Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 06:48 PM

251 posts, read 951,002 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Columbus most of my memories would be from the late 1970's to mid 1980's. My family alway purchased season tickets for Columbus North High School's games, and we would travel to most away games. It was not uncommon to have thousands of fans at both Columbus North and Columbus East games. The games seemed to bring the community together.

Of course at that time both IU and PU had very competive teams on the national level(along with Norte Dame and ISU for a few years). Many of my best memories of Indiana had something to do with basketball.

I now live a long way away from Indiana, and I have lost touch with my Indiana friends. Where I moved basketball was not nearly as important. So I guess my long winded question would be is basketball as big in Indiana now as it was then ?

ETA what really made me ask this question is I come hear looking for a thread to give congrats to Butler, but was a little disapointed no one had started a thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 06:14 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Well, this is primarily a relocation/information about the state type of place, not a sports board, although I will start a thread for Butler because it's tremendous.

Class basketball has taken a lot of air out of Hoosier Hysteria, in my opinion. It's benefited small schools more than big schools .. again, in my opinion. Playing no-class ball myself, it was great to defeat a huge school (my school is now in 2A), especially during tournament time ... we made it to Semi-state my senior year.

Living in Columbus now, basketball isn't king in this town. People get more geared up for football games, it seems.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:48 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,077,296 times
Football seems to have taken over, at least in my opinion. Class basketball has taken some of the air out of basketball in this state, but over the last decades, some schools went on spending sprees with their football stadiums. Some have nice gyms, but it seems football has become more popular, especially with the popularity of Payton Manning and the Colts. The Pacers were popular in the 90s, early 2000s, but after the arena riot in Detroit, Indy has basically solidified itself as a football city, at least for now. Indy fans are bandwagon jumpers, and if the Colts have three or five loosing seasons in a row, and the Pacers end up going far into the playoffs, it could easily switch back.

The one thing that helps football is the tailgating. It is a huge event in various areas downtown. It seems to me at least, that tailgating has become a huge thing at both the pro and college levels. Now I'm hearing that even high school parking lots are becoming a focal point for a tailgating get together. Not sure if that type of social bonding will ever happen with basketball.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:52 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
Football seems to have taken over, at least in my opinion. Class basketball has taken some of the air out of basketball in this state, but over the last decades, some schools went on spending sprees with their football stadiums. Some have nice gyms, but it seems football has become more popular, especially with the popularity of Payton Manning and the Colts. The Pacers were popular in the 90s, early 2000s, but after the arena riot in Detroit, Indy has basically solidified itself as a football city, at least for now. Indy fans are bandwagon jumpers, and if the Colts have three or five loosing seasons in a row, and the Pacers end up going far into the playoffs, it could easily switch back.

The one thing that helps football is the tailgating. It is a huge event in various areas downtown. It seems to me at least, that tailgating has become a huge thing at both the pro and college levels. Now I'm hearing that even high school parking lots are becoming a focal point for a tailgating get together. Not sure if that type of social bonding will ever happen with basketball.
OMG ... the first time I've agreed with you in a long time, Rave.

For me, the highlight, what exemplified Hoosier Hysteria was Scott Skiles making a last second shot to defeat a tremendous Gary Roosevelt team in the 1982 state championship ... did you know that Plymouth has gone on to win another state championship? Nope ... know why? Because nobody cares anymore.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:23 PM

251 posts, read 951,002 times
[quote=domergurl;18564559]Well, this is primarily a relocation/information about the state type of place, not a sports board, although I will start a thread for Butler because it's tremendous.

I'm sorry if I'm off topic. I admit I have never read the TOS; however in the time I've been here and in sub forums I normally visit it seems pretty much anything goes as long as it has to do the specific region. Current examples in the Indiana Forum would include. Indiana Stereotypes, Animal Abuse, Where to meet Successful guys,Sports Bars, none of which seem to be very relevant to relocation.

ETA: OK I can see where stereotypes could play a part if someone was deciding wheter to move based on preconceived notion and wanted to see if it had any merit.

Last edited by witton; 04-03-2011 at 12:32 PM..

Old 04-03-2011, 08:10 PM

797 posts, read 2,338,014 times
Although the Colts have expanded the football base here, I still think at heart Indiana is a basketball state. Especially at the college level, the Indiana sports scene is much more competitive in basketball. Just look at how many people are getting behind Butler. If the Pacers hadn't gone downhill morally (ie getting into brawls at games and ending up involved with shootings and strip club incidents late at night), I think they would have maintained more popularity despite their less than spectacular records. There's just so much history in Indiana with basketball, I don't think people have forgotten it and moved on to football yet. Also, using the word class in front of basketball is like a dirty word.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:13 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingIndiana View Post
If the Pacers hadn't gone downhill morally (ie getting into brawls at games and ending up involved with shootings and strip club incidents late at night), I think they would have maintained more popularity despite their less than spectacular records.
At a minimum, I think people would be just as passionate about the Pacers as they would the Colts had things not gone the way they did for the Pacers. Fortunately, things seem to be slowing turning around for that franchise.

It has nothing to do with being bandwagon fans. Winning always stirs more passion (see: Chicago Blackhawks), and character matters, too. That's why the Colts appear more popular today.

That said, I think you can say that the Colts' success has translated into more passion for prep football in Indiana. Time will tell if that translates into Indiana producing more NFL talent.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:50 PM

797 posts, read 2,338,014 times
Here's a nice article about Indiana kids and basketball out of San Diego. Kind of how I think a lot of people feel about the sport here:

Butler's secret weapon: Indiana kids - SignOnSanDiego.com

Old 04-06-2011, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Just look at how many people are getting behind Butler.
You mean jumping on the bandwagon? If Butler ends up being a dud team for the next few years, half of those "getting behind Butler" won't even remember the coaches name. The bulk of the "fan base" are notorious for waiting for winning seasons before becoming a fan.

Quote:
If the Pacers hadn't gone downhill morally (ie getting into brawls at games and ending up involved with shootings and strip club incidents late at night), I think they would have maintained more popularity despite their less than spectacular records.
I disagree. I think had we had a solid, winning team, the fans could have cared less on what the players did. The problem is that when you only have a handful of good players, and they do something bad, they get suspended. Then the team ends up loosing many games, fans get depressed, and they jump off the bandwagon.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
It has nothing to do with being bandwagon fans.
If the people who were packing Conseco Fieldhouse were true fans, then the place wouldn't be over half empty during games where a non-popular visiting NBA team is playing. The only time the place gets packed is when a high profile visiting team is in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana