Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 04:01 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,100,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoT View Post
Well, they have marketed themselves well since they started calling themselves Earle. I'm thinking it's probably always been Earle, just like Warrenton was here before Haubstadt but only the locals call it Warrenton, so it's good to be able to make the distinction now.
Earle had a post office back in the day, so there's at least some sort of officialness to the name.

The area north out of Evansville used to be dotted with a whole bunch of little place names: Mechanicsville, Erskine Station, McCutchanville, Earle, Daylight, Elliot, Oakdam. As more and more people started moving out that way, the names started becoming less significant. Heck...on top of that, there are the old old names that the locals referred to. I'll bet that you wouldn't even need two hands to count the number of people out there who would know how to get to Gabtown, Grimwood, and Goshen.

Gahblamit, I feel old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 01:25 PM

512 posts, read 857,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vanderburgh View Post
Earle had a post office back in the day, so there's at least some sort of officialness to the name.

The area north out of Evansville used to be dotted with a whole bunch of little place names: Mechanicsville, Erskine Station, McCutchanville, Earle, Daylight, Elliot, Oakdam. As more and more people started moving out that way, the names started becoming less significant. Heck...on top of that, there are the old old names that the locals referred to. I'll bet that you wouldn't even need two hands to count the number of people out there who would know how to get to Gabtown, Grimwood, and Goshen.

Gahblamit, I feel old.
Wow, you've taught me something, and I grew up in the area. I do have the History of Vandergurgh County, but I haven't gotten very far. I just don't have as much time to read as I'd like.

Thanks for the education.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:38 PM

36 posts, read 100,920 times
Earle is the place to be. very happy we moved here

Old 02-21-2011, 01:11 PM

157 posts, read 567,211 times
I think Earle sounds like a great fit for my family.. now if someone would be willing to RENT us a house there, I'd be really happy!

Old 02-21-2011, 06:16 PM

36 posts, read 100,920 times
you could just buy mine lol

Old 02-21-2011, 09:09 PM

We aren't in a place to buy a house or we would in a SECOND!! There are some very reasonable prices that would make our payment way, way less than a rental payment for the same house.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:31 PM

FYI, cam, the County Commissioners passed a smoking ban in all bars and restaurants at their meeting tonight. It only affects establishments outside of the city limits, though. But at least if you do move to Asbury Pointe, you can soon take your family to The Frontier or The Hornet's Nest and not come out smelling like an ashtray.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:46 PM

That'd be awfully nice! We're from MI, where that law was passed a few years ago. Richmond,VA just passed it in the last year. It just seems appropriate that Evansville, IN will pass it as we're on our way there! LOL! Watch out, we're also told we bring snow!

Old 02-23-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by consideringamove View Post
Watch out, we're also told we bring snow!
Have I mentioned how horrible of a place this is? Y'all should save yourself while you still can. I hear Indy is a nice little town.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:57 AM

19 posts, read 107,901 times
far west side near USI is great! but definately NOT Newburgh! richy richy and stuck up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana