Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 09:44 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,107,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Evansville is overwhelmingly white, and there is no part of Evansville that is as bombed out and crime-ridden as some parts of Detroit. Take a drive through some of the neighborhoods along 7 Mile Road in Detroit, or along Michigan Ave from Dearborn into the city, or the Delray neighborhood, or visit Brightmoor in Detroit, then report back to us.
They've both had Jim Leyland manage their baseball team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 01:51 AM

205 posts, read 587,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vanderburgh View Post
They've both had Jim Leyland manage their baseball team.
I had forgotten about the Triplets being the Tigers' AAA afilliate.

In a nutshell, there is nothing in Evansville which would begin to compare with the seedier parts of Detroit. I have, on this forum, compared Evansville of the 80s/90s with Detroit, of course on a much smaller and less violent scale. .. decaying city center, exodus to the outlying areas, declining tax base and property values, loss of major industrial employers.

At least Detroit kept its baseball team. We lost the Triplets almost 30 years ago.

In the past 15 years or so, though, we've gone a long way toward righting the ship.

(As an aside, this might be of interest. Check out this photo site called The Ruins of Detroit http://detroityes.com/home.htm)

Old 03-05-2011, 03:24 PM

512 posts, read 861,870 times
Coming in late on the flood issue, but it's not as bad as it sounds, unless you live at a river camp, or on the south side of town, as others have already mentioned. It's one of the reasons to stay away from that part of town. Otherwise, the rest of us just have really soggy yards.

The reason it makes news is becuase local government in recent years has neglected to address the issue of poor drainage and planning. Instead of taking care of the residents in the area, they'd rather take their tax dollars and make a legacy for themselves. Now it's reported on every time there's potential for flooding, which is a good thing because it's putting the pressure on those officals.

So far I haven't heard how bad it's gotten. Since I don't usually go down there I'll probably have to wait for the paper tomorrow to find out.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:50 AM

60 posts, read 103,310 times
Just be carefull if I see a house on the east side. Thanks again everyone for all of the help. I am still waiting for ivy tech to hit me back about the position. Wish me luck

Old 03-07-2011, 06:08 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,107,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimo734 View Post
Just be carefull if I see a house on the east side.
There are a lot of nice neighborhoods on the east side, but they can get kind of pricey. Good luck with Ivy Tech.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:10 PM

19 posts, read 108,184 times
no lol not at all. I used to live in Indy and even Indy has much rougher areas then Evansville but i would pick another part of town first.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:00 AM

It seems like the east side is not too bad as long as you are not west of 41 which is an area I will not move to but rentals are so scarce. I am more worried about the potential floods in one of those neighbor hoods.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:41 AM

19 posts, read 108,184 times
Quote:
it seems like the east side is not too bad as long as you are not west of 41 which is an area i will not move to but rentals are so scarce. I am more worried about the potential floods in one of those neighbor hoods.
westside westside westside!

Old 03-08-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mEYEke812 View Post
westside westside westside!
I could not find any rentals on the west side. I will take your word for it and keep an eye out for westside homes.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:56 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
It seems like the east side is not too bad as long as you are not west of 41 which is an area I will not move to but rentals are so scarce. I am more worried about the potential floods in one of those neighbor hoods.
The flooding issues may have been a little overblown in this thread.

If there are two inches of rain, in a short period of time, flooding will occur regardless of whether it is the east side of Evansville or Taylor, MI.

I think you should be more concerned with Evansville's reaction to winter weather. 4 inches of snow throws the city into a frenzy, and they do not clean the roads very well.

If you have not done so, you might check out http://www.fetterproperty.com/fp/

Fetter gets mixed reviews, but they are worth a look.

EDIT: I should add, I used to rent a house near the corner of Ravenswood and Lodge. It is an area that no doubt is frowned upon by some, but I never had any problems down there. I found the house by driving around and calling when I saw signs in front yards.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 03-08-2011 at 12:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana