Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 07:20 PM

6 posts, read 16,749 times

Advertisements

My family lives in Central FL and we have never lived anywhere outside of FL. And we are just tired of what is happening here. We are looking seriously at Plainfield IN. Boring sounds nice to be honest but I have done some on-line searching and have found many parks and zoos and water attractions and other things to do with the kids that are all reasonably priced and not too far away. (WE are leaving Disney behind it's only a 40 min drive from us now so we will miss that) But being able to afford to do more with our growing family of 4 kids now is a motivating factor for moving. MY reservations are about the weather and I saw you mentioned the heat and humidity...lol after FL's humidity that won't be an issue... It's the icy rain and gloomy skies and did I see you say tornadoes and earth quakes??? Are those really an issue there and please be honest. WE are looking at new construction and are weighing the option and cost of a basement. As for the MOLD... ha ha new construction and warranty!
Common sense there right...! WE are considering a Centex home in a suburb called The Settlement. Ever heard of it and if you have what's the honest low down? I look forward to your advice here. Thanks~

Last edited by sarahsmile; 07-13-2007 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 04:55 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,477,418 times
I have lived in Indy for 30 years (3 during that time in Raleigh NC but we came back).

Weather: We usually have four seasons. Summer is hot and can be humid but a lot of people seem to enjoy the various lakes, pools, etc. It is not as hot and humid consistently or as long as Florida. Of course there are a days of 90+ with high humidity like we just had but then it cools down and is totally gorgeous like yesterday when it was sunny, slightly cool, with a great breeze and blue sky.

I cannot say that I have ever felt an earthquake here (lived thru the 1964 9.2in Alaska so I know earthquakes). Tornadoes are an issue anywhere! in the midwest. Everyone should know how to shelter and we do have a lot of basements. But Florida gets hurricanes, California has fault lines, NE has ice storms, etc. There has not been huge devastation like in Kansas or Oklahoma here. If you are concerned, get a basement.

Winter. Can get icy but we dont get a lot of snow. We drive a front wheel drive Honda Civic and got snow tires and feel fine. Last year we had one week where the snow caused some delays but it is expected to happen at least once. In Raleigh (the south you know) we had 2 feet of snow and school was off for two weeks. In some places in TX you can have 1 inch of snow and the city stops. That wont happen here.

Indy and the surroundings have lots of sports teams for kids. Good schools in the townships and suburbs, lots of Catholic and other religious schools, lots of activities for families. Inexpensive housing and insurance which I am sure you are interested in coming from Florida.

Right now the builders and seller are facing a big inventory. You should be able to negotiate a big discount or free upgrades. Please check out how many houses are for sale in your area already (mibor.com) to see if the area is having foreclosure or other issues. I think our house sales are down 22% and many are just sitting waiting for a buyer (according to a recent newspaper article).

A good builder will not have mold problems. If I was building, I would hire a professional inspector to at least do one complete inspection before closing to get a professional opinion on the defects, etc. Well worth the cost. Talk to some of the neighbors before signing the contract to see if the builder is responsive to fixing defects.

Old 07-14-2007, 03:42 PM

I would like to ask you more about the tornadoes... Here in FL we have the occasional small one here and there. The big ones scare me and I want to know how often and what size tornadoes are common up there. And Thanks for the other info, sounds good. And frankly we are loking forward to some cooler weather. There are only a few tims a year when the temperatures cool off to a nice 50 or even if it gets colder it doesnt last past themorning sun.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:04 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,477,418 times
Indianapolis has good sirens for warning of a tornado. We had one come thru the south side of Indianapolis a few years ago. Just south of I465 and then up the East side of the city at around Post and I70. I dont remember any lives lost because of the warnings. Lots of roof and tree damage but if you go thru the same area today, there is no evidence and everyone rebuilt.

A few have hit north of town, country to me. We are a part of tornado alley. Cannot guarantee no tornados but often they hit a small area and disipate. Try a google search of Indiana tornadoes at:

Indiana Tornadoes
I have been here 30 years and never had issues. We get more warnings because they are careful. They hit a much smaller area than hurricanes

Old 07-14-2007, 05:04 PM

52 posts, read 219,267 times
Plainfield is a nice area. I graduated High School there and have just recently moved to OK. My parents still live in the Avon area (just north of Plainfield) I would recommend Planfield over the surrounding areas for the simple fact that the majority of the area is already developed and property taxes are pretty well set there vs the other areas on the westside are still developing albeit at a slower pace now but the taxes still seem to flucuate some.

Tornadoes are not really a concern there. I lived there for 38 years and can say that one never affected me in any way other than my mother in law had some tress blown down on the one the poster above mentioned that hit the east side of town a few years ago.

Old 07-14-2007, 05:07 PM

Thanks , it helps to be aware of what you are moving to before hand and being able to be mentally prepaired and ready for it...lol

Old 07-15-2007, 04:43 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Don't get too worked up over the tornado issue. Make sure you have a house with a basement, get a weather radio. Our siren system is good and the tv weather people are very knowledgeable.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:03 PM

5 posts, read 21,374 times
Wink Don't sweat the twisters

I've been a Hoosier for almost 40 years now and my only tornado experience was a tree limb through my car window. I was safe in the basement at work. If you move somewhere without a basement, just make friends with a neighbor who has one. Sirens are everywhere, and even if you're in an area without one, you just turn on the radio and listen up. When they do hit, their path is narrow and short lived, so they're a lot easier to hide from than other natural disasters. And tornado season is short!

Old 07-30-2007, 08:01 PM

4 posts, read 58,746 times
Indiana has its issues like any other state but fall is beautiful with the trees turning all colors of red orange and yellow. Winter can be a little icy and cold but spring is something else when everything wakes from its winter sleep and the flowers begin to bloom and the trees leaves come back to full size.. Plainfield is a very nice town. I work in Plainfield and live in a small town just north of Plainfield called Avon. Plainfield has a nice mall and is convienent to most anything you would like to do and close to interstate access it would be the perfect place to raise your 4 kids and the school system is very good. The only downside to Indiana is the property tax Plainfield is in Hendricks county and I would suggest talking to residents of the Hendricks county area and find out what the taxes will run semi-annually and if you are building be careful because the lot is only accessed at $1.00 the first year and it leaves alot of first time home buyers in the hole especailly if they get in at a low payment amount the first year the payments will skyrocket the second year so please check into the taxes and how they are accessed the first year before you build your dream home...and try to get a fixed rate mortage. An existing home could save you alot of heartache and stress. I wish you the best with your decision Plainfield is a very good choice for a growing family.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:13 PM

4 posts, read 58,746 times
Just a note on the tornados I have lived in Indiana all my life (47 years) Hendricks county area and have never had any damage caused by tornados and I live in a mobile home I wont say they never come thru but the coverage on TV and radio is very good sometimes a little to much for my liking but you will know well in advance if one is coming your way the same is true if we are having thunderstorms or snow you will get sick of seeing the weather forecasters on TV.. I wouldn't let the possibility of tornados be your guiding factor in making the decision to move to Indy.. It is a very short season usually in the spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana