Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 05:34 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,274 times

Advertisements

Maybe I am being a crazy liberal, but aren't having In God We Trust plates for free unfair? I mean if I want an IU or Colts plate it costs extra money along with every other specialty plate, but for some reason In God We Trust is free. I just think that it's unfair for those who are religious to get a free plate. By the way this is coming from the perspective of a Christian and this isn't just random; it popped in my head after reading this article.

ACLU's suit against BMV is dismissed | The Indianapolis Star | IndyStar.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 05:37 PM

7 posts, read 28,191 times
I'll help ease your philosophical burden. Give me all your currency marked with the completely unfair words "In God We Trust" and I'll make sure it doesn't get used improperly by the religious radicals.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:52 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
That's a strawman statement tim,... please.

The reason the state doesn't charge for "the god plates" is to appease the God people without money going to one specific "god". If you don't want "the god plate", then decline it. I get my IU plate and I'm happy to have that extra money go to my alma mater.

I'm more hacked about not being able to renew my tags at a branch ... what a load!

Old 01-02-2011, 06:03 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,170 times
It does seem to be pandering to the God crowd. I opted for the plain blue ones.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:14 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Maybe I am being a crazy liberal, but aren't having In God We Trust plates for free unfair? I mean if I want an IU or Colts plate it costs extra money along with every other specialty plate, but for some reason In God We Trust is free. I just think that it's unfair for those who are religious to get a free plate. By the way this is coming from the perspective of a Christian and this isn't just random; it popped in my head after reading this article.

ACLU's suit against BMV is dismissed | The Indianapolis Star | IndyStar.com
I agree wholeheartedly. As an atheist, I'd rather not let the state speak on behalf of my (lack of) religion.

The way they got around that was by offering the blue "default" plates in addition to the God plates.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:26 PM

631 posts, read 1,093,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
The way they got around that was by offering the blue "default" plates in addition to the God plates.
Th OP conveniently left this part out just to try to stir something up. You don't like the "IGWT" plates, opt for the regular FREE blue plates. Simple.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:48 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrob View Post
Th OP conveniently left this part out just to try to stir something up. You don't like the "IGWT" plates, opt for the regular FREE blue plates. Simple.
I didn't conveniently leave it out. I own one of those blue plates. All I am saying is that I don't believe it is fair that anything other than the standard blue plates is free, unless you make every type of license plate free. Why don't you justify why the IGWT plates should be free?

Old 01-02-2011, 08:08 PM

914 posts, read 4,445,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrob View Post
It isn't always that simple, though. There are BVM branches that have only the In God We Trust plates at times. Meaning that if it isn't want you want you have to stop your BMV rep in the middle of the transaction, say "Hey, that isn't want I want", and then wait while they redo the info in the system and order you regular plates. I know two people who didn't really want them but ended up with them anyway because that is what the DMV gave them, and they didn't say anything.

I can see the OP's point. It does cost the Indiana taxpayer some additional money to print a second free plate. So, in essence, everyone is is subsidizing the cost of the plate for people who want a special religious plate, while people who want a different special plate have to pay the state for it.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:32 AM

54 posts, read 99,333 times
If I had to PAY to get outta having the "IGWT" plates, THEN I'd be ticked. As it is, I'll settle for the exceptionally boring plain blue plate.

I would, however, love to have the Autism plate, but don't think (as the OP stated) I should have to pay for it if there is a specialty plate for free - they should all be free.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:10 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,898 times
Boo hoo.

Life's unfair until we can get a " I worship satan " plate for "free".

Guess what, God is on all your money too "in God (capital "G") we trust".
Every member of the military swears "so help me GOD" to defend YOU and this country.
All our elected officials take the same oath. (probably allot more lightly though)
In the courts you swear to GOD that your testimony is the truth.
God is all over the Constitution the Bill of Rights and the Declaration of Independence, with phrases like "in the year of our Lord" (capital "L") and "the Supreme Judge" and "the Protection of the divine Providence" all references to GOD, etc etc.

You live in the wrong country if you have a problem with "God" because like God, it's everywhere in America.

Get the Plain Blue Plate for free if the other one gives you a twist. And if you have an issue with your "In God We Trust" CASH....donate it all to charity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana