Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 03:38 PM

410 posts, read 492,175 times

Advertisements

Business - Jason Margolis - Go Midwest, Young Man: Indiana's Plan to Steal California Jobs - The Atlantic

Quote:
Some Californians may have recently noticed an advertisement with a coffee mug and the word “Indiana” written in the milky latte foam. A crumpled napkin sits next to the mug with this scribbled on it: “Admit it, you find me fiscally attractive.” On another napkin it reads, “Indiana: low taxes, pro-business, fiscally responsible.”
This was posted on my social networking site I used, tumblr, and some of the responses were rather mean, calling the the people of Indiana Hicks. I bet some of these responses have a grain of truth to the, but still. I was more upset about the responses than what the state of Indiana may or may not be.

My intention is not to troll when I post this, but I quote the responses:

Quote:
(1)Pro-business = anti-union Low-taxes = gutted the public school system, so only come here if you don’t have kids.

(2) I already see these Hicks trying to enquire about the tech companies here in teh Silicon Valley…too bad most of them don’t know WTF they’re talkinag about…BOO!! lol

(3) This is an appropriate place to remind you that Indiana is the last state in the nation to allow alcohol sales on Sundays. I’ll reappropriate a quote from Lucille Bluth here: I’d rather be dead in California than alive in Indiana.

(4) Alternate headline: “Indiana uses puns to attract businesses.”

(5) It’s also about job attractiveness for the people you hire. If you want to get the best you can’t be in a ****ty location like Indiana.

(6) lovely thoughts, but indiana is simultaneously making itself less attractive to young workers, particularly those with families or who hope to have families. creationism, abstinence-only sex education, these discourage educated people from moving to your state. as does moving to ban same-sex marriage. and we know FOR A FACT that right-to-work laws are economy-killers, and indiana just passed right-to-work earlier this year. so let’s not polish the trumpets just yet, ok?

(7) Maybe if it were Pawnee, but otherwise the only important thing in Indiana is John Green.

(8)
THIS **** MAKE A PIMP LAUGH
A less mean spirited comment:

Quote:
Las Vegas has been trying this for years. Company execs keep their businesses in California for the lifestyle, the weather, educated workforce and an intangible creative and entrepreneurial spirit that exists in Cali, among other reasons. Lower taxes and incentives are usually last on the list of reasons companies relocate.
So, long time residents of Indiana and business owners what do you think? Are the criticisms deserved? Do you think it has something to offer to families for relocation even thought it may be Indiana?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 04:12 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
I really don't care what anyone in California thinks of Indiana.

I can already prepare you for the "Californistan" references this thread is going to bring out from, probably the only person who cares.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:34 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,515,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I really don't care what anyone in California thinks of Indiana.

I can already prepare you for the "Californistan" references this thread is going to bring out from, probably the only person who cares.
Its The Peoples Republic of Californiastan to you

But anyway here are some reasons why i like Indiana over California anyday.
#1 as the article mentioned our state has a low tax balanced state budget.
#2 taxes are less than half that as Californiastan
#3 Real Estate prices are 3-10X lower than Californiastan. Average Price for a home in Indianapolis the fastest growing city/metro in the Midwest: 105,000
#4 Our state is within a days drive to 80% of the US population.
#5 we dont have a high earthquake risk like California
#6 we arent the laughing stock of the nation like California is
#7 we dont have to deal with Tsunamis and Lake Michigan is the PERFECT Ocean substitute for anyone. No hurricane risk either. well just get the left over showers
#8 we dont have to have idiots like Jerry Brown leading our state.
#9 people are actually retiring to Indiana from California. Heck i have some elderly friends one in her 90s and one in her 70s that moved to Indiana to retire and they love it here. They couldnt retire in California cause its so expensive.
#10 California has a 45% higher cost of living than Indiana.
#11 California is being overrun by Illegal mexican immigrants. Indiana isnt
#12 California is pot nation. In Indiana its illegal for you to have pot
#13 California has some of the worse crime in the nation. Especially around LA/SF/San Diego etc.
#14 California has some of the WORST schools in the country well Indiana is in the top 15 for schools and still improving due to education reform.
#15 California is bleeding massive amounts of people to other states like Indiana/Texas where as Indiana is actually bringing in people from other states for a net positive domestic migration

Need i say more?

Old 05-24-2012, 04:58 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Its The Peoples Republic of Californiastan to you
Actually to me, it's absolutely unequivocally irrelevant on a day to day basis. The only time I think about California is when I am planning a vacation or perusing the interwebz.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:27 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
California might be pot nation but Indiana is Meth capital.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
California might be pot nation but Indiana is Meth capital.

Actually that would be Missouri

Old 05-25-2012, 08:11 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Actually that would be Missouri
Wow, Indiana slipped to 3rd in the 2012 rankings but we still beat Californication because they aren't even in the top ten for Meth.

And Cali doesn't even get honorable mention on the lists for obesity, smoking, and inactivity.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Wow, Indiana slipped to 3rd in the 2012 rankings but we still beat Californication because they aren't even in the top ten for Meth.

And Cali doesn't even get honorable mention on the lists for obesity, smoking, and inactivity.
lol because California is active doesnt make it a better state.
Thats the peoples choice not the state.
anyway Indiana still has a good workforce.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:50 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,743,229 times
Are you moving to Evansville anytime soon?

Old 05-26-2012, 12:12 AM
REM

368 posts, read 995,260 times
They're right, our 20th century horse**** "christian valued" based laws are a big turn off for most major businesses and the youth that follow them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana