Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 03:23 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,607,840 times

Advertisements

All of the things that Republicans in the Indiana State House are proposing are going to kill our state. I seriously have no idea why they are trying to put a priority on all of this backwards social legislation that serves no purpose other than promoting discrimination. All this is going to do is keep businesses that seek a diverse and educated workforce away from our state.

Gun bill raises concerns for CIB properties | 2011-02-17 | Indianapolis Business Journal | IBJ.com
New abortion restrictions win Indiana House committee approval | The Indianapolis Star | indystar.com
Constitutional ban on gay marriage in Indiana moves forward with big yes vote from state Senate - Last Word

If all of this legislation passes and isn't overturned during one of the upcoming general assembly sessions, I'm sure that a lot of people will be doing what I might end up doing and leaving Indiana forever. All these proposals do is confirm many people's stereotypes that everyone from Indiana is a backwards hick!

Old 02-17-2011, 03:36 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,741,511 times
Hey, people voted in a double Republican majority ... it's all good for them. Mitch is done in 12 ... who knows what is going to happen after that.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:00 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,118,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
All of the things that Republicans in the Indiana State House are proposing are going to kill our state. I seriously have no idea why they are trying to put a priority on all of this backwards social legislation that serves no purpose other than promoting discrimination. All this is going to do is keep businesses that seek a diverse and educated workforce away from our state.

Gun bill raises concerns for CIB properties | 2011-02-17 | Indianapolis Business Journal | IBJ.com
New abortion restrictions win Indiana House committee approval | The Indianapolis Star | indystar.com
Constitutional ban on gay marriage in Indiana moves forward with big yes vote from state Senate - Last Word

If all of this legislation passes and isn't overturned during one of the upcoming general assembly sessions, I'm sure that a lot of people will be doing what I might end up doing and leaving Indiana forever. All these proposals do is confirm many people's stereotypes that everyone from Indiana is a backwards hick!
Glad to hear that other Hoosiers are concerned about this.

Our fiscally conservative Republican governor asked the state leg to avoid divisive social issues and instead focus on the economy and job-creation...and what did they do??? The exact opposite!

It's almost as if their slogan for this session is "Flyover Country. Let's Keep It That Way".

Old 02-17-2011, 08:09 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,495,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Glad to hear that other Hoosiers are concerned about this.

Our fiscally conservative Republican governor asked the state leg to avoid divisive social issues and instead focus on the economy and job-creation...and what did they do??? The exact opposite!

It's almost as if their slogan for this session is "Flyover Country. Let's Keep It That Way".
Read...my...mind...

Old 02-17-2011, 08:21 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,337,246 times
Quote:

Anyone who supports the 2nd amendment while opposing abortion and gay marriage is a backwards hick?

How do you describe people opposed to the 2nd amendment, who support gay marriage and abortion-on-demand?

Old 02-17-2011, 09:11 PM

512 posts, read 862,108 times
Quote:

Thankfully you live in a country in which you're free to pick up and move to another state which better represents your values. For the most part Indiana is about as conservative as they come, and even the more liberal areas still hold socially conservative views. Doesn't make it right or wrong, but if it's stereotypical backwards hick to you, then so be it.

And as far as your comment in bold, what do these proposed bills do to keep a diverse and educated workforce away? Are you calling people in favor of these bills non diverse and uneducated? Is everything black and white to you?

Old 02-17-2011, 11:41 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,607,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoT View Post
And as far as your comment in bold, what do these proposed bills do to keep a diverse and educated workforce away? Are you calling people in favor of these bills non diverse and uneducated? Is everything black and white to you?
What I mean is that most of the highly educated people in our country want diversity in their communities and don't like social legislation that restricts people's rights. It's because of this reason that most of the highly skilled students that graduate from Indiana colleges end up moving to places on the East and West coasts. Businesses won't want to relocate to a place that highly skilled workers don't want to live in.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:34 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,067,439 times
Well it's not like we weren't planning on leaving in the first place, this just confirms our decision. Still, I think it's totally awesome that the state legislature is passing a law which ensures that people can't be barred from bringing firearms into the city skating rink, another law which makes it so that doctors won't be able to perform abortions after 20 weeks, and that people are so afraid of gays marrying that they have to write it into the constitution!

It'll make for interesting conversations: "Well, you know, I once lived in a place where..."

Condolences to those of you who don't like these actions but who are stuck here, and congratulations to the conservatives who are getting their way. Hope it makes you happy.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:25 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,300,247 times
Before everyone gets into a fuss, remember that the proposal to add a gay marriage ban to the constitution has to pass through the state house under two different sessions. So, if it passes now, it has to pass again with a new group of legislators in maybe 3 years. There is still a chance it won't pass.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:16 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,300,247 times
Quote:
Thankfully you live in a country in which you're free to pick up and move to another state which better represents your values.
Interesting. If you don't like it leave, that attitude won't change anyone's perception of Indiana.

Quote:
Tell me why we need to add a constitutional ban on gay marriage in this state. I am listening.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 02-18-2011 at 06:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana