Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2011, 10:43 AM

94 posts, read 274,374 times

Advertisements

My husband is starting a new job there this month, I'll be staying in Virginia to sell the house and will then join him.

We're in our 50's, have 2 grandchildren, no children living at home with us.
We love nature - have lots of bird feeders, enjoy walking in parks and by rivers. Hubby used to be a big time whitewater canoeist but he's had 3 back surgeries so sticks to milder waters these days.

I love to write fiction and will be working on that - any creative types out there?

We're considering buying a house or looking into condo's - any ideas on that? I haven't seen many condo's there.

Thanks for all and any info!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 03:22 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,061,372 times
The Wabash (and Tippecanoe) makes for some placid canoeing. You can go upriver if you've a mind to, can read the river, and have strong arms. The Wildcat Creek is a little more exciting. There are a few parks where you can launch a Canoe into the Wildcat and then make your way down to the Wabash.

There are lots of subdivisions. The ones in town are older with smaller houses, but they are closer to established groceries, parks, and markets. There are large and medium-sized houses in endless duplication in the outer suburbs, but you will likely need to drive any time you want or need to go out, even for groceries.

There are some condos in town. The Heritage Trail path is being extended along the Wabash in the Lafayette area and runs--sometimes paved, sometimes just a mud track--all the way to the Battlefield in Battleground, and--I think--to Fort Ouiatenon (sp?) in the other direction. You could live near downtown in a condo or townhouse and be within walking distance of the river paths and parks. The West side of the river is younger and louder due to the university, but only in the direct area of the University and near the intersection of 43 and 26. The East side holds all the "big" buildings of downtown Lafayette.

I don't much care for the outskirts of town. Winters are turning snowy again, and so you'll do better with a 4WD vehicle if you live on any country lane. Outside the Wabash River/Tippecanoe/and any local creek Valleys, there's not much but flat endless cornfields and a few stands of woods and meadows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana