Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2010, 01:15 AM

3 posts, read 58,651 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving to Los Angeles next summer, with family. We really love how its beautiful all year round out there. They have fun things too do, etc. But, the only thing we are worried about is the crime. We've been reading tons of things online about how bad Los Angeles is, & its getting to our heads literally! We are all kind of scared to move out there. Are we thinking all wrong? Is everything online a LIE? We need to know ASAP your opinions of Los Angeles before we even think about moving out there!
*Be Honest*
Right now we live in Indiana, and our town is really safe, but completely boring, and we want to move somewhere fun! i know our safety is more important, but like i said we really like Los Angeles, or so what we've heard about it. actually never been out there. So please comment, and let us know!
we need your help now!
Thankks :)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 03:35 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,753,878 times
why don't you post over on the LA board?

Old 12-16-2010, 09:38 AM

797 posts, read 2,340,049 times
I just got back from a week in the LA metro area. It was 70 and sunny every single day I was there. It's true that there are some scary areas. You'll see some things, particularly closer to downtown and the south central area, like massive amounts of barbed wire surrounding overhead road signs to keep people from defacing them. There are also more serious drugs and gangs I'm sure than you're used to, but there are also areas where you would be able to avoid that if you move out there.

Anaheim was a really nice area and I thought Irvine was as well. Of course, places like Santa Monica and Malibu were beautiful and pretty crime free for the most part but the cost of living is ridiculous I'm sure. If I was moving out there, I would head to the Irvine area. It's close to Laguna Beach which was my favorite beach area, has a lot of hills and mountains in and around the area, and seemed pretty safe.

Of course, you have to realize that the cost of living is going to be super high anywhere you go out there. It's also a huge area and takes at least an hour to get ANYwhere. For example, it took us roughly 2 hours to drive the 40 miles from Santa Monica to Anaheim. That was on a Saturday night between 7-9 PM. Traffic was like rush hour in Indy most of the way.

Anyway, that's all the info I can provide. I'm with DG. You should post on the LA board if you haven't already.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:40 AM

797 posts, read 2,340,049 times
Also, be sure to make a visit before you actually move. And keep in mind that it may seem wonderful coming from Indiana in the middle of winter, but ask yourself if you'd really want to live there all the time. I know I wouldn't

Old 12-16-2010, 09:55 AM

860 posts, read 2,717,712 times
I have moved twice from the Midwest to the west coast, first to Long Beach(Belmont Shore) and second to my present home near Phoenix AZ.
I read an interesting thread titled "seriously, how do people make it out here?" last nite on the CA boards. Read it. Its very informative on understanding how you have to adjust your thinking to CA standards of living. The OPs husband made 6 figures I think, and things were not going well as they tried to maintain their standards of living.
$$$$$$$$- this is the secret to being happy in LA without MAJOR sacrifices. People stop at 1-2 kids so they fit in a 2 bd home. Doggie daycare is huge in LA and San Fran because many can afford doggies, not kids.Ownership? Again, refer to $$$$. Many people change their moral compass to become the sort of person who can make it in LA.
I totally understand wanting more to do, I love how much there is to see and do in the West. But you don't have to live in LA proper to enjoy this. Dreams of stardom, or plenty of $$$$$ are the only real argument to live right in LA. Look into Orange County and San Bernadino areas.Everyone drives to do stuff there. Love your car as much as possible. Consider nice parts of Long Beach, such as Belmont Shore- which are $$$$ instead of $$$$$+.
I had a friend who moved to Hollywood in the 90's to be a screenwriter and she was convinced she had to be right there. I was SO scared going to visit her in her prison style 4th floor compound apt. She could have lived other places, but was convinced it was "Hollywood" or nothing. She moved back after 1 yr.
I love Arizona, there is so much to do for families. The weather is not perfect but an improvement, we can afford to buy not rent, and we can drive to CA in 5-6 hrs. We have 4 kids. But you need to have a job here.

Good Luck!!Its your life and your dream, try and pick one that can come true.
Safety is proportional also to the $$$ factor. Sure you can be safer, but can you afford to live more safely?

Old 12-16-2010, 10:02 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,944,262 times
Move to Glendale. It's just outside the LA city limits and is central to everything you'd need. It's very safe. We walk the streets at night and feel totally free of danger. Lots of malls, lots of theaters, lots of culture, lots of jr. colleges and universities nearby. Avg. 2-bdrm $1200.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:49 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,070,422 times
Yes, Los Angeles is a safe place to live. The outlying communities are even better. I moved there from Indiana 6 years ago, and just moved back for school. I am counting the days until I can go back--and this time I intend to start a family out there.

Some of the best areas to live, in my opinion, are up to the north; Thousand Oaks, Camarillo, and especially San Buenaventura are great places. Close to the city, El Segundo, Redondo Beach, and San Clemente are all good. Inland, Azusa (very asian), Burbank, and Pasadena are all nice. If you want a little slice of the midwest, you can move to Simi Valley, but really, why? You're moving to SoCal for a fun lifestyle, so why go live in the desert or valleys that are clones of midwestern living? Live near the beach and take advantage of the great recreation opportunities it offers.

Yes, COLA is high in SoCal, but if you rent, it's actually comparable or possibly cheaper than Indiana. My grocery bills were always lower because I shopped at the "ethnic" markets where local produce (the same stuff you get here, but not picked unripe and then chemically ripened on trucks) was offered at discount prices. Ventura and the San Jochim (sp?) valley are the fruit-and-veggie cash crop cornucopias of the USA. Public transport and bike/run paths exist and can be put to good use if you position yourself right, and you'll figure out tricks to save on gas/vehicle expenses.

A good cost saving tip is simply to "follow the 'mexicans'. " The legal blue-collar and undocumented Latino population have living cheaply in SoCal wired. Watch what they do, make some friends, and in two years you'll know all the discounts and money-saving tricks. Of course, if you've a white-collar job and papers, you'll have the money to skip the living 10-to-a-house parts and avoid the higher-crime neighborhoods.

People will tell you otherwise, but it is possible to live comfortably on a single income of 70K or so in SoCal if you are smart and frugal. You can't buy 2 new hummers each year or live in a 5600 sqft beach house (or possibly buy property at all) on that kind of money, but if you are into simple living and enjoying the wonderful weather and all the outdoor activities/entertainment as well as the community activities of a lot of the satellite towns I've mentioned, then you'll do just fine.

That said, places close to the action like North Hollywood, Hollywood, anywhere near downtown are expensive, fairly dense, and have higher crime and homeless populations. They're fine for young people and couples, but not the best for families, in my estimation. Then again, living near your work may be worth the trade-off because traffic is probably the worst thing about the south bay. LA's freeway system works great, between the hours of 11PM and 5AM and on-and-off during weekends. Otherwise, it's a parking lot and will drive you insane if you let it. Take advantage of subway and light rail (which means living on the same line that you work on.) if you can.

Avoid South-Central. I used to work nights there, and never had any trouble, but it's not family-friendly, and not a place for the unwary to visit after dark.

LA is a class-A world city and has connections everywhere for when you've gotten used to the city and are ready to explore elsewhere. Save your pennies and vacation days for "cheap" trips to places like Mexico, Hawaii, or overseas to Japan, Thailand, China, or Taiwan. California is very connected to Asia through ex-pats and business links, same goes for south/latin America.

Of course, when you live in a vacation spot, why go anywhere else? Well, the choice is yours. San Francisco is beautiful and fun, only 6 hours up I-5 by car, or you can make a vacation out of the journey itself and travel up the beautiful 101 to the coastal highways and Big Sur. Vegas is 5 hours away. San Diego 2, and world-class skiing is 7 hours by car.

Again, speaking to safety; even though I lived in some bad areas, I never felt threatened. You should stay aware, but you'll get a feel for the places which are safe and which are to be avoided quickly. In fact, it's only after I moved to Indiana that I felt the need to keep a gun in the house for self-defense, due to long emergency response times in the countryside.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:45 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,787,084 times
Up side to L.A. nice weather.

Down sides:

Hight cost in any nice area. Smog. Congestion that will make Indiana look light-speed by comparison. Crime. Whole areas in LA are no-go zones.

Listen, do yourself and your family a favor. Take a trip out to the very town, the very house or appartment you are looking at moving to. Visit the place different days of the week, the weekend and different times of day, go to the schools your children will be attending. If you don't get a warm fuzzy you're in a bad spot. If you see lots of tagging, shave-headed dudes in white teeshirts driving wierd looking cars you in a bad spot. If your kids will be in the vast minorty in a sea of kids from some other country then you may want to consider some other place. If groups of men are seen standing around day and night not doing much but hanging out, if you have people glare at you for no apparent reason, if you have people refuse to speak to you in english, or even try, you're in a bad area. Don't put your children through that, you definitely won't like what growing up in that environment will do to them. They'll either join in, or get crushed. Belive me. I lived it. I escaped it.
Seriously. Do real homework on the town, the area. If you simply MUST move to LA for work or whatever, live in the very BEST place you can afford and send your kids to the very BEST school. (private schools if possible) If that means long commutes, well that's LA, commuting for hours is part of life...."life" there. Don't send your kids to war-zone public schools.
Go and check the area out. If it scares you then it's bad. Move on.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:27 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,482,256 times
Look into Ventura County cities like Oxnard, Camarillo. or Ojai. You will have the great weather, scenery, outdoor activities year round and a lower cost of living than L.A.
You can always go down to LA and visit but are a nice distance from the congestion, smog, and hustle bustle of L.A.
Open up your options and you will find many nice areas of SoCal outside of Los Angeles.
As far as L.A. being safe, it's a big city and every big city will have crime, as do little po dunk towns in the heartland. I found Compton and Watts to be safer than most areas of Detroit, so it all depends.
Use common sense and what will be will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana