also know the short cuts

Fairly close to me is an apartment that is being redone. When my wife and I lived there it was a decent place and dirt cheap. The name is Valley Forge Apartments. There are located right by US 31 and I-465. Easy on and off plus you are just minutes from almost everything except a Cosco ( )

Daycare around here is also pretty decent. There is a Methodist Church on the University of Indy's campus that has a WONDERFUL daycare. Yes, they are still expensive, but still cheap when compared to everyone else. Another great thing is that they will not hound you to join their Church.

So, what degree are you pursuing?

Old 07-11-2007, 05:54 AM

hey thanks for every one, Sweetana3 I did talked to the housing dept. at IUPUI they suggested that I stay on campus, their apartment they meant but it is expensive compared to the others off campus, beside I believe people would know about bad places more than schools do, Zig'sbird yes safety is a concern and I'm going for Accounting you know working with money is always sweet
I searched online and there a lot of places that is good for me, it is only the neighborhood that I'm worry about, I mean I don't know wither the people will be nice or not so if any can suggest a names for areas where it is safe, no white trash, criminal black or rednecks that would be great.
thanks

Old 07-11-2007, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandfreez View Post
, no white trash, criminal black or rednecks that would be great.
thanks

Do I dare ask you to clarify this statement???

Old 07-11-2007, 07:01 AM

131 posts, read 533,327 times
Quote:
no white trash, criminal black or rednecks that would be great.
What else is left in Indiana?

Just kidding. Don't get mad anyone. I am relocating to Indy as well so just making jokes about it.

As for the OP, I'm sorry i can't offer much as we plan to move to the burbs (Carmel) as all my research shows the best schools, safest neighborhoods, and great family environment to be there. Seems most people claim it's a 45 minute drive to downtown.

Even thought I'm coming from Madison WI, I lived in Southern California my whole life so a 45 minute commute was a 10 mile drive there.

Goo luck at school.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:07 AM

Domergurl I am from an Italian roots, my skin color is little darker than usual white, just little. despite my appearance my accent which might cover up my roots, lots of white people (mainly in the south of Indianapolis) insist to ask me about the weather and how’s it looks like in Mexico I came for a 2 days visit to Indy to have an idea of what I should expect last month, I admit that 2 days is not enough but that all what I had then, I met some blacks to the northeast close to an area called Laurence or so they were telling me about how safe the area that they could steal a car and return it couple of days later without being in GREAT DANGER and that what SAFE meant for them. and rednecks is the seller whom spend 10 minutes talking to the customer before you for nothing, just to keep you waiting with yellow type of gazing to you
I'm not looking for trouble nor I wish to be part of it and I'm not coming to Indy to tell people how wrong they are, I'm just looking to quite place to live in peace with my kids, I hope that would explain my point and let you help me with your knowledge of the area. you have a good day

Old 07-12-2007, 05:37 AM

I didn't mean to put you on the spot grand, but your terse wording took me aback intially and I'm not sure I understand a word of your response. If you are looking for a place where the folks you listed are not around, sorry, you won't find it in Indy ... heck, pretty much anywhere these days. I've said it before, there are ig-nernt people everywhere. The best thing you can do is go about your business and befriend those who treat you right.

It sounds like you had some runs ins with people who frightened you. Well, Indy is urban. You'll find this in most cities. You may want to consider the burbs. Zig mentioned Greenwood. It's very convenient to IUPUI and it's not as expensive as the north burbs. Avon and Plainfield also.

Best of luck.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:00 PM

29 posts, read 149,949 times
Though it's a bit farther from IUPUI you would want to try the north side in Zionsville, Carmel, Fishers, etc. for the type of atmosphere you are looking for. Greenwood may be a little slower than you would like and Avon may be a bit urban in areas. I actually would take the slower route any day but then again I now live in NC if that tells you anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana