Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2007, 06:58 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,340,440 times

Advertisements

Something made me start thinking about what types of local products are made in different cities/towns in our state.

For example, in Bloomington we have Oliver Winery, Butler Winery, Bloomington Brewing Company (beer), Upland Brewing Company (I'm seeing a trend here--maybe because it's a college town?) On the other end of the spectrum we have Dillman Farms. They produce delicious fruit butters, jams, jellies, salsas, etc.

I would love to learn about other local products. (For example, when we travel to Chicago or NW IN via 65 there is a group of silos with the name of a popcorn brand on it. Starts with a "G" I think. I always wonder if they sell it in a little shop or something.) It could be an interesting thread for a Sunday morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 08:32 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,723,787 times

Here's the popcorn place on 65. Popcorn is a big industry in Indiana. Pop Weaver's popcorn is also here:

Pop Weaver - Welcome

Orville Redenbacher used to be in Indiana, but now it exists as only a brand name owned by ConAgra.

My town makes lots and lots and lots and lots of engines, fuel systems too. Simmons Winery is here. We also make car seats, Boudreau's Butt Paste (the best diaper rash creme ever)

Old 08-19-2007, 01:33 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,340,440 times
I forgot about one of our biggest companies--Cook Inc. that makes medical devices and supplies.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:23 PM

48 posts, read 129,484 times
Kokomo has Kokomo Opalescent Glass factory. Oldest one still working. They make stained glass & sell to the general public, artists, companies. They also have a store onsite with things for sale that are made locally.

Elwood has 2 glass factories. They make & sell things like paper weights, decorative items, lamp shades.

RED GOLD tomatoes is in Elwood. The public can buy cases of different kinds of tomato products & catsup.

Ft.Wayne has Seyfert's potato chips and DeBrand's Chocolates. Also, Vera Bradley purses/wallets/travel bags.

Zachary Candy Company is in Frankfort I think. South Bend also has a candy company. The state site IN.gov might have a list.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:55 AM

2 posts, read 6,034 times
I realize that this thread is 4 years old. But, I just now came across it and think this is a wonderful ideal to begin all over again. Since the first post, look at how our economy, both local-state has fallen off. I think we Hooisers should start buying and supporting as many local businesses as we can and when possible. There are many ways to do just that.

There are over 30 wineries in Indiana.
Poly-wood products that make patio furniture out of recyled milk cartons.
Socks made in Bloomington, Indiana
Several candy factories
Clabber Girl in Terre Haute
Bar Keepers Friend
Red Gold has four lables with over 100 items including salsa, Italian sauces
Several Glass factories

This just scratches the surface. Please post from you own town/city as too what you make or produce

Old 09-24-2011, 11:59 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,511,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooiserdaddy View Post
I realize that this thread is 4 years old. But, I just now came across it and think this is a wonderful ideal to begin all over again. Since the first post, look at how our economy, both local-state has fallen off. I think we Hooisers should start buying and supporting as many local businesses as we can and when possible. There are many ways to do just that.

There are over 30 wineries in Indiana.
Poly-wood products that make patio furniture out of recyled milk cartons.
Socks made in Bloomington, Indiana
Several candy factories
Clabber Girl in Terre Haute
Bar Keepers Friend
Red Gold has four lables with over 100 items including salsa, Italian sauces
Several Glass factories

This just scratches the surface. Please post from you own town/city as too what you make or produce
yes and it will help keep our states unemployment below the national average

As we like to say Indiana is open for business.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:28 PM

625 posts, read 1,810,466 times
Elkhart County:

Instruments - Blessing, Conn-Selmer

RVs - Keystone, Dutchmen, Monaco, Forest River, Jayco, Newmar, Renegade, Carriage, Gulf Stream, Heartland, Winnebago

Elkhart County also is known for making boats, trucks, buses, and any other thing that is involved with transportation

Old 09-24-2011, 05:43 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,723,787 times
Columbus ... Cummins

Old 09-26-2011, 06:46 PM

2 posts, read 6,034 times
I forgot about the pop corn products...pop weaver, yoder popcorn come to mind. If you go to the Red Gold website, you will find that they make about 100 different products labled under four name brands.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:19 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,511,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooiserdaddy View Post
I forgot about the pop corn products...pop weaver, yoder popcorn come to mind. If you go to the Red Gold website, you will find that they make about 100 different products labled under four name brands.
Indiana popcorn is Da Bomb Litterly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana