Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2012, 05:30 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,017 times

Advertisements

Why do people say it is stuck up and rich? I've been through it and it's not that nice, and the average household income is only 53k. Compare that to fishers, IN, not really considered rich or stuck up outside of Indy and it's a lot nicer and incomes a lot higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 11:44 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Why do people say it is stuck up and rich? I've been through it and it's not that nice, and the average household income is only 53k. Compare that to fishers, IN, not really considered rich or stuck up outside of Indy and it's a lot nicer and incomes a lot higher.
For starters, the Census has Newburgh's mean household income estimated closer to 70K a year, not the 53K on wikipedia. City Data has the median household income around 68K annual. A lot of those stats get skewed by the fact that most of the area people refer to as Newburgh is not actually Newburgh. Hwy 66, as it travels east from Evansville never goes into Newburgh. All that sprawl is in the unincorporated part of Ohio Township that happens to be close to the actual town of Newburgh, which is really a speck on the river surrounded by unincorporated development.

Comparing that to Fishers is probably not fair. Not only is Evansville less affluent than Indianapolis to begin with, but Fishers owns a lot of the wealth and development in its limits. Newburgh doesn't.

However, that part of Warrick County is Evansville's suburb now. There are some folks moving out to Newburgh, and then looking down on the folks who stay in Evansville. That is an unfortunate nature of the human existence anymore.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:15 PM

I was wondering how accurate Wikipedia was on this one. I think the population was way off also. So do you think Newburgh is more stuck up than Indys northern burbs. I never though people outside of carmel were stuck up.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:15 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,347 times
Quote:
I was wondering how accurate Wikipedia was on this one. I think the population was way off also. So do you think Newburgh is more stuck up than Indys northern burbs. I never though people outside of carmel were stuck up.
I never thought the northern suburbs were that stuck up to begin with.

Every large city has affluent high-income areas that are perceived to be pompous, pretentious, etc.

Also, keep in mind that a significant portion of the population in that area consists of affluent transplants from other states (California, Georgia, etc), which I'm guessing is not the case for Southwest Indiana.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:17 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
I don't think people in Newburgh are stuck up at all. I do think there is an attitude in the Evansville area that moving out to the country is just what you do, and the only people that stay in Evansville are poeple too poor to move. Does some of that come from folks in Newburgh? Probably. Does that same attitude exist in Northern Vanderburgh County or Posey County. Yes. I don't think it is a stuck up attitude per se, just a reflection of the culture that exists in the Evansville area.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I don't think people in Newburgh are stuck up at all. I do think there is an attitude in the Evansville area that moving out to the country is just what you do, and the only people that stay in Evansville are poeple too poor to move. Does some of that come from folks in Newburgh? Probably. Does that same attitude exist in Northern Vanderburgh County or Posey County. Yes. I don't think it is a stuck up attitude per se, just a reflection of the culture that exists in the Evansville area.
I'm not sure about Posey county, but I think they are known as "hicks", especially if your anywhere outside Vanderburgh county, unless its Newburgh. I also think the "eastsiders" and Newburgh are almost one in the same. Both have the same type of residents who are much more white collar. I think even a lot of far west siders are stuck up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana