Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2010, 09:24 PM

32 posts, read 89,514 times

Advertisements

Compared with the rest of the state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 07:16 AM

196 posts, read 696,899 times
According to the local paper, Monroe County has a relatively low unemployment rate, but also a relatively high poverty rate compared to the rest of the state.

I don't know how the 40,000 or so students affect those numbers.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:13 AM

202 posts, read 763,108 times
I have heard, and this is just info from my friends who live there, that it isn't too hard to get a crappy part-time retail style job, or even a full-time one where you won't pull in more than $18,000 a year, but beyond that, it is pretty grim.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:06 AM

2 posts, read 5,240 times
It depends on the kind of job you want. I live in Bloomington. A few of my friends are employed by the university as staff or faculty. Some of them like it; some complain about low pay. I hear that it's hard to get into the IU job world but once you're in it's okay. The rest of my friends cobble together multiple part-time jobs like handyman, store clerk, and admin work.

I used to try to get jobs in Bloomington, but even 10 years ago professional positions weren't plentiful and pay was low. I started my own business, and now I focus on clients outside of Bloomington (and outside of Indiana), because they pay me 3 times as much as the highest rate I could get from a Bloomington firm.

So for anything more than part-time work, pay is relatively low and there's apparently a lot of competition. I suspect that Indianapolis would have more professional positions with a greater variety of employers and less trouble getting "in." I don't know about the rest of the state.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:50 PM

202 posts, read 763,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansao View Post
It depends on the kind of job you want. I live in Bloomington. A few of my friends are employed by the university as staff or faculty. Some of them like it; some complain about low pay. I hear that it's hard to get into the IU job world but once you're in it's okay. The rest of my friends cobble together multiple part-time jobs like handyman, store clerk, and admin work.
unfortunately, I think this is becoming the norm for the majority of places in Indiana, especially those outside of the very few stable, larger cities.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:29 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,733 times
Pay is insanely low, even retail jobs are hit and miss. My nephew is having a hard time finding a retail job in Bloomington. He has applied at like 10 different stores. One interview canceled because they hired someone else. Even Subway is not hiring. A lot of manufacturing jobs have left the area in the past ten years. Many of them went to Mexico. Cook and Baxter are the only two left in the manufacturing sector.

I actually know a couple people who have opted to stay on welfare or apply for disability because they can make more money by mooching off the government than working in this town. That is really sad.

As soon as I can, I want to leave and go somewhere I can make $$. I can see why most people my age have left this area. There is no money to made.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:33 PM

Has anybody heard anything good/bad about Callnet? It's on Morton St.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:27 PM

166 posts, read 375,291 times
Callnet is a real sweatshop.

My niece worked at Bloomington callnet last year and is still scarred from it. Strenuous work environment, mandatory undocumented overtime hours, blatant sexual & ethnic group harassment. And a management team that "doesn't want to hear it". lol She did all she could to deal with the misery for almost two months until she found another job.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRothschild View Post
Callnet is a real sweatshop.

My niece worked at Bloomington callnet last year and is still scarred from it. Strenuous work environment, mandatory undocumented overtime hours, blatant sexual & ethnic group harassment. And a management team that "doesn't want to hear it". lol She did all she could to deal with the misery for almost two months until she found another job.

I drove all the way down there from Anderson (planning to move there) for an interview and when I got there the person I supposed to talk to wasn't even available. I spent the night in a motel in Bloomington and when I got home I saw on the caller ID they actually called me right back, as if I can make the 100 mile drive immediately. I lost interest at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana