Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 02:29 AM

1 posts, read 9,426 times

Advertisements

Yes, this is a post about moving from Indiana to Hawaii. I really don't know where to start but about 28 years ago we did this with children. We didn't leave Indiana because we were unhappy, we left because we had a desire in our lives for something different. We left for a working vacation for 3 -4 years & we are still here.
We have local friends but we are still Haloe & some still carry that hate & treat us that way..
But, after all these years our hearts & souls seem to still have the Midwest memories. It's very hard to explain & really don't expect anyone to understan but that's ok... We have lived daily with the locals & have learned their lifestyles but at the same time we didn't realize we were giving up our own heritage.
So, at this stage in our life we have come to realize that we respect the Hawaiian culture but we must get back our native culture too, weather it be in Indiana, Idaho, or where ever you were born ..
Don't be afraid to go back to the things that are burning in your heart. Indiana has it beauty in the people like any where else * actually it has a lot of beautiful lakes & a different way of life. I guess you could call it down home..( where a neighbor is a REAL neighbor).
There is good & bad in each & every city & state but if you have a desire to try somewhere else then so be it & go do it!!! Not every City or State is going to please each & every one of us
The streets could be lined with Gold & most of us would find fault with something----
So, go out into the world & discover but don't be so alarmed one day that you miss & yearn for HOME....I guess you could call it the Circle Of Life..
Be well, be strong , give encouragement, but be silent unless there may be a threat you may want to warn someone about.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 05:37 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
this describes the boomerang effect about as well as anything else.

Aloha and come back whenever you are ready.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:07 AM

13 posts, read 48,173 times
I think it's why people leave during the winter and come back in the Summer....there's ALOT to love about Indiana..you just gotta have an open mind and look for it.

Gosh reading all this stuff makes me hate to move from here

Old 08-07-2007, 08:50 AM

You can always come back!

Old 08-07-2007, 06:21 PM

46 posts, read 210,997 times
Default Agreed

I lived in Colorado for 8 years but am originally from midwest. Recently returned to midwest because believe it or not I missed it. Mainly the friendly and honest people, the awesome lakes, and the fact that its not a firebomb brown desert. After moving back I appreciate the midwest alot more. Sometimes you need to see the grass on the other side to know which side is actually greener. The only thing Im not liking is the people who say "Why the hell dya move back here? This place sucks!" To which I reply "Its all about your atitude." Plus, the frigid winters will always weed out the weak.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:09 PM

799 posts, read 2,169,125 times
Default Jobs

I guess you go to where you can make a living. If you can just choose anywhere to get a job, you are lucky indeed in my book.
I think a lot of people are "spoiled" in this respect, they can have it all on their plate.
Maybe a lot don't move back because of the lack of jobs here.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:33 AM

I remember whenever me or my husband looked for work, it was like having another full time job. It's rare when a job comes looking for you. We found that headhunters are worthless. We used the job boards and scrounged around any professional contacts we may have made.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:58 PM

46 posts, read 210,997 times
The advantage of working for a large company with offices everywhere. I waited 6 years for that transfer though. I dont see how that constitutes as being spoiled. Maybee you also think that people who work their butts off in school for 4 years are spoiled when they get a better job than you?

Old 10-01-2007, 04:16 PM

231 posts, read 701,322 times
Smile Home Sweet Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereishome View Post
Yes, this is a post about moving from Indiana to Hawaii. I really don't know where to start but about 28 years ago we did this with children. We didn't leave Indiana because we were unhappy, we left because we had a desire in our lives for something different. We left for a working vacation for 3 -4 years & we are still here.
We have local friends but we are still Haloe & some still carry that hate & treat us that way..
But, after all these years our hearts & souls seem to still have the Midwest memories. It's very hard to explain & really don't expect anyone to understan but that's ok... We have lived daily with the locals & have learned their lifestyles but at the same time we didn't realize we were giving up our own heritage.
So, at this stage in our life we have come to realize that we respect the Hawaiian culture but we must get back our native culture too, weather it be in Indiana, Idaho, or where ever you were born ..
Don't be afraid to go back to the things that are burning in your heart. Indiana has it beauty in the people like any where else * actually it has a lot of beautiful lakes & a different way of life. I guess you could call it down home..( where a neighbor is a REAL neighbor).
There is good & bad in each & every city & state but if you have a desire to try somewhere else then so be it & go do it!!! Not every City or State is going to please each & every one of us
The streets could be lined with Gold & most of us would find fault with something----
So, go out into the world & discover but don't be so alarmed one day that you miss & yearn for HOME....I guess you could call it the Circle Of Life..
Be well, be strong , give encouragement, but be silent unless there may be a threat you may want to warn someone about.....
You an Jamh13, couldn't have said it better. Home will always be home, especially when your from Indiana. I am so sick of living in Florida. I keep telling my husband: "I WANT TO GO HOME!" and he knows exactly where that is, Indiana, for me anyway.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:18 PM

104 posts, read 411,994 times
I have been in CO since Jul 1995. Before lived in Carmel and Evansville. Started a job in January where eventually have work at home privileges. I have been thinking of buying property like in the downtown Carmel area near the Monon Trail. I would come back part time but retain Colorado residence though for the purposes of car tags, driver license, taxes and voting.

BTW, where in CO did you live at ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamh13 View Post
I lived in Colorado for 8 years but am originally from midwest. Recently returned to midwest because believe it or not I missed it. Mainly the friendly and honest people, the awesome lakes, and the fact that its not a firebomb brown desert. After moving back I appreciate the midwest alot more. Sometimes you need to see the grass on the other side to know which side is actually greener. The only thing Im not liking is the people who say "Why the hell dya move back here? This place sucks!" To which I reply "Its all about your atitude." Plus, the frigid winters will always weed out the weak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana