Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2012, 03:06 PM

13 posts, read 30,914 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move out to Princeton I have never been there but have some cousins that live there.. I was hoping to get a better feel for the area. My cousins love it there.. But I would like honest answers of why or why not to live there.

I am a mother of an 11 year old boy, I will be looking for any type of work since I have a degree in Criminal Justice and that field does not seem to be hiring I have no choice but to take anything.. I need to be able to live within my means and hope not to struggle. I am currently in California I was born and raised here and lived in Utah for about 5 months during the winter... I am excited about going there I just want to make sure it will be a right fit for us before I do move...

Thanks in advance for your answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 04:07 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
You have a criminal justice degree and want to move to Princeton, Indiana? Princeton is a quaint little town, but its economy is driven almost exclusively by Toyota. I have a couple of friends that work at Toyota as temps, they are hoping with the recent announcement of job increases that they can turn those temps jobs into permanent ones. I am not sure what else someone can do for work in Princeton, maybe commute to Evansville?

Old 02-19-2012, 04:16 PM

I am just looking to get out of California, I miss the small town thing.. I grew up in a town with only about 2,000 people... I have been in the city for 12 years and ready for the slower pace again... I would love to work in my field but I can manage not doing so... I cant have a long commute so that is one thing I will be looking at... Other then that what is it like there.. I know its cold... It was COLD in Utah compared to California... I am worried about the humidity there not sure how we will adjust...

Old 02-19-2012, 04:32 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
It is not that cold in Princeton. It is however, very humid. That is going to be quite a shock. There are about 8 or 9 thousand people in Princeton, so I am sure there some type of work to find. It is not devoid of life. It is maybe a 40 minute drive to downtown Evansville if you start looking for work in Evansville. I do not know much more about Princeton, I've never lived there; only near there in Evansville. Princeton has some chain food and big box retail, and Toyota, I really do not know much else specifically about Princeton.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:27 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,511,029 times
I have good news for the OP.
BREAKING: Toyota Adding 400 Jobs in Princeton - Newsroom - Inside INdiana Business with Gerry Dick
Surprised nobody mentioned this.
Toyota is adding 400 jobs in Princeton Indiana so there are jobs avaiable but they have already begun hiring so they won't be open forever
Also one thing youll notice is your cost of living will drop about 50% from Californiastan. Taxes will also drop by 40%. And our state has a balanced budget so taxes are not going up. Actually they are going down.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:13 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,531,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
I have good news for the OP.
BREAKING: Toyota Adding 400 Jobs in Princeton - Newsroom - Inside INdiana Business with Gerry Dick
Surprised nobody mentioned this.
Toyota is adding 400 jobs in Princeton Indiana so there are jobs avaiable but they have already begun hiring so they won't be open forever
Also one thing youll notice is your cost of living will drop about 50% from Californiastan. Taxes will also drop by 40%. And our state has a balanced budget so taxes are not going up. Actually they are going down.
1. You really need to knock off the snarky use of slang terms like "Californistan." It serves no purpose other than to degrade another's home and does everyone here a disservice.

2. Taxes for individuals are not going down in Indiana. Rates may currently not be going up, but nobody's individual tax burden is going down. Stop spreading misinformation. You should leave some responses to the adults on this board.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
1. You really need to knock off the snarky use of slang terms like "Californistan." It serves no purpose other than to degrade another's home and does everyone here a disservice.

2. Taxes for individuals are not going down in Indiana. Rates may currently not be going up, but nobody's individual tax burden is going down. Stop spreading misinformation. You should leave some responses to the adults on this board.
Yes they are going down relative to other states.
lets say X state charges tax wise on my income 3%. lets say Y State Charges 3.4%
now lets say X State raises its income tax from 3% to 5%. well Y State keeps its current rate.
X State=Illinois
Y State=Indiana.
in all honesty theres only a handful of states that haven't increased taxes during the recession.
you could count the states that didn't with 2 hands. out of 50 states thats not good.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:23 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,531,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Yes they are going down relative to other states.
lets say X state charges tax wise on my income 3%. lets say Y State Charges 3.4%
now lets say X State raises its income tax from 3% to 5%. well Y State keeps its current rate.
X State=Illinois
Y State=Indiana.
in all honesty theres only a handful of states that haven't increased taxes during the recession.
you could count the states that didn't with 2 hands. out of 50 states thats not good.
I highly doubt that Hoosier taxpayers felt they received a tax decrease when IL raised its personal income tax rates. I understand the relative argument, but your statement to the OP was flat-out misleading.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I highly doubt that Hoosier taxpayers felt they received a tax decrease when IL raised its personal income tax rates. I understand the relative argument, but your statement to the OP was flat-out misleading.
well also considering as i said very few states haven't raised taxes this recession it brings peace of mind
Having a Balanced Budget will keep our taxes low and at the same rates for a long time well other states like Illinois contiune to spend into debt hell and raise their taxes again.
Last year they raised the rates from 3% to 5% and they say its Temporary.... LOL ya really i would hope nobody is that dumb to buy into that. Heck i suspect another tax increase for Illinois shortly.
California can expect another tax increase also.
Plus that article i mentioned to the OP about the 400 toyota jobs is just what the OP asked for

Old 02-21-2012, 01:40 AM

Thanks for the info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana