Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 07:34 PM

423 posts, read 1,248,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epeaches View Post
Evansville, IN is a city in trouble. A lot of lay offs and not a lot of opportunities. Last I heard, they dismantled there unemployment because businesses said they could not afford to pay the premiums. There is a lot of crime there but not a lot of crime is reported. Mostly a red neck area. Racists and klan definitely in Evansville, IN even though they have a small minority group (10 to 12 percent). Racial tensions are boiling just under the all white fluffy surface. A little black kid was hung in a school in Evansville, the white (racist KKK) teacher said he was depressed and hung himself. He was obviously murdered but it appears no justice has been done for him so far.
This seems to be a harsh post and I'm sorry, but I really question the truth of it. Evansville, like Fort Wayne, is a heavily German city, and this is the first I have ever heard of it being a big klan center (and this is from someone who supports the Southern Poverty Law Center, which monitors hate groups). In fact, the current map of hate groups shows none whatsoever in that part of the state. Do you have a citation for this story of the African American kid hanged in a school?

At any rate, the folks in Evansville don't hate black people enough to let it influence their voting decision. Despite the fact that Vanderburgh County (where Evansville is located) is only about 8 or 9% black, it still voted for Obama in the last election--after generally going overwhelminingly republican.

Calling a place a "mostly redneck area" (we're talking about 200,000 people here) is no more fair than saying The Calumet Region (Northwest Indiana) is full of ghetto thugs. Clearly it's not. Such broad generalizations are insulting to both the whites and blacks in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 08:23 PM

512 posts, read 861,870 times
LOL. Obviously Epeaches hasn't had much experience living in Evansville. Not sure where you got your information from, maybe you meant to speak of another city you know of. But the way you described Evansville is way off base and, quite frankly, spoken from hearsay, no stats to back up your accusations. I grew up smack dab in the middle of the city and I'm neither racist or redneck. There are problems in every city and town in American, and for that matter the entire world, but to brand a city this way is misleading and a bit offensive.

The next time you find yourself close by, stop on in. I bet your personal experience will be much better!

Old 06-29-2009, 05:22 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Evansville, IN is a city in trouble. A lot of lay offs and not a lot of opportunities. Last I heard, they dismantled there unemployment because businesses said they could not afford to pay the premiums. There is a lot of crime there but not a lot of crime is reported. Mostly a red neck area. Racists and klan definitely in Evansville, IN even though they have a small minority group (10 to 12 percent). Racial tensions are boiling just under the all white fluffy surface. A little black kid was hung in a school in Evansville, the white (racist KKK) teacher said he was depressed and hung himself. He was obviously murdered but it appears no justice has been done for him so far.
Take your trolling elsewhere....

Old 09-02-2009, 10:26 AM

2 posts, read 11,963 times
Thumbs down Worst place to live ever

TALK ABOUT THE WORST CITY U COULD LIVE IN! SO SMALL HALF OF EVERYONE IS UP IN YOUR BUSINESS AND EVERYONE ELSE ARE A BUNCH OF THEIVES STEAL ANYTHING U DON'T NAIL DOWN!THIS CITY HAS BEEN FALLING APART FOR YEARS AND THIS IS THE WORST SO FAR IF I EVER HAD A HOUSE JUST GIVEN TO ME IN THAT CITY I WOULD SELL IT AND GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE!

TELL ME HOW ONE PERSON CAN OWN THE WATER COMPANY AND THE GAS COMPANY AND PRETTY MUCH THE WHOLE CITY?
WTG PAM HENDRICKSON U HAVE DONE WELL FOR BOONVILLE I HOPE U AND YOUR RICH FAMILY HAVE GOTTEN ALL THAT U WANT OFF THE REST OF THAT CITY!

IF U EVER THINK ABOUT MOVING TO BOONVILLE "RETHINK IT"
OR AT LEAST UNTIL PAM HENDRICKSON AND THE REST OF HER SCAMMING FAMILY IS OUT OF THERE.

BOONVILLE INDIANA RATED NUMBER 1 ON WORST PLACES TO LIVE!

Old 09-02-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAM HENDRICKSON View Post
TALK ABOUT THE WORST CITY U COULD LIVE IN! SO SMALL HALF OF EVERYONE IS UP IN YOUR BUSINESS AND EVERYONE ELSE ARE A BUNCH OF THEIVES STEAL ANYTHING U DON'T NAIL DOWN!THIS CITY HAS BEEN FALLING APART FOR YEARS AND THIS IS THE WORST SO FAR IF I EVER HAD A HOUSE JUST GIVEN TO ME IN THAT CITY I WOULD SELL IT AND GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE!

TELL ME HOW ONE PERSON CAN OWN THE WATER COMPANY AND THE GAS COMPANY AND PRETTY MUCH THE WHOLE CITY?
WTG PAM HENDRICKSON U HAVE DONE WELL FOR BOONVILLE I HOPE U AND YOUR RICH FAMILY HAVE GOTTEN ALL THAT U WANT OFF THE REST OF THAT CITY!

IF U EVER THINK ABOUT MOVING TO BOONVILLE "RETHINK IT"
OR AT LEAST UNTIL PAM HENDRICKSON AND THE REST OF HER SCAMMING FAMILY IS OUT OF THERE.

BOONVILLE INDIANA RATED NUMBER 1 ON WORST PLACES TO LIVE!
This is actually a thread about Evansville, IN....

Old 09-02-2009, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 11,963 times
I would not recomend moving to evansville either especially if you are young stay away! Unless you like everyone in buisness and thieves that steal anything and everthing i even had the radiator stold out of my truck my sons swing set was not put up and the city took it to the scrap yard dont know how this is legal but do not move HERE ever THE worst mistake of my life. I am moving to georgia. Gl

Old 09-02-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I would not recomend moving to evansville either especially if you are young stay away! Unless you like everyone in buisness and thieves that steal anything and everthing i even had the radiator stold out of my truck my sons swing set was not put up and the city took it to the scrap yard dont know how this is legal but do not move HERE ever THE worst mistake of my life. I am moving to georgia. Gl
Yes, because Georgia is such the oasis of crime free living and pristine prefection

*stops*

I can not even finish typing this with a straight face.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:45 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,007 times
Quote:

Oh please... I grew up just north of Evansville & while no place is perfect, some people like to create their own problems & drama.. As a matter of fact, I worked there & lived in an apartment in a historic home that was downtown by the river when I was 23 & single. I had some of the best times of my life there...I never had a single problem with crime & never felt unsafe. Left my vehicle parked on the street every night & no one ever touched it. Of course, in any area, you have to be smart & aware of your surroundings. I don't know what side of town you lived on but of course there are areas (in any city) that you would expect things to happen. And I find when people come on here & the very first post is something nasty, negative & frankly, reads like they are having a nervous breakdown, the statements made are incorrect & bloated.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:27 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,576,070 times
I don't have statistics etc... but in my opinion it is a pretty good place. There is plenty of shopping and entertainment (at least for me).

Old 09-02-2009, 08:03 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Quote:

I find this post interesting because about 6 months ago I was pursuing a well paying position that would have relocated me to Evansville. We did a couple of trips and would have been okay with the city but got a better offer in a larger city. After, i mentioned it to a close friend from Indianapolis who said the same thing as peaches - unsolicited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana