Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 5,356 times

Advertisements

I am looking at going to IU for grad school in the fall and I am looking for some firsthand accounts and advice as to where to start looking at apartments. I have plenty of sites I've been using to look places up, however you can only learn so much by looking online. I prefer living somewhere near enough to campus to walk, but I understand that the bus system is pretty good so that's not going to be a decision breaker. Any advice given would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 02:34 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
It would help if we knew what school you'll be in ... IU's campus is huge ... if you are at the law school, there are a lot of student rentals in the area since it's close to downtown. If you are at SPEA or Kelly, living in the area of the law school is going to mean a lot of trudging around on foot or taking the campus bus.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:20 PM

2 posts, read 5,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
It would help if we knew what school you'll be in ... IU's campus is huge ... if you are at the law school, there are a lot of student rentals in the area since it's close to downtown. If you are at SPEA or Kelly, living in the area of the law school is going to mean a lot of trudging around on foot or taking the campus bus.
I suppose that would make sense! My undergrad was a much smaller university so I didn't think of it. I'll be attending SLIS.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:52 AM

607 posts, read 1,216,463 times
For an easy walk to SLIS, I'd suggest looking at apartments around 10th and Dunn, 10th and Indiana. There are a few buses that drop off at Wells library, the library connected to SLIS, so that gives you plenty of options. When i was at IU, i lived across the street from the football stadium. It was much cheaper than downtown Bloomington and a 15 min walk or a quick ride to Wells on one of the Stadium buses that run frequently during the week. The only annoyance about living in that area is the major traffic and noise on game days.
I had a hard time finding places in Bloomington online. I ended up going down for a few days, driving around looking for 'for rent' signs and making appointments accordingly to find my place.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:15 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
That's where I went! I lived my first year in Eigenman, which was the grad school dorm. Then, since I worked at the law school, I got an apartment closed to that side of campus. A lot of my classmates lived close to 10th and Dunn.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:58 PM

196 posts, read 696,710 times
If a house will do, you might find something here. IU Real Estate

Old 03-30-2011, 01:59 PM

30 posts, read 121,190 times
I'm an IU grad student, too (just started in the School of Education this spring), and I found the house I'm renting on the IU graduate student housing board. I have no idea where that is; my program sent me a link when I accepted their admissions offer. You might want to email the Graduate Secretary for your program and ask where that's posted OR try searching the IU Bloomington site, which is very user-friendly. I've only lived here for 3 months and am new to the midwest, but if you have any questions, please ask!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
View detailed profiles of: