Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 11:02 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,923,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurm34 View Post
Thank you all for your information. We found a potential house at the cross section of Northern Avenue and Bulla Rd. Is anyone familiar with this area, and if so, would you recommend it?
Never been to that neighborhood before, but drove by this morning. The houses are quite small, but most seem to be in pretty good condition. It's only a block or two to State Road 23, which is the main drag through town and up to the Mall. You could definitely bike to campus from here, using almost all side streets. I have no idea if this is a hot crime area, but you can probably check that online. It seemed like a very pleasant spot.

As for traffic, it's all relative. Having moved to the area from metro DC, we are constantly surprised that one need not allow for traffic delays in driving nearly anywhere at nearly anytime. We always get there early. There are a lot of annoying traffic lights that are not very well synchronized, but that's not really a traffic issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 12:36 PM

625 posts, read 1,811,193 times
Yes, I think you will enjoy that area. In my opinion, the more north you go, the better

Old 06-01-2011, 03:40 PM

4 posts, read 11,628 times
Thank you both very much for your reply!

Does anyone have an opinion on the River Park area?

Also, we found a potential house on the corner of St. Louis and Washington, south of the ND campus, just north of Howard Park, and just east of the "East Race" portion of the river. Any thoughts?

We appreciate all of the comments.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:06 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,923,464 times
I'm not that familiar with River Park area.
The house near Howard Park will be much closer to downtown, but further from campus and a more challenging bike commute, if you're still considering that option. It's closer to many more entertainment/dining spots, but also closer to locations with higher crime than the other house you were considering.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:28 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,104,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurm34 View Post
My wife, dog and I will be moving to South Bend for law school. We've never been to the area and are looking online for homes. I am wondering if there are particular areas/neighborhoods close to ND that would be safer than others. Any thoughts about the area are welcomed and appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I knew a student one time that rented a home right on of all places Rockne Drive
I remember that place like it was yesterday been 15 20 years now
but it was real close to the campus - she would walk to her classes and once we walked to a football game - seemed like a nice location

i am sure if you google that street you would find an aerial view
not sure how that area is now but back then she did not have any problems at all

Old 06-03-2011, 05:23 PM

625 posts, read 1,811,193 times
The more south you go, the more into the city you go (Which for South Bend isn't necessarily a good thing ) You are closer to entertainment though. From what I have heard in the news, River Park has it's fair share of problems. But that is really close to Mishawaka so that is positive in that retrospect. It is also close to Indiana University South Bend's campus as well as Bethel College. That is usually a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana