Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 05:04 AM

13 posts, read 30,162 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I've been reading this forum with interest as me and my family are going to be relocating to Columbus from the UK with my husband's company in the Spring hopefully.There's the two of us and our 11 month old daughter. We will need to rent a place for the first 6 months to 1 year before possibly buying but we want to rent a house with it's own private garden as opposed to an apartment or town house. I know these are very hard to come by and I wondered if anyone could help me out with where I can find them?

Also, can you tell me what the minimum downpayment is for buying a house in the USA these days? In the UK we can still get a house with 10% downpayment and I wondered if this is possible in the USA?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 05:25 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
You need to speak to a realtor! Has the company that is relocating you provided you with any relocation information/realtor names??? Many of our international relo's here in Columbus rent, and I think it's a local realtor who brokers the deal.

As far as the downpayment for a home. We've always put down 20% as a rule so we don't have to escrow our property taxes. We never took one of those "exotic" loan thingy's ... and I doubt they exist anymore. I'd bank on 20%, but you never know ...

Old 12-13-2010, 06:46 AM

Thanks, I believe we will get a realtor but we're not at that stage of the process yet. I have read on previous threads that people tend to just put up boards in there gardens advertising houses to rent, will a realtor do the leg work needed to find these properties? Realtors don't exist over here so it's a strange concept.

20%! I guess that's a reflection on the house prices over there compared to over here. It's very common to only put down 10% here especially as a first time buyer. I'm quite excited about living in a house at least 3 times the size of mine for the same price!

Old 12-13-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubalady82 View Post
Thanks, I believe we will get a realtor but we're not at that stage of the process yet. I have read on previous threads that people tend to just put up boards in there gardens advertising houses to rent, will a realtor do the leg work needed to find these properties? Realtors don't exist over here so it's a strange concept.

20%! I guess that's a reflection on the house prices over there compared to over here. It's very common to only put down 10% here especially as a first time buyer. I'm quite excited about living in a house at least 3 times the size of mine for the same price!
You sound EXACTLY like the lovely couple that moved a few doors down from me over the summer. They said that the size of house they bought here would be twice the price in the UK ... it's not that big of a house either. They came here on a house hunting trip because they wanted to purchase right away. I have other UK friends who hired an estate manager to rent out their UK property and it helps pay their US mortgage ...

There are for rent signs in gardens, yes. Not sure how real estate agents are dealt with on those. You could check out the columbus newspaper (www.therepublic.com) and see if there are any online listings. Another option ... there are a lot of international relos through the various companies (one begins with a C), where the American family rents out their house while they are working in another country. You may want to seek out that option.

Good luck!

Old 12-13-2010, 07:15 PM

91 posts, read 316,324 times
Scubalady82,
The relocations that come in to Columbus will go to Eastlake Woods in Tipton Lakes or will find a home through one of the realtors or by Craigslist, The Republic, or word of mouth.
As far as the downpayment for homes, you can do as little as 3.5% down. This is an FHA loan. I would recommend if you could do a bigger downpayment that you do because if you do not put 20% down then you will be paying PMI (personal mortgage insurance) payment monthly. This can add $40-$80 more on your house payment.
Good Luck,
Julie Lashley

Old 12-20-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
You sound EXACTLY like the lovely couple that moved a few doors down from me over the summer. They said that the size of house they bought here would be twice the price in the UK ... it's not that big of a house either. They came here on a house hunting trip because they wanted to purchase right away. I have other UK friends who hired an estate manager to rent out their UK property and it helps pay their US mortgage ...

There are for rent signs in gardens, yes. Not sure how real estate agents are dealt with on those. You could check out the columbus newspaper (www.therepublic.com) and see if there are any online listings. Another option ... there are a lot of international relos through the various companies (one begins with a C), where the American family rents out their house while they are working in another country. You may want to seek out that option.

Good luck!

We worked out that our house is probably about 800-900 square feet and it's worth about $260000, I'm amazed at what we can get for that in Columbus! We'd love to rent out our house over here but unfortunately it's not an option for us.

Do you know where I can get hold of a map of Columbus with the neighbourhoods on it. I've read a lot of posts about the different neighbourhoods but the houses I look at don't mention the area the house is in.

We've had conformation that the move is definitely going ahead now and we're hoping to come house hunting for a couple of weeks in February. Very excited!

Old 12-20-2010, 01:11 PM

WOW!!!! Too bad you couldn't rent out when you move here!

I'm not aware of a map that lists neighborhoods in Columbus. There are a few of us Columbus folks here ... basically, the best thing to do is settle on a price range and then let us know. You have a young child .. prices may depend on what school area the home is located. Most realtors will steer you toward the Parkside and Southside elementary school areas. Parkside is on the north side of town and southside is on ... wait for it ... the south side, which includes the large Tipton Lakes neighborhood.

real estate listings will usually list what elementary school the home is in ..

Welcome!

Old 12-21-2010, 06:47 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times
Honestly, what I would do in your situation, is stay in one of the "extended living " suites at either Charwood or the Marriot Residence Inn for the short-term and get to know the area before either buying or signing a long-term lease.

These units are like apartment living (what you would call a flat?) without a "garden" (US term would be "yard"). No upkeep, no commitment and no lease. They have kitchens and come fully furnished.

Once you get a "feel" for the area: your workplace, the schools, the general "vibe" of the place, then hopefully you will be able to make an informed decision about neighborhoods and where you want to live.

There is a pretty broad and yet delightfully connected group of UK expats here. Hopefully you'll find your niche and settle in comfortably.

Good luck and best wishes.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:23 PM

91 posts, read 316,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
WOW!!!! Too bad you couldn't rent out when you move here!

I'm not aware of a map that lists neighborhoods in Columbus. There are a few of us Columbus folks here ... basically, the best thing to do is settle on a price range and then let us know. You have a young child .. prices may depend on what school area the home is located. Most realtors will steer you toward the Parkside and Southside elementary school areas. Parkside is on the north side of town and southside is on ... wait for it ... the south side, which includes the large Tipton Lakes neighborhood.

real estate listings will usually list what elementary school the home is in ..

Welcome!

Domergurl,
Realtors better not be steering people to Parkside and Southside. That is against a realtors bylaws. Usually what happens is the individuals that are being relocated to Columbus speak to other people at their places of employment whether it be Cummins or Toyota (just to name a few) and are told that Parkside and Southside are the number one schools. This makes it very hard on us to try and sell them anywhere else. I feel the other schools like Richards, Rockcreek, Schmidt, Mount Healthy...and so on, are not getting the recognition they deserve. If Parkside and Southside are the only schools that everyone is wanting then we need to be working on getting the other schools up to power.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Honestly, what I would do in your situation, is stay in one of the "extended living " suites at either Charwood or the Marriot Residence Inn for the short-term and get to know the area before either buying or signing a long-term lease.

These units are like apartment living (what you would call a flat?) without a "garden" (US term would be "yard"). No upkeep, no commitment and no lease. They have kitchens and come fully furnished.

Once you get a "feel" for the area: your workplace, the schools, the general "vibe" of the place, then hopefully you will be able to make an informed decision about neighborhoods and where you want to live.

There is a pretty broad and yet delightfully connected group of UK expats here. Hopefully you'll find your niche and settle in comfortably.

Good luck and best wishes.

Thanks for that information. Charwood looks like a good option for us for our house hunting trip. Unfortunately, we can't afford to stay somewhere like that for a while before signing a lease as the company only pays for it for the 4 weeks while our furniture and belongings are shipped over, then we need somewhere to put the furniture. But it is a good option for the hosue hunting trip and for those 4 weeks as we were worried about staying in a hotel with a 1 year old in one bedroom and no kitchen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
View detailed profiles of: