Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 11:51 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,027,782 times

Advertisements

The Indiana inferiority complex rears its ugly head yet again.

It amazes me how ignorant Hoosiers can be with regards to their own state. Lake Michigan, top universities, a world class city with museums and other assorted cultural offerings, and pleasant small towns.

Why does every place have to be California or New York? These places aren't for everyone and are far from perfect, cultural opportunities or not. It's stressful to live in California, the cost of living is astronomical, and its schools are terrible. The same can be said for my current state.

Have some pride, for Christ's sake. Stand the hell up for yourselves once in a while. If you wont do it, how do you expect others to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 07:27 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,532,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
The Indiana inferiority complex rears its ugly head yet again.

It amazes me how ignorant Hoosiers can be with regards to their own state. Lake Michigan, top universities, a world class city with museums and other assorted cultural offerings, and pleasant small towns.

Why does every place have to be California or New York? These places aren't for everyone and are far from perfect, cultural opportunities or not. It's stressful to live in California, the cost of living is astronomical, and its schools are terrible. The same can be said for my current state.

Have some pride, for Christ's sake. Stand the hell up for yourselves once in a while. If you wont do it, how do you expect others to?
Amen.

Unfortunately, the system won't let me rep you.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:13 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,476,084 times
I have been all over the country and I enjoy the west coast over any other area. If it were not for the COL/economy I'd be living there. Once you have been or lived in more scenic places you may then see that Indiana and the midwest is a bit drab and boring and void of scenery. The people in the midwest are a bit more uptight and conservative, maybe it's from lack of sunlight and recreation? Who knows.
People are people you have good, bad and wierd anywhere you go.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,061 times
Some of the best places to visit in Indiana are:
1. Michigan city
2. Indiana Dunes
3. Bloomington
4. Nashville
5. Fort Wayne.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 03-18-2011 at 08:40 AM..

Old 03-24-2011, 04:04 PM

79 posts, read 204,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoT View Post
I think as far as people go, we're entirely unique. Our culture is so diverse, because of our location. Yeah, people don't know where to categorize us. Are we North? South? (funny, when I lived in TX I was called a Damn Yankee ) Are we Midwest? Well, we're all three and so much more. I think that's a huge asset to the state, to have people so diverse.
I'm from the Northeast...so I'm technically a Damn Yankee. Midwesterners are just Yankees...lol. I live in Kentucky with my husband (from Michigan) and he's just a "Yankee" but I am a "Damn Yankee" so there is apparently a difference between the two, at least here.

I think in Indiana, there are all three influences--from the North, Midwest, and South---depending on which part of the state you are in. Southern Indiana has a pretty distinct southern feel to it, the center of the state has a Midwestern feel and the Northern part is pretty distinctive, but still Northern in character. I'm not sure why people bash on the state, as it has a lot to offer and I have always enjoyed visiting Indiana every time that I have traveled there for business or recreation. It's pretty much the only state that has the South/North/Midwest combined that I know of.

The only complaint I have about Indiana is the number of highway patrol on the freeways in the southern and central part of the state, especially heading from KY to Indianapolis...wow...there are sure a LOT of them...lol. I think I saw one at least every couple of miles or so--quite a change from driving in TN or KY where I'm used to driving fast

Old 03-24-2011, 04:30 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,723,787 times
When I'm driving on 65 south of Indy ... it's always Kentucky and Tennessee people who fly by me ... is it because there aren't as many cops???

Old 03-24-2011, 08:06 PM

797 posts, read 2,337,873 times
I saw plenty of cops on 65 last weekend heading to Louisville. Coming back north, it was all Illinois and Michigan tags that were riding my bumper. I guess running 80 in a 70 just isn't fast enough for some people

Old 03-25-2011, 07:15 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,283,297 times
When I was in Michigan over Christmas, we drove up from Detroit to Frankenmueth on I-75. The speed limit on I-75 in Oakland County is 70. I was doing a shade over 80. People were zooming by me like I was standing still. I am always impressed by how much faster people in Michigan drive than, honestly, every other state I have ever lived in or visited.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:20 AM

96 posts, read 195,202 times
Those state troopers that operate out of the Seymour post are seemingly everywhere along I-65 all at once!

Old 03-27-2011, 10:25 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,614,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren View Post
Those state troopers that operate out of the Seymour post are seemingly everywhere along I-65 all at once!

And I thought Ohio was the state with all the cops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana