Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 04:02 PM

11 posts, read 47,149 times

Advertisements

I was really disappointed and surprised when I moved to Elkhart........ my family lives in Elkhart and I think they have just adjusted to the surroundings. They didn't say anything to me about how things were here. I am glad to hear I am not the only one who feels this way about the area. It is funny how you can go to Mishawaka and see something totally different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 04:18 PM

Thanks, that will really help me in my search.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:48 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,444,117 times
No prob, get outta Elkhart! AKA: Pajamas Accepted in Public town. lol.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
No prob, get outta Elkhart! AKA: Pajamas Accepted in Public town. lol.
Matter of fact I just saw a woman yesterday at Wallmart with her pajamas on !!

Old 01-04-2011, 11:55 AM

34 posts, read 105,958 times
In fairness, I've seen that in Mishawaka and South Bend, too. Especially near the various college campuses.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by narual View Post
In fairness, I've seen that in Mishawaka and South Bend, too. Especially near the various college campuses.
Yes that is true. Even though the people are a reflection of the city they live in, you have to keep an open mind because you will find all kinds of people in every city.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:40 PM

34 posts, read 105,958 times
I think you're equating pajamas in public with hillbillies. I mostly see them on college kids (almost always women) who either decided to go for ultra casual, or ran so late for class that they decided to just wear the pajama bottoms.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:41 PM

625 posts, read 1,801,648 times
Elkhart is not nearly as bad as you make it out to be. The problem with Elkhart is the planning that occurred throughout the city in the 20th century. To say the least, it was very poor, as with many midwestern cities. The area was a major hub for manufacturing (still is) but many of the buildings near downtown and on the outskirts are vacant and eyesores. The city is trying to tear them down, but as we all know this is an expesnive process. One thing I have noticed about Elkhart, living here 20+ years, is that the main corridors (Cassopolis St, Nappanee St, US 33 Main Street, etc.) were the result of terrible zoning and planning. HOwever, if one drives off the main roads, there are some hidden gems in the Elkhart area. Thank goodness that the city has a code enforcement and designated areas of where buildings can/cannot be located now. Have you ever noticed you will see houses, than a blighted old industrial building, a small commercial building/house, more houses. You get the pattern.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr18 View Post
Elkhart is not nearly as bad as you make it out to be. The problem with Elkhart is the planning that occurred throughout the city in the 20th century. To say the least, it was very poor, as with many midwestern cities. The area was a major hub for manufacturing (still is) but many of the buildings near downtown and on the outskirts are vacant and eyesores. The city is trying to tear them down, but as we all know this is an expesnive process. One thing I have noticed about Elkhart, living here 20+ years, is that the main corridors (Cassopolis St, Nappanee St, US 33 Main Street, etc.) were the result of terrible zoning and planning. HOwever, if one drives off the main roads, there are some hidden gems in the Elkhart area. Thank goodness that the city has a code enforcement and designated areas of where buildings can/cannot be located now. Have you ever noticed you will see houses, than a blighted old industrial building, a small commercial building/house, more houses. You get the pattern.
I get your point, I guess what I mean is Elkhart has zero in the way of entertainment compared to the South Bend area. There is just nothing going on over there. I lived there much of my life and finally decided to get out due to lack of things to do. Sure Mishawaka aint Malibu lol but just seems a little nicer and has more variety in shopping, dining etc. and the people seem a bit more open minded.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by narual View Post
I think you're equating pajamas in public with hillbillies. I mostly see them on college kids (almost always women) who either decided to go for ultra casual, or ran so late for class that they decided to just wear the pajama bottoms.
...and the hillbillys sport the PJ's as well...mostly at Walmart. I see it all the time. Unless my eyes are lying again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana